PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Fiji coloration

Patterson117
12/08/2008, 10:07 AM
I purchased a yellow fiji leather (approximately 6" x 3") off of somebody that they had it lose its color in their tank. The coral gets full PE on a daily basis, but the color of the yellow is more of a goldenrod. It does have the bright yellow on the some of the stalk and underside edges. Not much bright yellow, but some. Also, it looks like some splitting might be getting ready to occur. The stalk has a noticable seam starting on both sides of the stalk, and there is only about a 3/4" connection between what is starting to look like two seperate heads.

My question is, what causes them to lose their color? Is it regainable, can the color come back? What can I do to help this, etc?

I have a 2 year old 46g bow, with 4 x 96w PC's, and stable water parameters. I don't add any supplements. I use Reef Crystals and change between 4 - 8 gallons of water once a week.

It looks very healthy every day, just not colored up. Thanks in advance.

Mike

sir_dudeguy
12/08/2008, 12:33 PM
losing color is the same for pretty much any coral...inadequate light, bad water, etc...basically boils down to just undesirable conditions. Just give it good flow and lots of bright light (fij yellow leathers need a bit more light than regular leathers) and it will be just fine and gain its color back.

Your lights are the same that i used to have on my 40. When i had it under 4x96 it did just fine...color wasnt that great because pc's suck for color IMO. But it did just fine. I'd probably put it about mid level in your tank. But when i switched it to T5 HO's, it looked awesome. Very nice color difference and growth rate and everything... I'll post before and after pics...

well here's a crappy pic of it under the pc's. Looks like this is the only pic i have of it under pc's...Its all closed up but you can see the color at least...
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/sir_dudeguy/IMG_3431.jpg

and then under the t5's a few months later
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/sir_dudeguy/Recent%2040%20gallon%20pics/IMG_5579.jpg

gh0st
12/09/2008, 10:23 AM
More light can yellow them up.

Also, in my experience, a LITTLE Iodide can also help with growth and color.

Patterson117
12/09/2008, 10:36 AM
I have thought about supplementing, but I didn't know which way to go on that. I also thought about taking a syringe, filling it with tank water and PhytoPlan and spot feeding the extended polyps.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and thanks for the replies and info so far. :D

joesfiddy
12/09/2008, 03:51 PM
i have my yellow figi under 250 12k halide and lots of flow

Patterson117
12/09/2008, 04:29 PM
Could a Kalk overdose have done something to the coloration and, if so, could it be reversed over time?

sir_dudeguy
12/09/2008, 09:24 PM
as to the kalk overdose... ya i would imagine it wouldnt like that, but as always, as long as the coral doesnt actually DIE from it, yes, everything can be reversed (as far as color loss and whatnot)