PDA

View Full Version : Goldrim Tang's... Who has them?

Vapour1ze
12/08/2008, 02:55 AM
Got one the other day for $30 from my LFS seemed to like a beautiful fish and in excellent health. I trust the guy as I have bought from him from over a year,

Anyway heres what I'm wondering,

-Does yours scratch?
-Does yours hide?
-What size tank is yours in?
-Whats the best food that you've fed him
-Compared to other fish in the tank, hows he rate?

Thanks!

MMOORE0324
12/08/2008, 06:06 AM
Don't have one but would love to see some pics

LoyalConvict
12/08/2008, 07:29 AM
Acanthurus nigricans.... powder brown tang...harder to keep in the aquarium as opposed to the acanthurus japonicus more pronounced white on the face.... or i'm a retard and i could be wrong

crvz
12/08/2008, 08:24 AM
I'd be curious for a picture as well, as the two species are often confused with common names. It's a beautiful fish, not reported as terribly hardy, but if you've got a healthy specimen it should do well for you.

calvertbill
12/08/2008, 08:47 AM
Great Fish, great price!

Your questions:
Hiding-Normal...I have 10 Tangs in a 450 and when I turn the lights on in the morning I've never seen a tang. Clown, copperband are out and about but all the Tangs are napping in the rock caves (which is a tight fit as some are 6-7").

Tank size- You may not like it, but everything you've already read is true. Tangs need room. They're very active and and exploration is their full-time job. Close them in and they get stressed. Except on a temporary basis I'd never put one in anything smaller than a 75.

Food- Think Green! My guys get algae sheets, Rod's food, a home-made food our local SMMAS whips up (Yumm), chopped brocolli, with mysis as an occasional treat. If you want to get a little lazy or if you're pressed for time, my guys will KILL for the large pellet (I didn't know they made two sizes until 6 months ago) Formula 2.

Rating- You're talking to a Tang junkie, man, so I'm rather prejudiced. When I was a kid I was only interested in Cichlids because they had the most personality (including occasional streaks of agression). Now I'm totally into Tangs.

They really establish a social structure. especially inter-species. Zebrasomas do better than most folk think as long as no one tries to break out of his slot in the social ladder. Then all Hell breaks loose. Paracanthurus and Acanthurus just plain don't trust each other, period, ever. It's like (since West Side Story is being revived) a Jets vs. Sharks thing. They may attend the same dance but could throw down at any moment.

Scratching????- Usually not a good sign in most fish except my guys will occasionally take a swipe at a rock (almost like they're attacking it with their surgeon's blades). If it's a more frequent thing, check for parasites.

Toddrtrex
12/08/2008, 09:56 AM
I had one (( Acanthurus nigricans )) about 3 years ago. Was a great fish, and ate like a pig. I am sure I got lucky but, found mine very easy to keep.

However, I sold it when I moved because after having it for 2 years I realized that a 4 foot tank (( and even a 6 footer )) just wasn't big enough for it.

Here is a small picture of it in a holding tank waiting to be picked up.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/KoranBrown.jpg

calvertbill
12/08/2008, 10:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13899008#post13899008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I had one (( Acanthurus nigricans )) about 3 years ago. Was a great fish, and ate like a pig. I am sure I got lucky but, found mine very easy to keep.

However, I sold it when I moved because after having it for 2 years I realized that a 4 foot tank (( and even a 6 footer )) just wasn't big enough for it.

Here is a small picture of it in a holding tank waiting to be picked up.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/KoranBrown.jpg
Dude! You didn't tell me! I want him! LOL

But I think there's some confusion here! Your fish is an Acanthurus nigricans as you stated.

A Gold Rimmed is Acanthurus glaucopareius, different fish isn't it?

LobsterOfJustice
12/08/2008, 10:52 AM
Scratching does not sound normal. Basically a indication of slight parasites, probably ich. Nothing to be too worried about, probably the equivalent of a runny nose being indicative of a cold. But just be aware of what it means.

crvz
12/08/2008, 12:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13899086#post13899086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by calvertbill
A Gold Rimmed is Acanthurus glaucopareius, different fish isn't it?

Nope, it appears A. nigricans was formerly known as the A. glaucopareius. That fish is different than the A. japonicus, however. Here's a bit of info.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm

Vapour1ze
12/08/2008, 02:48 PM
Sweet thanks guys, I like him a lot so far, I'll try to get some pics today if he comes out, and yea he takes the occasional swipe at a rock, but his body looks clean, I dont know if its from transport he was at LFS for 2 days before I got him so hes been moving around a lot.... Hopefully he gets over it and I don't have to QT!

calvertbill
12/08/2008, 07:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13900945#post13900945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tehauthority
Hopefully he gets over it and I don't have to QT!

Sorry but that sounds backward. The time to QT is before he spreads anything to his tankmates, not after you discover he's sick!

Oh! Thanks to crvz for the link. It's a great article.

Vapour1ze
12/08/2008, 09:56 PM
yea i know how it goes,,, thing is I have 2 fish in my tank its still early, its not likes hes infecting a whole community, im seeing some SMALL SMALL SMALL white spots but they are clearing up, hes scratching somewhat, but then again he might just be stressed....... I don't know if I should setup my 29g as a QT right now, and put him in there with hypo, and run copper or just stick it out for a little longer and see what happens, I've seen fish with ich and this tang is really gorgeous right now, ill post a pic later tonite....

Vapour1ze
12/09/2008, 12:36 AM
yea i know how it goes,,, thing is I have 2 fish in my tank its still early, its not likes hes infecting a whole community, im seeing some SMALL SMALL SMALL white spots but they are clearing up, hes scratching somewhat, but then again he might just be stressed....... I don't know if I should setup my 29g as a QT right now, and put him in there with hypo, and run copper or just stick it out for a little longer and see what happens, I've seen fish with ich and this tang is really gorgeous right now, ill post a pic later tonite....