PDA

View Full Version : somebody buy this fish!

LisaD
12/10/2008, 01:59 PM
Before I decided I must have a blueface, this was my holy grail angelfish, after the emperor. I can't get this fish, but someone should!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=52614

danorth
12/10/2008, 02:46 PM
Those are pretty rare I thought....

LisaD
12/10/2008, 02:49 PM
they aren't available often, and when they are, they are often not healthy... hurry up, someone buy it. it won't be good if I do!

LisaD
12/10/2008, 02:55 PM
OK, since no one would save me from myself, it looks like I'll NOT be taking down one of my tanks as promised, as it will be housing my new blue spotted angelfish. :)

myerst2
12/10/2008, 02:58 PM
Hey Lisa if you want to buy the angel and give it great home then you could send it to me for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!! T

LisaD
12/10/2008, 03:03 PM
Tim, you had your chance! Fair and square! :) Mine!!

Since it's 3.5", I can put it in the 44 for now. There's just a waspfish in there now. I'll have to figure out where to put it permanently later...

I was looking for one of these for the longest time. I just told my husband, last night, that I was completely done, after the blueface and Cuban hog arrived. Guess I'll have to clarify, "I meant *done* with the 210, sweetheart, wasn't I clear?" (show big puppy eyes, bat eyelashes). I don't do play the femme card often, but sometimes I have no choice.

AquaKnight
12/10/2008, 03:16 PM
Congrats Lisa! I was definitely thinking about this one. I'm surprised this one was on there for as long is it was. The last one on there, last Thursday, IIRC?, sold within a couple minutes.

I've been looking for a Blue Line for over a year now. I either miss them for sale, or they're at places that sell them for $350+. I just can't justify that money for a risky fish. The $200, Bluelines are at some retailers, fine.

But a Blue Spotted is about 95% of BlueLine (morphologically anyways LOL!). I think DD may have another in the pipeline, so I'll just have to jump on that one. :)

LisaD
12/10/2008, 03:22 PM
I hope you find one soon. I hope I can give mine the home it deserves. $80, IMO, for a healthy blue spotted angel is a great deal. I don't think they really resemble blue lines, to me they look like a bedazzled grey poma (anyone that has young daughters will know what I mean) :).

gray poma
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/993_poma.jpg

blue spotted angel
http://www.themarinecenter.com/media/photos/FB8788C8AE9A46EB9BB217373D6B3DBE.jpg

danorth
12/10/2008, 03:34 PM
Lisa, good for you! You're just as addicted as the rest of us! It is a rare fish, glad you got one.

AquaKnight
12/10/2008, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13916046#post13916046 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
I hope you find one soon. I hope I can give mine the home it deserves. $80, IMO, for a healthy blue spotted angel is a great deal. I don't think they really resemble blue lines, to me they look like a bedazzled grey poma (anyone that has young daughters will know what I mean) :).
I mean more like size/behavior/characteristics. They are pretty much the same fish, save for the big color differences. Actually, all of the Chaetodontoplus are very close, from Personifer's, to Conspics, to Bluelines. Just the Scribbled and Singapore are a bit different physically. Compared to like Pomacanthus which ranges from a Majestic to a massive French Angel, or even Centropyge, from a tiny like Cherub, to a big Bicolor

Though, yep you're right, $80 is a fantastic buy for a healthy BSA. Tomorrow is payday, so had he still have been on there....;)

LisaD
12/10/2008, 04:10 PM
When you put it that way, yes, I agree, the Chaetodontoplus are all similar, and they are very beautiful angels. Nice size, too. There is a lot of argument about taxonomy - they possibly inter-hybridize to a high extent.

I always thought the gray poma was not really that far in looks from a conspic... at least not enough difference to justify a magnitude of difference in price!

Do you think a blue spotted angel would be okay in a 55? My planted/hardy corals tank would be a great environment. I don't think they exceed 6". If I can move my wolf eel, I'd have it with a marine betta, 2 seahorses and a small boxfish. I could probably relocate the seahorses to a different tank as well.

http://64.95.130.5/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=11116

elecbzerk
12/10/2008, 05:25 PM
congrats Lisa!

myerst2
12/10/2008, 06:00 PM
Now there is even a smaller one for sale. Wish you waited? T

jnc914
12/10/2008, 07:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13916326#post13916326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
When you put it that way, yes, I agree, the Chaetodontoplus are all similar, and they are very beautiful angels. Nice size, too. There is a lot of argument about taxonomy - they possibly inter-hybridize to a high extent.

I always thought the gray poma was not really that far in looks from a conspic... at least not enough difference to justify a magnitude of difference in price!

Do you think a blue spotted angel would be okay in a 55? My planted/hardy corals tank would be a great environment. I don't think they exceed 6". If I can move my wolf eel, I'd have it with a marine betta, 2 seahorses and a small boxfish. I could probably relocate the seahorses to a different tank as well.

http://64.95.130.5/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=11116

First off, congrats on your new Blue spot. I currently have three Chaetodontoplus: Singapore, Male Meridithi, and a Male Scribbled Angel...which are not really that similar in appearance at all. I will be adding a Blueline in 2 weeks, fingers crossed.

I have to respectfully disagree with your comparison of a Grey Poma to a Conspic as being similar enough not to be able to justify the astronomical price of the latter. I have seen Conspics in person and there really is no comparison in regards to beauty and rarity, the Conspic blows the other Chaetodontoplus members out of the water.

:D

E.intheC
12/10/2008, 07:37 PM
Nice fish! Congrats! :) eh hehm.. can you please post pics of the fish later on?

