PDA

View Full Version : New to FO and need advise

frogiii
12/08/2008, 06:41 PM
I was keeping coral and few fishes before and somehow my direction was turned to FOWLR. I hear I need to use alot of media for FO tank. Can someone tell me what to put in and what to watch out for? Only thing I know is Ich outbreaks

I've Sohal Tang, 1 Yellow tang, 1 black tang, cow fish, false percular, 2 chromis, 1 fox face rabbit fish, 1 warrase.

100g tank bare bottom with 30lbs of LR. 30g sump, ER RS-135 skimmer.

DamnPepShrimp
12/08/2008, 09:40 PM
Definitely watch out for the sohal, he will eventually destroy everything in your tank. They are one mean fish. Also it will outgrouw your tank in no time, if it already hasn't. I don't think you need a lot of media for a FO tank, just make sure you have a really good skimmer since most FO tanks are stocked with more fish that are eating machines.

95Harley
12/08/2008, 09:49 PM
If your tank is already stocked adding media would make a mess and might kill fish. I think it's too late to add media.

If you decide to add, avoid Crushed coral. I used Aragonite and I love it. Buffs, can be siphon vac'd, my burrowing fish like it.

My 2 cents.

LisaD
12/09/2008, 05:30 AM
To add another $0.02.

Not only will some fish outgrow your tank, you may have some compatibility issues. I'm most concerned about your cowfish. These fish need passive, non-territorial tankmates. In addition, if they become stressed, they can poison the whole tank with defensive toxins.

You need to decide if you want an aggressive tank or a more peaceful tank. I think either the sohal or the cowfish need to go. Actually, you probably have too many tangs for that size tank, so I'd keep just the yellow and black tangs. What kind of wrasse do you have and how big is it? Some can be very aggressive, others not so much.

I'm not trying to go all tang-police on you, but the two main challenges of FO tanks vs reefs are thoughtful stocking to minimize aggression and territoriality, and keeping water quality high due to increased bioload.

You will run into problems on both counts, so you need to reconsider your stock list or upgrade to a bigger tank.

I've Sohal Tang, 1 Yellow tang, 1 black tang, cow fish, false percular, 2 chromis, 1 fox face rabbit fish, 1 warrase.

kirkaz
12/09/2008, 08:31 AM
Sorry, 2 more cents....I'm worried my young Sohal may someday be too much fish for my 240 (8 foot) tank....I knew a guy that owned a restaurant that had a Cowfish, great fish till it got stressed, died, poisened the tank and took 4 other healthy fish with it, only fish to survive were a Huma and Snowflake Eel.

LisaD
12/09/2008, 10:10 AM
I have a boxfish (related to cowfish) in my 55. This one stays small, around 3-4". He is very happy. I'd worry a lot about the whole tank if he were stressed or sick, though.

frogiii
12/09/2008, 12:06 PM
all fishes are doing fine. My Sohal isn't what people think it is otherwise I wouldn't have it in there in first place. all other fishes are just happy, eating like a pig. My questions were, what are supplements that I can dose or use for these fishes not the compatibility. Do FO tank needs medicine in regular basis? like i use calcium reactors in SPS tanks.

DamnPepShrimp
12/09/2008, 03:13 PM
Nope, you don't really need any of that stuff. Just good water parameters. Don't need to worry about Ca, alk, mag, etc or any of the coral params. As long as you have no trates, trites, ammonia, correct ph and good water (RO/DI) you should be fine.

frogiii
12/09/2008, 04:00 PM
K, thank you DamnPepShrip that is what i need to find out.

limitdown
12/10/2008, 07:13 AM
Adding media to an existing tank is fine. I ran my 200g barebottom for 1yr, then last month I dumped in 200 pounds of sand. Everybody is still alive, kicking/swimming and eating.

I only test PH(on electronic monitor) and nitrate. With FO, you can allow nitrate to rise well above 50, but try to keep it below 100. Fish can handle much higher nitrates than coral.

Compatibility and disease are the most difficult things with FO's.

Eggs
12/10/2008, 07:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13912780#post13912780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by limitdown
With FO, you can allow nitrate to rise well above 50, but try to keep it below 100. Fish can handle much higher nitrates than coral.

Compatibility and disease are the most difficult things with FO's.

I agree.
I also kept a Cleaner Wrasse and used a UV Sterilizer with my FO.
I kept my Sohal well fed and it seemed to help with temperment, but you may need to upgrade in the future if you want to keep him.

frogiii
12/10/2008, 12:54 PM
I love my Sohal Tang.... he is really cool fish. he let me touch him and looks at me while im feeding him. Very cool fish and bold. he is fat and big. I dont want to lose him with any diseases. I know I had lost entire fishes to ICH when I kept LPS & SPS with fishes. I was so freaking mad.