PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Super Skimmer - Any good?

Stormvillefish
12/10/2008, 07:32 AM
Anybody here use either the Coralife Super Skimmer 125 or 220? What do you think of them? I see they can be used either as an hob or in a sump. Thanks.

Juruense
12/10/2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I have had the 220 for a year now.

I like it alot I have had very few problems with it.

The problems I did have are that I had to make my own bubble diffuser (easy) and the motor broke two weeks ago but they sent me a new one for free and it works great. The new motor is much quieter also.

A lot of people criticize them here but I like mine. Sure there are better ones but they cost much more.

Ranchhand02
12/10/2008, 08:56 AM
I have one as well. I run it as a HOB in my old tank, and now I have it in my sump in the new tank. I like it very well. It is pretty quiet.

mg426
12/10/2008, 09:11 AM
I had a CSS 220 a few years back. IMO it is with out a doubt the most worthless skimmer that I have ever owned. They are vastly overrated, They overflow constantly, are miserable to attempt to adjust, the customer service is a joke, and on top of that when you can get them to skim they produce next to nothing. A css 220 is selling for over 200 bucks these days. If you kick in about 60 more bucks you can get a REAL skimmer.

gws76
12/10/2008, 09:16 AM
The main issue with the css's, micro bubbles and the skimmer surging. I modded my bubble diffuser to solve the micro bubble problem. And the key to keeping the skimmer from surging is to keep it in an area of the sump where the water level, around the skimmer, does not fluctuate. The only other issue I've had with mine is where the air enters the pump. The plastic tube got some kind of calcium/salt buildup and the air production decreased. Just took the air inlet apart and soaked in vinegar, then rinsed it out. Good as new.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/gws1976/old%20tank%20pics/100_1288.jpg

Here's my catch jug, after about 4 days.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/gws1976/old%20tank%20pics/100_1290.jpg

BTW, this is how mine produces day in and day out. I don't know why some people have problems with them.

Juruense
12/10/2008, 09:55 AM
Mine is hang on and my water level varies up to 1/2 inch and I get no surging.

When I read the threads of the SS detractors it is quite obvious that they made one or more of the following mistakes:
-did not read manual
-tried to used stock bubble diffuser
-did not keep it clean enough, esp sponge in bubble diffuser (surging caused by backpressure clean yer sponge!)
-were dropped on their head as a child
-all of the above

Edit: mine has never overflowed either

fishview
12/10/2008, 10:01 AM
My CSS 220 was overflowing left and right. I think the problem was the neck was too small and the pump is under power to wet skim(didn't want to clean it everyday). My water level was constant.

After I put a new pump (Ocean runner 2700 mesh modded), the problem was solved. :D I now get one gallon wet skimmate everyday. That is my only water change .

SquidHC
12/10/2008, 10:19 AM
I had a 220, I would NOT recommend this product. Never worked that great. Hard to keep adjusted, would overflow from time to time. Didn't seem to do much good.

mg426
12/10/2008, 10:24 AM
For the price that a CSS 220 is going for these days anyone who even considers buying one of these POS must have been dropped on their head.

fishview
12/10/2008, 10:33 AM
I would say get something else than CSS. I am thinking to get an Octopus MSX since I don't mind with the mesh mod.

NirvanaFan
12/10/2008, 11:57 AM
I would look for something else besides a CSS. Is buying used an option? You can find some pretty good deals here on the selling/trading forums here on RC. Also, your local club here on RC may have someone looking to get rid of a better skimmer.

Buying used will let you get a better skimmer for around what you would pay for a CSS, and it will do a much better job.

gws76
12/10/2008, 12:24 PM
Stormvillefish,

I guess the visual example is not enough to convince anyone that these skimmers, if setup properly, are a "descent" skimmer. In the end it's up to you. You can probably find a better quality skimmer for the same money either used or new. It just depends on what you are wanting. Personally I would like to get one of the following: Octopus Extreme 250 , or Bubble King, or KZ, or the one I would really like is the Reeflo Orca 250 (I've seen this one in action, in person). But those can be expensive. The only one I can see in my future (based on affordablility) is the Octopus Extreme.

Guygettnby
12/10/2008, 12:40 PM
i had the SS 65 and i loved it. i did have a few little problems here and there but nothing that a quick mod didnt fix and make better. for the cost they are not too bad and they do the job, BUT they are very touchy and can be a pain in the a**... there are better skimmers out there for around the same dolloar amount that i wold look into before i bought the coralife SS 220.

robot2222
12/10/2008, 01:13 PM
euro reef rs 80 220all over the place

texhorns98
12/10/2008, 01:32 PM
What about the Current Fission models? Or ASM?

MF15
12/10/2008, 02:05 PM
I have a 125 yes it skims OK better than my Rogue, but
but it also tends to overflow at times. Also now the pump is shot kicks off the GFI on the tank.
Now thinking about a Octo 800s HOB.
Old Mike

lesleybird
12/10/2008, 03:54 PM
Hi, I have the 220 model with the needle wheel and the venturi and I like it. I read that they have two models with the identical look....one with the needle wheel and one without it.....get the one with the needle wheel as it produces really fine bubbles for better skimming. I do have a sump where the water level changes an inch or more per day in the winter for evaporation so I do look at my skimmer daily and adjust it for the water level if needed. I find this skimmer easy to set up and use, easy to empty. Lesley

DeJaCo
12/10/2008, 04:00 PM
I have both the 220 and 125. Started with seaclones, red sea, prizms, and skilters. Now they are junk! If you set up the corallife's as the instructions say you shouldn't have any problems. I only use as in sump not HOB. I can get constant skimmate production without tweeking. Also it is important to keep the neck cleaned on them. Once much build up occurs the skimmate production will drecease.

mg426
12/10/2008, 04:09 PM
Take a look here.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/p132/MSX200/product_info.html

A CSS 220 is going for 219 bucks. An MSX 200 will out skim 3 or 4 CSS 220s and not have the hassles. Its a no brainer.

sprinj76
12/10/2008, 04:10 PM
I had a CSS 65 for about a year on my tank. It over flowed 4 times, never kept a steady water level, bubble sponge had to be cleaned atleast 2-3 times weekly for it not to come close to overflowing, and it never skimmed all that well.

I moved to a different HOB skimmer and have had a lot of sucess with it and hardly ever need to adjust or clean it.

Try buying a decent skimmer used. The CSS do not hold their value at all either, if you try to sell one you will get next to nothing for it . . . usually there is a reason for these things.

mg426
12/10/2008, 05:17 PM
Try buying a decent skimmer used. The CSS do not hold their value at all either, if you try to sell one you will get next to nothing for it . . . usually there is a reason for these things.

And the reason is they are JUNK!!!!!

texhorns98
12/10/2008, 05:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13914876#post13914876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by texhorns98
What about the Current Fission models? Or ASM?

And what about these? I don't want to start a whole other thread!