PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn Falling out of it's Skeleton

MrsJasonH
12/07/2008, 03:21 PM
I have a frogspawn that looked just fine up until night before last. One of the heads completely fell out of the skeleton and had been sitting on the substrate before we even noticed it. My husband tied it to a rock and put it in a low flow part of the tank and it looks happier than it ever has since we brought it home.

My question is, what causes that and is it possible that it will survive or should we try to stick it back to the skeleton?

The tank is about 4 months old, and we were having some param issues because of some stupid mistakes on our part, but those are all back to good again.

wilmonkey5
12/07/2008, 03:50 PM
sounds like it just dropped a baby if its happy then leave it alone

kpendarvis
12/07/2008, 05:51 PM
It should make a new skeleton on the rock where it is now. This happens every so often. Most likely a form of reproduction as you said it is very healthy.

NCSUsalt
12/08/2008, 12:44 AM
polyp bailout, the corals way of leaving an area it did not like. Had this happen yesterday to about 3 heads of frogspawn after I moved the powerhead and accidentally gave them too much flow.

bulfraw215
12/08/2008, 09:30 PM
It can also be from high NO3 or PO4. I had this happen to my first frogspawn many many moons ago. What are your NO3 and PO4 levels currently at?

Solitaryensis
12/08/2008, 11:09 PM
It can also mean it is unhealthy/dying. I suspect that it is dying, especially since you said your params were off.

Snprhed
12/09/2008, 08:16 AM
low mag can cause it also

gindobuck
12/10/2008, 12:01 AM
is the skeleton on the frogspawn related to calcium levels in the water?
i just got a frog spawn and was wondering what elements is important for its growth?
does it need the stability as sps does?