PDA

View Full Version : 50 gallon Skimmer or No?

OceanDweller
12/07/2008, 12:33 AM
I am designing an energy efficient 50 gallon with 50 gallon sump underneath in the stand. Will be SPS system with light fish bio-load and heavy mobile invert bio-load. I will have a refugium but am having serious doubts about putting my octopus dnw200 underneath due to heat via the pump, the size of room it will take up, maintenance, and the $ of selling it I will be able to use toward coral. I am planning on doing large water changes and if I go skimmerless I will be able to incorporate a very large refugium, mangroves/DSB/Cheato/already have grow lights/zenia. I am planning on running dual reactors of carbon and phosban downdraft and suppose I could always run the skimmer out of water downdraft somehow with some mods to the footprint. I would hate to sell the skimmer and then decide to use it any thought?

Hop
12/07/2008, 01:11 AM
Personally if I was thinking SPS, there wouldn't be a choice. Yes skimmer, it will remove more in that space than if the same realestate was a fuge.

crvz
12/07/2008, 09:36 AM
I agree with Hop, on the type of system you're looking I think you'll be more successful relying on mechanical filtration as opposed to biological. If you don't like that skimmer, consider a different one (though in my opinion it's a good option for that sized tank).

Aquabucket
12/07/2008, 02:32 PM
I think you can do quite well if you keep your fish load on the low side of things. I would not skimp on lighting for your fuge though.

OceanDweller
12/07/2008, 05:42 PM
I am glad I got some advanced posts on the subject. I really like the skimmer and have slightly modded it for performance however it runs around 65 watts and I am dead split on the space issue. I am thinking more and more about large 20-30% system bi-weekly water changes instead.

Thank you for the idea about the lighting, I just picked up two 13 watt 10K PC's and am planning on supplementing with 4 13 watt spiral PC bulbs on 8" reflectors. Still split 50/50 300 would be about 20 fairly high quality frags...

Hop
12/07/2008, 05:55 PM
Aquabucket is a good man to speak with in regard to going skimmerless... but I couldn't do it, I know me too well;)

JustinReef
12/07/2008, 06:29 PM
It can be tough with sps. I went skimmerless with my 68G...that lasted a month. It was a good experience and my corals did quite well but I (like you) already had a good skimmer and just decided not to use it. After a few weeks of the water changes I decided enough was enough and I have a skimmer hooked up again. Not to mention the extra cost of weekly water changes was not going to be fun.

Its amazing what the skimmer pulled out the first HOUR of being set up on the tank again...kind of scary.

Jflip2002
12/07/2008, 06:36 PM
Energy efficient is one thing, and I can understand that. But a good skimmer doesnt take much electricity. My skimmer tanks 37w, and is rated for ~250g. I have an different octopus, so I cant imagine yours running on much more electricity (if more at all). So the money on electricity would be well spent. Especially with SPS.

OceanDweller
12/07/2008, 06:58 PM
My pump is in fact around 65 watts its the 3000 needle wheel octopus mesmodded venturi mod. Should cost around 10$ a month here to operate the skimmer's main pump. We will be moving to the gulf coast in a week and I will be able to collect live food and some inverts.

DetectiveTofu
12/07/2008, 06:58 PM
skimmer