PDA

View Full Version : 210 stand hold up?

rsantangelo3@co
12/07/2008, 07:23 PM
I will be getting a 210 gallon tank. CAn it hold on a 150gallon stand being 6" wider? Or will it cause the stand to collapse?

Moonstream
12/07/2008, 08:56 PM
a tank that big needs a stand that is the right side, wouldnt even consider it being on a stand that is too small.

crvz
12/08/2008, 08:43 AM
It needs even support. The stand probably wont fail, but the tank likely will.

maroun.c
12/08/2008, 10:16 AM
The tank weight gets distributes over the corners and edges of the tank and having one edge of the tank and two corners not supported is a receipe for disaster. For my 150 they cut the stand 2 inches short of the tank and I didn't even test the tank on it due to risk of the ntak cracking. I would simply add 6 inch to the existing stand with appropriate leg support for those and having them braced or welded on the stand to have it become one piece. It is very important to have a qualified person do it as the minor height difference will endup putting pressure on aside which might cause a failure. Is it a metallic stand? is the tank glass or acrylic? a foam layer below the tank ( if your tank requires or can take one) can be of help. Check out the first few pages of my build thread where I remember putting pics of hte stand modification.
in your case a difference of 6 inch is worse as it might cause you to have to modify your overflow position or tubing to have it avoid the added stand parts... in my case 2 inches were ugly to deal with as I had very limited space to jam the 3 holes of my overflow and if I were to do it again I would simply redo the stand to match with the tank dimensions.

agreeive?fish
12/08/2008, 10:57 AM
i would just get or make a new stand...