PDA

View Full Version : good skimmer for a 20 long

saltyboy84
12/07/2008, 08:33 PM
hi, im just asking around for some info on equipment for a 20 long im going to be seting up in a few months and i was wondering what is a good skimmer for a 20 long that is at a good price and work very well

redfishsc
12/07/2008, 09:09 PM
This is not an easy subject. There are a LOT Of good skimmer made for larger tanks that will work well for you, but they will usually require a sump to work.

However, a LOT of people I know love the CPR BakPaks--- I've seen them in action and they are the right size and get the job done right. Get the ones that do NOT have the "bio-bale" in them, it just becomes a nitrate sink collecting crap and detritus.

BTW so long as you stay on top of your water changes (10% weekly) and don't have a heavy fish load (nor feed your corals overly) you really don't need a skimmer.

Before I spent the money on a skimmer, I'd spend the money on a lighted fuge (a cheap 5 or 10g will work perfect for this) and grow yourself a huge ball of cheato algae (clumps usually available at an LFS somewhere). Just light it with a cheap 26W CF bulb from Walmart (the kind that screws into a lamp socket). Light it 24/7 and let it grow. I do this on my fairly-heavily stocked 10g nano and I have no nitrates, no phosphates. No algae problems.

tampa-reefer
12/07/2008, 09:20 PM
Tunze DOC 9002 hands down.

saltyboy84
12/07/2008, 09:34 PM
well i was thinking of adding a 20L sump also but i dont really want to spend the money on a skimmer that goes in a sump because they can be pricey, at least i think that.

i also have a big ball of cheato in a 2.5 and it has takin over the 2.5 and i have a nice amount in my 5.5 nano, so this system that im going to setup will have an overflow and a sump so i can hide all my equipment

saltyboy84
12/07/2008, 09:36 PM
also i was thinking of going bare-bottom but i do like the way sand looks but im still desiding on BB or SB

tampa-reefer
12/07/2008, 09:42 PM
If you do not like the bare look, try white starboard on the bottom.

You can also use a large Aquaclear (Hagen) HOB filter and mod into a fuge to use your chaeto.

saltyboy84
12/07/2008, 09:59 PM
i do like the aquaclear idea i did the same on my 5.5 but i never used a sump before and it will help me to hide all my equipment and i dont really like the sound of water when it hits water, cuz this tank will be going in my room

GaryR1984
12/07/2008, 11:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13896614#post13896614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tampa-reefer
Tunze DOC 9002 hands down.

I just got this skimmer and it's the best I have owned and takes the smallest amount of space. Truly amazing.

Jadams
12/07/2008, 11:54 PM
+1 on the Tunze Skimmer. I love this skimmer and am currently using it on my 24g nano cube.

skrtcsr
12/12/2008, 06:26 PM
I really like the ASM skimmers they make one for almost every size tank and they are affordable. I run a G4 on my 240G and it has been amazing!

seaworldkid1
12/12/2008, 09:15 PM
the Tunze 9002 is amazing and since it will be up for just a couple of months its held on with a mag so easy removal and you can use it for anything. i love mine in my solana.

E.intheC
12/12/2008, 11:05 PM
I have the BakPak and love it. Great skimmer.
I've heard Tunze's are great as well. Very quiet..

burtbollinger
12/12/2008, 11:22 PM
good skimmers ive used are the tunze and the aqua c remora nano...

currently excited about the warner marine h1....

ive heard mixed about cpr...no personal xp tho....

E.intheC
12/12/2008, 11:34 PM
I was wondering when the aqua c remora was going to be mentioned.. I've heard mixed reviews as well.. however I do have personal experience.. too loud, doesn't work well at all (Bak Pak is much better IMO) and creates tons of micro bubbles..

Timanator
12/13/2008, 06:53 AM
Bakpak is awesome, so is the Sapphire Skimmers.

E.intheC
12/13/2008, 09:05 AM
I've heard very good things about the Sapphire skimmers. There's a thread running about them now. They're too new for me, but I'm watching for them.

Has anyone heard anything about the Euroreef nano's that were supposed to come out? I imagine they'd be great skimmers.. but I think they've put that project on hold for a while

SnookSlayer08
12/13/2008, 09:11 AM
If your not getting heavy into sps just get a fuge. I have heard good things about the coralife ss65 though, you can usually find used ones for $50.

BTW: Tampa-Reefer, nice snook in your avatar, beisdes reefing, snook fishing is one of my favorite things to do. Especially living in the snook capitol of the world Jupiter, FL.

kev apsley
12/13/2008, 09:22 AM
The only negative I have heard and read about the AquaC Remora's is that they tend to put a lot of microbubbles into your tank, does anybody know if this is true?

