PDA

View Full Version : 10 Gallon Setup

calli
12/09/2008, 02:23 PM
I am really looking to setup a 65 gallon later on.. but I was wondering about setting up a 10 Gallon just to get started...

Would I first off beable to get away with about 20 lbs of live rock and just use a bio wheel that is rated for a 90 gallon tank?

Also would any kind of lighting be ok for the tank being that it is only 10 Gallon.. looking to put maybe two clowns a goby and some sort of shrimp and a small clean up crew.

Would I be able to put some mushrooms, polyps and a bubble anemone.

kernyboy
12/09/2008, 02:53 PM
yes..i think youd be fine... 20lbs of live rock is probably a bit much for a 10 gallon. Id shoot for 10 to 15lbs. Its probably easier to start BIGGER first, go for a 30, or 55 if you can.

The water is much easier to keep regulated and water changes are less frequent. The tank stays more stable.

I wouldnt put more than 3 tiny fish in there. If you go with 20lbs of rock, you're losing water. Less water + more fish = not so good.

Salt water weights 8.59lbs a gallon. so in a 10 gallon, you're loosing about 2.5 lbs with rock alone. Add in live sand, and you get the picture.

If you get some powercompacts, you can keep some mushrooms, MAYBE some polyps. I would hold off on the anemone. Your tank should be stable for a few months before you attempt that. they are fickle and water params have to be ideal before you add them.

You can use a biowheel, but i would take out the wheel all together. The live rock alone is enough filtration. Just use the hang on back filter for flow (to move water around). You can throw in a Koralia nano for additional flow and that should be enough for you!

I'd just do two clowns. If you go ALL gobies you can add 3 since gobies are much smaller and require less space. Check out tiger gobies or clown gobies. Kinda cool fish.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/09/2008, 03:03 PM
A healthy adult bubble tip will overwhelm a 10g tank and should not be kept in one.

Stick with one or two small fish in a tank that small.

Check out the nano forum for more advice. And keep in mind that what kernyboy said is very true - it is much easier to start on a larger tank. Something as small as a 10g can get out of hand very quickly, especially stocked the way you suggested.

calli
12/09/2008, 03:13 PM
doing a little more research and I think I may have to forget about the anemone.. and go with soft corals. with polyps and mushrooms..

LOL yeah like I say I would like to start a 65 but I am getting a little excited to get going lol...

I may just wait though..

der_wille_zur_macht
12/09/2008, 03:17 PM
Reefkeeping is a lifelong hobby. Properly maintained, an aquarium can last decades - and several of the species we commonly keep can outlast humans. Keep that in mind when planning and caring for your tank. Nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby.