PDA

View Full Version : anemone lighting question

somosomo
12/10/2008, 02:24 PM
I just upgraded my 29 gallon reef to a 75 and am considering a pair of skunk clowns and an anemone. I am just starting to do some research on whether this is a possibility based on my lighting.

Currently I have a 260 watt power compact fluorescent 130 watts 10k 130 watts actinic blue. Is this strong enough to keep an anemone under? I know that there are many different species, each with its own requirements regarding lighting. Also how much should i worry about an anemone eating my fish?

I have been keeping my reef for about 4 years. right now it is mostly softies, zoos, and a few LPS. 1 six line wrasse, one lawnmower blenny Approximately 100 lbs live rock, 4 inch DSB, HOB skimmer, and 2 koralia 2s, one koralia 1 for flow.

thanks
nate

somosomo
12/10/2008, 08:46 PM
anybody.

I am looking for input so I dont put an anemone in my tank if I would be unable to raise it.

Toddrtrex
12/10/2008, 09:25 PM
The only one that I would even consider would be a BTA, but even then I think you are on the low side.

Back when I had PCs I kept BTAs (( in my 75 )) under 6*65 (( all 50/50 bulbs )) and they did fairly well.

OrionN
12/11/2008, 05:56 AM
Are you sure that this is 260W and 130W. Is it 26 W and 13 W. It seem to me 390W is alot of light to pack under a 29 g hood.
If it is indeed 390 Watts, you got plenty of light but I think you mean 39W which is not enough light for a host anemone IMO.

Racing1
12/11/2008, 06:25 AM
A BTA would be the only one I would dare to try. I know Some people have luck keeping them under NO lighting.

somosomo
12/11/2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry if i confused anyone. My tank is indeed a 75 with 260 watts. My old tank was a 29.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of a carpet anemone but because of your help I will be holding off on that a year or so until my system is a bit more stable and bump up my lights to MH.

somosomo
12/11/2008, 10:51 AM
One last question is there any kind of lights to gallon ratio that is considered optimal? I know that rule is not necessarily an end all be all for keeping coral ..but is there a minimum i should shoot to exceed...

nate

Toddrtrex
12/11/2008, 10:53 AM
It really depends on the type of anemone you plan on keeping, you mentioned a carpet, but which type?

Personally, over my 75 I have 2*250 MH ( with 2*54 T5 Actinic ) for my Haddoni carpet. Similar lights over my 58 for my other Haddonis.

OrionN
12/11/2008, 12:59 PM
With that much light, you should be able to keep any anemone, with respect to light. New tank is another thing. At least wait a few months before add anemone.
The only anemone I would worry about eating fish would be the Haddoni Carpet, maybe LTA(I have heard of LTA eating Ocellaris and Percula). Other host anemone are usually not a fish eater. If you keep Haddoni carpet in a community tank, I estimate that 95% chance you will loose fish to this anemone over 1-2 year.

Toddrtrex
12/11/2008, 02:09 PM
My experiences with Haddonis has been better.

In the 9+ years of keeping them ( currently have 3 ) I have only lost two fish to them. One being a yellow watchman goby, and the other a Mandarin --- both being "bad" fish to keep with Haddonis. I was able to see the YWG get eaten, but not the Mandarin, just saw its bones being expelled -- for all I know my clowns pulled it into the anemone, I know that they weren't fond of it being near their anemone, and would go after it.

somosomo
12/11/2008, 02:31 PM
I like the way the Haddoni looks...That would be my first choice....

what is a more community friendly anemone? A BTA? I like the way carpet anemones look.

Minh did you mean the 2( 250watts MH) and 2 54watt actinics Toddtrex has is more then enough for a 75?.. I am assuming you didnt mean the 260 watts PC I have on my 75

appreciate the help

nate

OrionN
12/12/2008, 06:25 AM
Somosomo,
You should have plenty light for anemones. Make sure the light does not cause the tank to heat up and increase temp too much when it is on. IME, H. magnifica need point light source because they like lots of light and they can get it by moving to closer to the light. I don't have experience with S. gigantea, but all the other host anemones should have adequate light in your aquarium. Remember that light is only one of the requirement for these difficult animals. Other requirement varies depends on which species you want to keep. I would decide on which species then set up the tank accordingly.

Toddrtrex
12/12/2008, 09:46 AM
Minh -- I wonder if you are confusing my lights and Somosomo's lights.

I have 2*250 MH, where as he has 260 watts of PC, I don't think that is plenty for anemones, maybe a BTA, but that would it -- at least IMO.

OrionN
12/12/2008, 12:43 PM
:D :D :D
I am all confused so I reread the whole thread.
I read too fast and missed everything. Somehow, I was thinking of 360 W of PC over 2.5-2 feet long tank, which should be enough light. Now I see that it really 260W PC over a 4-5 feet tank which is in the very low end of light for reef tank.
Now I think that you don't really have enough light for most clownfish hosting anemone. I agree with Todd.
Sorry for the confusion. It was all my fault. I can't even added 260+130+130=390
:D :D :D

somosomo
12/12/2008, 02:12 PM
I appreciate everybodies help. I just upgraded and was interested in possibilities.

Thanks for all the info. Like i said I will be holding off for a year or so until I get some metal halides

nate

garygb
12/12/2008, 04:25 PM
Somosomo, if you could also successfully keep BTA's or carpets under T-5 HO. Actually, BTA's kept in the top part of your current tank would be okay with the PCs you have.

somosomo
12/12/2008, 08:53 PM
ok then one last question..

Because I am getting a little bit of mixed feedback...is their a PAR rating I should shoot for. I am still going to wait awhile before I add any anemone( to let the tank stabilize and get built up a bit) but if for example I wanted to try and keep a BTA in the top portion of my tank what PAR should i look for.

thanks

garygb
12/12/2008, 10:55 PM
Do you have a PAR meter? I can tell you that 10,000K will result in good growth.

Toddrtrex
12/12/2008, 10:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13931829#post13931829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by somosomo
ok then one last question..

Because I am getting a little bit of mixed feedback...is their a PAR rating I should shoot for. I am still going to wait awhile before I add any anemone( to let the tank stabilize and get built up a bit) but if for example I wanted to try and keep a BTA in the top portion of my tank what PAR should i look for.

thanks

This is going to be for your 75 correct? If you go with 2*250, I wouldn't worry too much about the PAR, even a 20K bulb (( which tend to have lower PAR )), will be more then enough for any anemone. You can go for which ever bulb gives you the look that you like.

somosomo
12/13/2008, 01:58 PM
garygb- i dont have a par meter but i can get ahold of one...

Todd- yeah I am planning on this for the 75. the 29 is taken down and empty in the basement.
Thanks for the advice-i will keep it in mind when i start looking for an upgraded lighting
set up -sometime next year

thanks
nate

somosomo
12/13/2008, 01:59 PM
ok one last one.really...
how concrete are the lists og what clowns host what in what anemones in the anemone faq.

I would like to get a BTA to start with ( as I have said now down the road) . Could I expect Pink Skunk Clowns to host in it even though they apparently done in the wild???

thanks again
nate

Toddrtrex
12/13/2008, 02:03 PM
It might take a little longer, but I would expect a pink skunk to be hosted by an BTA. A Haddoni isn't a natural host for them in the wild, but that didn't stop my pair. :)

somosomo
12/14/2008, 07:22 PM
thanks for all the input.

when i get to the point I add an anemone I will let everyone how it goes..

nate