PDA

View Full Version : Any reason I shouldn't do more frequent water changes?

CoRPS
12/10/2008, 05:38 PM
As the title says, I usually perform between a 10 and 15 gallon water change weekly on my 55g. However, I just got an RO unit and I'm thinking about doing between 2 and 3 water changes per week of between 3 and 5 gallons per change. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Playa-1
12/10/2008, 05:46 PM
You would probably be better off doing more frequent smaller water changes as opposed to fewer large water changes. In your case either way works just fine.

CoRPS
12/10/2008, 05:49 PM
I don't have a TDS meter so I'm nervous about using the water that comes out of my RO filter. Then again, I should be equally worried that the LFS I get my water from said they didn't have a TDS meter to test my RO water, :lmao:

I guess I'll use it, I'm having an algae outbreak anyway so it couldn't hurt I suppose.

Playa-1
12/10/2008, 06:24 PM
Well It could hurt. If your RO/DI filter is not working properly then it could be passing Chlorine or Chloramine thru and that could put your tank out of business.

TDS meters are not very expensive. You should also get a kit to test for Chlorine/Chloramine.