E.intheC
12/13/2008, 09:26 AM
kev.. it's VERY loud too.. I had the skimmer for a few months on my old 55 gallon reef.. they definitely put microbubbles in your tank. It's tough to find a skimmer that doesn't put at least a small amount of bubbles back in your tank. They do mix air and water together, so... but anyway, if I were to buy something brand new, and spend the money that an Aqua C costs.. I could think of many skimmers that I'd rather buy than that.

pheromo
12/13/2008, 09:45 AM
i have a nanoremora with a 1200 on it ... i have to say i'm sometimes surprised at how nasty the stuff is it puts out ...but it does throw tons of microbubbles out ...

kev apsley
12/13/2008, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13934155#post13934155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E.intheC
kev.. it's VERY loud too.. I had the skimmer for a few months on my old 55 gallon reef.. they definitely put microbubbles in your tank. It's tough to find a skimmer that doesn't put at least a small amount of bubbles back in your tank. They do mix air and water together, so... but anyway, if I were to buy something brand new, and spend the money that an Aqua C costs.. I could think of many skimmers that I'd rather buy than that. [/

Thanks for the info! BTW you seem pretty knowledgable about nano skimmers, I'm in the market for one to use on my 28g JBJ Cube...can you throw me a couple idea's as to what are some of the better nano skimmers out there, not worried about cost but rather ease of use and quality. I was looking at teh Warner Marine H-1 and the Deltec...any recommendations would be great!

E.intheC
12/13/2008, 02:53 PM
[i]

Thanks for the info! BTW you seem pretty knowledgable about nano skimmers, I'm in the market for one to use on my 28g JBJ Cube...can you throw me a couple idea's as to what are some of the better nano skimmers out there, not worried about cost but rather ease of use and quality. I was looking at teh Warner Marine H-1 and the Deltec...any recommendations would be great! [/B]

well thank you. I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means.. but I do read a ton about skimmers... and I've owned 4 different models. Out of the 4 (aqua c remora, bak pak, turboflotor multi, and current fission nano) I like the Bak Pak the best, by far. I actually bought the cheaper version online (feel a bit bad about that..) If you gave me $150 or so to spend on a skimmer.. I'd personally try out the Tunze Nano. I've heard nothing but excellent reviews from everywhere I've read.. many different sites... I think it will fit in your cube (I'm not sure though) and I like that the motor is silent. It does sit 'in tank' though.. (it's not that big, but it's not a hang on back) I've also heard great things about the Deltec and WM H-1, but I can't make a recommendation on either one because I don't know enough about them.

One overlooked thing about my BakPak is that it's actually quite big. You don't notice it because it sits behind the tank, but I really like that I can add about 1 gallon of water to the overall volume of my nano b/c that's about how much sits in the skimmer.

The best you can do is read, read, read from a variety of sources, and weigh the pros and cons to fit whatever you choose. If you go with any of the 3 recommended (or even the BakPak) you'll be fine either way.

my 13 cents.

kev apsley
12/13/2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks! much appreciated!!! :D

birdman1979
12/13/2008, 07:23 PM
I disagree with not putting a skimmer on a nano. I've got an Octo 110 on my 15g with a fuge and empty a full skimmer cup daily. IMO a good skimmer very important on a nano.

saltyboy84
12/13/2008, 07:53 PM
well thx for all the help, also my tank is now setup i got the 20 and i started to drill it but it cracked and i didnt want to spend another 20 on a tank, anyways a friend of mine that just got his first reef tank had an old 10 gallon that he said i could have so i got it for free and i just set it up yesterday im still using my old T-8 bulbs which im going to throw away and **** on them because they suck, i took all the old sand from my 5.5g and put it in the 10 and got another 5 pounds, added all live rock and corals, also added all water from the 5.5 into the ten, all params are good and i added my damsel today, shrimp and cleanup crew so it took 20 mins for the tank to be setup its one of the fasted setups every, i got a guy at my LFS store to give me some advice on how to do this. he sets up aqaurims salt/fresh for a living ans he gets paid by the hour so he needs to be fast so he told me what to do and i did it we will see how all goes in the next week, and i quess i can post a pic up so you can take a look at what i have so far

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo344/hothew84/mynew10g.jpg

i also need to get more LR, so ill go there in a week or so when they have there sale agian, well thx for all the help on the skimmer im going to see about all of them and see if i can find one for a good price

Cosmo^Kramer
12/13/2008, 09:03 PM
I've read on reef central that this skimmer is awsome

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-bh-300f-dual-br-hang-on-back-protein-br-skimmer-with-filter-br-system-2070.html

Euro reef just came out with these
http://www.euro-reef.com/nano.shtml

Timanator
12/14/2008, 12:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13934026#post13934026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E.intheC
[B]I've heard very good things about the Sapphire skimmers. There's a thread running about them now. They're too new for me, but I'm watching for them.

They are not really new, those thread are for the new recirculating design for the larger nano's.