PDA

View Full Version : phosphate off the chart

Shore
12/08/2008, 04:35 PM
Well guys I can’t seem to get the phosphate level in my tank to drop they remain off the charts. I added a phosban reactor about a week ago and have done 3 water changes. My r/o unit is working fine and I have checked my water after mixing salt (using reef crystals). I am noticing brown algae starting to grow and I want to avoid the red slime. This is a new tank I started about a month ago it was fresh water and I did about 75% water change before I added salt. I added livestock from my 36G about 2 weeks later.
All my other Parameters are fine.

Is there such a thing as to many water changes?

Should I wait for phosban reactor to catch up?

Nereaga
12/08/2008, 05:22 PM
In the beginning you might want to change PO4 media every week due to the fact it is getting wasted pretty quick. Might take a few weeks to get all the phosphate out of your rock/tank...

seapug
12/08/2008, 05:35 PM
If all those water changes didn't put a dent in it then you should probably slow down a bit to not upset the system so much. Just do weekely water changes and give the Phosban a few weeks to do its thing. Replacing the media a couple times during the first month may be a good idea too.

FWIW it took about 8 weeks for my tank to really show results from PhosBan.

Shore
12/08/2008, 09:03 PM
Well i was planing on buying another phosban reactor for carbon should i run them both with phosban or is that to much? its a 125gallon with 40gallon sump

Shore
12/08/2008, 09:08 PM
Because the tank is turning brown and its really bugging me should I cut down the time on the lights?

Nereaga
12/08/2008, 09:21 PM
Patience! Nothing happens FAST in saltwater BUT failure...

Like seapug said, its gonna take time to see results from the phosban/po4 media.

Keep plugging away! There will be light on the other side!

Brad

Shore
12/08/2008, 09:28 PM
Hehe ya its so hard to be patient when the wife is looking at the tank and saying "all that money and its growing brown crap" :D guess ill just wait it out... thanks guys

buccard
12/08/2008, 09:50 PM
I have the same issue...for the money I have spent she thinks the tank should be show quality already...and then I spend more money.

She's got her own things too...only difference is I keep quiet!

Toddrtrex
12/08/2008, 10:59 PM
For the heck of it ---

Could try taking one of your rocks out of the tank and putting it into a bucket of saltwater -- with a powerhead -- after 12 hours ( or so ) test the phosphates. That might give you an idea of where they are coming from.

chucksta1
12/09/2008, 12:04 AM
That you are using an RO unit is fine, but I have had phosphate get past it. Test your RO water for phosphates.. You may need to get a DI unit to make sure that you're not adding any phosphates in your make up water..

SoundsFishy2me2
12/09/2008, 01:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13903607#post13903607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nereaga
Patience! Nothing happens FAST in saltwater BUT failure...

Brad

Well said Brad.

I've found best results with a German product named Rowaphos run from the Phosban reactor (same sort of thing, just better/pulls more out and lasts longer then phosban-- Oh and it 3x's the cost!)

redfishsc
12/09/2008, 02:23 AM
You asked about cutting back the photoperiod.

Answer:

YES.

I don't know what corals you have in your tank, but you might consider cutting it to 5 hours a day (really). You can do this easily for a week or more, some folks do total blackouts for 3-5 days at a time if they decide to "go nuclear" on the algae.

You might consider doing this until you get the phosphates under control.

Are you running a fuge with any sort of macro in it? In your situation I'd highly recommend you "open a can" on this phosphate. Run your fuge lights 24/7 (I prefer chaeto by FAR), a big ball of chaeto or caulerpa can go a long way in helping rid phosphate.

Second, consider the vodka/sugar dosing. So long as you can keep yourself from dipping into the vodka (or sugar for that matter ;) ) it can help drop phosphate.

Lastly, drip kalkwasser in your top-off if you don't already. Kalk can precipitate phosphate out of solution, though not on any massive scale. However, the pH and alk boost that kalk will give your system also helps impede the unwanted algae growth.

boxfishpooalot
12/09/2008, 04:32 AM
I second vodka, my Hanna confirms the end result. .01ppm Po4 with daily dosage. I dose 5 ml 80 proof daily in a 90gallon.

redfishsc
12/09/2008, 05:09 AM
My problem is this:
1) I live on a Baptist seminary campus and am a student. No alcohol permitted (nor would I mess with it anyhow, I watched it kill my father).

2) Sugar is my drug of choice :(........;) so if I dose my tank with sugar, I'll also be dosing my coffee.... my cornflakes....you name it....

I'm just glad my chaeto does the job for me. ;) ;) ;)

Oh, and boxfishpoo---- I have a body build JUST like your avatar. Except.... upside down :(