PDA

View Full Version : Need skimmer help

thebradybunch
12/10/2008, 10:26 PM
I have a 2 week old Octopus NW200 on the new tank. This is basically the same skimmer as a ASM G3. I could never adjust it correctly because the riser was so hard to adjust and get to move in small increments. In order to help with this I ordered and installed a gate valve mod from Marine Solutions. The problem is I can not stop the skimmer from overflowing. Even with the gate valve fully open the skimmer is creating tons of foam and overflowing. Am I missing something? Thanks

OnlyCrimson
12/10/2008, 11:33 PM
It is still very new and perhaps it hasn't been fully broken in yet. Other than that have you changed anything in the tank recently that would make a skimmer go nuts?

mojo~
12/10/2008, 11:37 PM
the pipe comming out of the bottom of the skimmer could be too high did you cut it down to size, whats your water level and is the gate valve wide open.

thebradybunch
12/11/2008, 07:32 AM
have you changed anything in the tank recently that would make a skimmer go nuts?

No not really the tank is only a couple weeks old and it has done this since I have had it.

did you cut it down to size

The skimmer is sitting in 8-9 inches of water. How tall should the pipe be?

picassoman
12/13/2008, 12:13 AM
Have you used any reef epoxy? That makes my skimmer go crazy. Sounds like some type of restriction on the output, unless you got the wrong pump with the skimmer. I haven't used octo's before so take with a grain of salt. Make sure the drain is wide open, and if it is still overflowing, you might need to cut the air back a bit. I don't think you should need to though

mikeatjac
12/13/2008, 08:22 AM
How tall the pipe should be does not really matter if you are using a gate mod. Look at the additional height that the mod added to your pipe and cut that plus one inch for starters. See how it goes from there and cut more off if need be.

thebradybunch
12/13/2008, 10:39 AM
I was able to fix the mod and the skimmer is running great now. From what I found the height of the pipe from the skimmer to the tee does matter and has to be a certain height. I think with the mod added as it is shipped puts too much back prssure on the skimmer evn with the valve wide open. I cut 2" off the riser and it mad a huge difference. Thanks for all the responses.