PDA

View Full Version : It arrived today

Reef Bass
12/10/2008, 10:43 PM
The package containing my new Canon 50D with Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens.

Here is my first effort with the new camera. I intentionally left the lens open at 2.8 to minimize DOF just to see how the bokeh looks.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/KenBull/Undata13.jpg

My initial impression of the camera is "WOW!". Build quality is excellent. Feel is awesome. Feels like a "real" camera. Phenomenal display. And then there's the pictures it takes! I think I'm in love.

Even though I very recently purchased and installed Photoshop Elements 7 and was able to import RAW files from my old camera, I still had to update my pc with the latest Adobe RAW 5.2 goodness (which appears to not have been included in the camera discs though I may have overlooked it but is available for free from the Adobe website) before I could open the .cr2 files my 50D creates. And follow the install directions carefully or it won't work. After the usual running of install packages one needs to replace a specific file in a specific location with a file from the install package. I suggest renaming the existing file to back it up and then copy the new file with the same name to the existing location. This way the previous version can be renamed and made available in case it is required by older applications / devices. Not to suggest Canon or Adobe would ever release anything that wasn't 100% backwards compatible with everything ever.

While positioning the camera for some shots, I giggled with glee every time I had to reposition the tripod because I had initially positioned it too close to the subject and had more than filled the viewfinder. At the moment I don't regret not having gotten the 180mm L series macro lens, at least as far as being able to get a decently close shot of corals. So far. For now. :p

Recty
12/10/2008, 10:51 PM
Great first shot for sure, I hope that 50D is good to you, I'm getting one soon too :)

TitusvileSurfer
12/10/2008, 11:05 PM
I told you so. ;)

TitusvileSurfer
12/11/2008, 12:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13918589#post13918589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Bass

My initial impression of the camera is "WOW!". Build quality is excellent. Feel is awesome. Feels like a "real" camera. Phenomenal display. And then there's the pictures it takes! I think I'm in love.

Let me assure you, that IS a "real" camera in every indirect sense of the word.

Reef Bass
12/11/2008, 07:50 AM
Yeah buddy! I want to take a week off just to play with this baby. Eventually I'll point it somewhere other than at my tank. I'm going to get mighty scratched up when my roses resume blooming in April and May.

I need to start taking control of more aspects of my reef tank photography, for example by "posing" corals - moving and positioning them to facilitate taking better pictures. My corals close up when I move them, so I'll have to start the process an hour or so before I actually want to shoot to give them time to relax and open up again after being positioned. I'm already doing "all pumps off" and "clean the glass inside and out".

And I need to wade through some Photoshop tutorials to make sure I am aware of the abilities available to me. I am realizing how impactful and important post processing of serious digital photos is. And that's a good thing, as it promotes individual expression and allows each photographer to explore their artistic capabilties as they massage the image as they wish.

TitusvileSurfer
12/11/2008, 03:32 PM
Ideally all of your images should be PPed, especially RAW, and IMO all of your images should be RAW.

Reef Bass
12/11/2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I'm feeling the PP thing. Wait, that didn't come out right.

Ah, yes, post processing good. And I'm heading towards "and no shot worth printing or distributing should be without it".

My finally using RAW was motivated from an inability to get color accurate pics under 20,000K lights even with custom white balances. I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't needed RAW til I started doing high color temp macro reef photography.

You obviously see advantages to using RAW for all your shots. What benefits do you get from it under conditions where point and shot cameras would probably capture a decent image?

TitusvileSurfer
12/11/2008, 04:08 PM
Because you often don't even realize how wrong they are until you play with it a little and suddenly remember, "oh yeah, his skin really isn't that tan".