PDA

View Full Version : Frag Glue??

ginger7286
12/07/2008, 06:41 PM
I am going to start gluing my first frags into place. I have been looking at a couple of different glues and sticks offered on the market. Which is better to use and can they all be used underwater without harming the livestock?

cdness
12/08/2008, 11:32 AM
just use the simple cheap super glue gel. It works really well.

rbrusletto
12/08/2008, 12:19 PM
Make sure that the active ingredient in the super glue is cyanoacrylate. I normally use the loctite brand gel superglue, because of it's thickness, and the quickness in which it sets.

emm0909
12/08/2008, 12:23 PM
I used normal super glue for a while. Lern right now that normal super glue is the worse thing you could use. Super glue gel is where it's at. I also have the loctite brand but you can really buy it anywhere. Get cheap stuff. Loctite is really thick, the bottle is nice and it works! I have tried to use putty that you mix up. It's the stuff that comes in a tube. That stuff is garbage. Unless you're gluing rocks together or fragging duncans don't waste your time.

crazykrammm
12/11/2008, 04:02 PM
i use regular super glue. the gel kind works best. just dip it in marine water before you put it in your tank.

Garage1217
12/20/2008, 04:09 PM
I use superglue gel from the dollar store. 3 packs for $1.00 - Name brand. used it for years.

GPhiAce
12/24/2008, 10:36 AM
Super glue gel (the one in the blue tube, duro I think) from walmart. It works great. The thinker the gel (some brands are not as thick), the better. You can attach frags to plugs, disks or rock first (out of water), then use the same glue to attach that to rock under water. It takes a little practice to get it to attach underwater, but can easily be done. Oh and it's cheap. 2 pack for $1.50

coralguy1
01/21/2009, 10:20 PM
The stuff from boston aqua farms works great.

shapermike
01/21/2009, 10:57 PM
If you're planning on fragging on a regular basis and using some volume you'll find that those little tubes of glue kinda suck. You can only glue 2-3 frags with one tube. I use "Reef Glue" gel. You can get a 1 oz bottle for about $6 from OceansWonders.com. It has a built in pin in the lid so it won't clog and it's really super thick.

iamwrasseman
01/21/2009, 10:58 PM
i use the gel too ,its the best way IMO

Mako Shark II
01/22/2009, 10:16 PM
CorAffix™
Cyanoacrylate Adhesive
NEW CorAffix is an ethyl cyanoacrylate bonding compound with viscosity similar to honey. Use it for attaching stony corals, gorgonians, and other sessile invertebrates in natural positions on the live rock in aquariums. Also for attaching coral “frags” in coral culturing. Use with AquaStik™ to attach larger coral heads. First put freshly mixed AquaStik on live rock. Push the coral base into the AquaStik and then remove the coral, leaving the impression of the coral base in the AquaStik left in place on the live rock. Allow the AquaStik to harden for 20 minutes. Next put CorAffix on the coral base and press it into the impression made in the AquaStik, forming a secure bond in 20 seconds. Available in a 2 oz bottle with an elongated tip that can be cut to the desired orifice size. 56.7g (2oz)

http://www.twolittlefishies.com/tlf_prod_access.html?lang_id=1

xXReefXx
01/25/2009, 02:46 AM
this is exactly wat i use, you can get it at wal-mart or home depot. i frag bout 200 sps frags and used only 2tubs. this stuff works very well, if you want to save $$ just one lil drop is more then enough, its not necessary to squeeze out half a tub just for a frag.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/xXreefXx08/518DlsCDf8L_SL500_AA280_.jpg

reeftard73
01/25/2009, 05:44 AM
I second the guy above who mentioned the Dolar Store Super Glue Gel...3 tubes for a buck and it works like a champ. I've been using it for years without any issues.

Mako Shark II
01/25/2009, 01:10 PM
I agree that generic "super glue" will work, but oftentimes, you need to use the epoxy sandwich method:

Mounted Frag
glue (new application)
expoxy (new)
glue (new)
Substrate