LisaD
12/11/2008, 02:18 AM
Jason, you're right, conspics really are different from pomas, guess it's sour grapes that I won't ever be able to afford one. :)

I notice the new BSP is not on Diver's Den - who bought it?

Also notice a Cuban hog for $20 less than I paid for mine, and a blueface (smaller) for $40 less...

now that I finally (after almost six years on RC) have figured out how to upload and post, yes, I'll do it. being able to post pictures hasn't helped my photography skills, though. :)

rachenbrazil
12/11/2008, 04:18 AM
Nice fish ... please post photos and details on fish behavior... may looks like gray poma , but it seems to be much more sensible... tried 2 times , both died with mouth infection in QT... now getting one new after 2 month QT... should be fine this time :)

LargeAngels
12/11/2008, 07:26 AM
Lisa, Ray had a pair of BS for you for a while. Glad you now will have one. All the books are wrong on the adult size on these guys. Books say 5.5" but I can tell you that my big one is past 6.75."

I have a blueline, pair of bluespots, poma and an undescribed species that resembles C. vanderloosi but comes from the Phillipines. Gerald Allen is hoping to go to the Phillipines and describe it soon. One of my favorite species. There is also some controversy as to all the different color variants, or possible hybrids. All of mine have very similar body shapes and behavior, with the exception of my poma. That one is a little aggressive.

One interesting thing I observed about the bluespots is that if you take pictures from just the right angle you can see that the blue dots actually form lines down the body.

flameangel88
12/11/2008, 08:22 AM
Lisa--as an angel and butterfly lover I thought long and hard when I ordered the Tinkerii on 11/30 and came very close to getting it.

LargeAngel--I've yet to see one that resemble your BS in pictures or in person. Is it the lighting or the adults are different than the juv/sub-adult?

LargeAngels
12/11/2008, 09:20 AM
flameangel88: I think it is mostly because it is a large adult (probably a male) and partly the flash. But it does have those colors.

DamnPepShrimp
12/11/2008, 09:31 AM
LA, I love the bluespot you have. I have to agree with FA88, I've never seen one like yours, love that green face.

Lisa, congrats on the new fish. Keep us updated on everyone!

LisaD
12/11/2008, 01:15 PM
Lisa, Ray had a pair of BS for you for a while. Glad you now will have one. All the books are wrong on the adult size on these guys. Books say 5.5" but I can tell you that my big one is past 6.75."

LA, I don't recall why I never got that pair. I really wanted them, maybe I had trouble reaching Ray, or maybe had a problem with my tanks... whatever happened, wish I had gotten them.

I won't keep this on in a small tank long term. I hope it will be okay in the 210, if not, I'll work something out before it gets some size on it.

rachenbrazil
12/12/2008, 05:49 AM
Hey LisaD ... please post new BS angel pictures ... !

LisaD
12/12/2008, 06:05 AM
should be coming today!

Brandon M
12/12/2008, 08:57 AM
Can't wait to see pics!

seahorsedreams
12/12/2008, 09:09 AM
LOL Lisa!!! You suck as bad as we do. We have a $300 dollar gift certificate to spend in Diver's Den... so keep a look out for me as well!

A nice wasp fish maybe.......

LisaD
12/12/2008, 10:45 AM
yeah, I'm really bad. otherwise, I hate shopping. :) I'll bet you two enablers gave it to each other. ;)

waspfish are common and not expensive. the one you want to watch for is the brick red morph, or some of the other colorful ones. most are on the drab side. keep watching DD, sometimes they get some really rare oddball fish in, often for reasonable prices.

these aren't on DD, yet...

you should try to find yourself a stingfish, rare but really cool.
http://www.diverosa.com/categories/Lionfish&Scorpionfish/IL3-217%20Painted%20stingfish,%20Minous%20pictus.jpg

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/2nd/349017.gif

or maybe an Inimicus to keep your Rhinopias company if you have the room?
http://wetpixel.com/images/uploads/inimicus_didactylus_os304.jpg

Did you notice DD has an ambon scorpion? They are pretty cool, though that picture is not the most attractive. Here is a different image:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2138099442_bd36c63920.jpg?v=0

walking batfish?
http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/2008/08/gal34.jpg

LisaD
12/12/2008, 10:57 AM
the box just came, camera battery is dead. :( pics this weekend, hopefully.

Grouperhead
12/12/2008, 11:05 AM
How exciting! There's so much stuff I want on DD...maybe I'll have an all DD tank someday...a guy can dream, can't he?

kirkaz
12/12/2008, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13916046#post13916046 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
[B]I hope you find one soon. I hope I can give mine the home it deserves. $80, IMO, for a healthy blue spotted angel is a great deal. I don't think they really resemble blue lines, to me they look like a bedazzled grey poma (anyone that has young daughters will know what I mean) :).

Congrats Lisa, I'm a big fan of these....I hope it has the personality of the Black Velvet Angel too, mine was my alltime favorite Angel I have had personality wise....Medium sized Angel with Big Angel attitude.

LisaD
12/12/2008, 12:51 PM
It's not as filled out as I'd like. It came in with the greenish head like LargeAngel's avatar, and a bright yellow tail. But very few/faint blue spots! Maybe they will develop with maturity. It's a little on the drab side, and I'd like to see it fatten up, but it has all kinds of attitude, is very active and curious, and seems like it's going to be a great addition. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it settles in during the next couple weeks.

I have to work really late tonight, so I'll check back in later, try to post pics too.