PDA

View Full Version : Cycling my new tank

knockout
12/08/2008, 04:38 PM
Ok, I am going to begin cycling my new tank next week, here is what I have in mind, let me know where i am going to go wrong :lol:

1. All sand is new and not live! I will collect a cup full from one of you :lol: to seed the sand bed, it will be a very shallow bed just enough to cover the glass.
2. there will be a remote deep sand bed... 8-10" deep
3. I have been running a canister filter on my fuge for over a month now, which I hope is loaded with bacteria to seed the new tank.
4. I hope to be able to use at least 100 gallons of water from my existing tanks
5. I am going with the Shrimp method to spike the ammonia, 3-4 days and should have a nice spike.
6. will add live rock after two weeks

my main question is: will the ammonia spike kill the nitrifying bacteria living in the canister, if it will then I should I not hook up the canister until the ammonia has leveled off, what is a safe level? and then provide a boost with the canister... I am in the right track here?

when can the live rock be added safely without killing anything in it?

Thanks.

Playa-1
12/08/2008, 06:15 PM
There are many ways you could proceed. I don't think you need to worry about the Ammonia issue in regards to bacteria in the canister. I would question the logic behind using a canister filter in this process or at all for that matter.

It sounds like you have an existing 75 and your upgrading to a 215. How much liverock in the existing tank and how much more are you adding? How are you planning to cure the new rock?