PDA

View Full Version : Which camera a descent price?

yannicksjh
12/11/2008, 08:28 AM
Well, looking at all the awesome pics that everyone has, I decided i wouldn't mind trying some of my own. I do have a camera that we use as our family (everyday camera). Its the Panasonic DMC-TZ5:
http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/camerascamcorders/digitalstill/DMCTZ5.asp

I have no experience with photography and can't seem to take a descent shot with this one. Is it the settings, me or the camera?
What are good starting settings for this or any camera? Is it worth for me to buy another camera just for tank shots?

I'm interested in buying a good used camera just for the tank (possibly off ebay or something). What is a descent camera with a good zoom, picture? Please help either with settings or camera suggestion

Thanks everyone!

TitusvileSurfer
12/11/2008, 03:42 PM
The problem is the camera. It is fully automatic and makes all of the photography decisions itself. Buying another camera for tank shots would be ideal, though if you take enough pictures with the DMC-TZ5 I'm sure the camera will get it right eventually.

I have no idea what your budget it. I would recommend a new Canon G10, or if you really love Panasonic, some members around here are touting the DMC-LX3. To make either of these work for a tank, you will need to learn a little photography 101, and a tripod would really help. It is my personal opinion that the LX3 is an excellent camera, but the G10 would be better for tank shots. Either of these would replace your current camera, doing a better job at everything it already does and allowing you to do things it never could. Of course if you have two people, two cameras isn't necessarily a bad thing.

TitusvileSurfer
12/11/2008, 03:48 PM
You double posted threads on this topic, so I will answer the other (more or less same) question here:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13920088#post13920088 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yannicksjh
It is our family (everyday camera) and want to try using it for tank shots. I know its one of those point and shoot pocket camera's!
Looking to buy a used camera for the tank but want to use this one for now. please help with settings or suggestions on how to use is or take a decsent shot. thanks

You will need to post examples of what you have. Unfortunately I don't know how much advice anyone can give you, as you have no direct control over he settings the camera chooses. It makes all of the decisions itself.

yannicksjh
12/11/2008, 04:57 PM
I does seem to have alot of setting i can set myself if i put in in the manual mode. ISO, white balance, shutter speed plus many others. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Either i will keep this camera as well since i my wife likes a pocket sized camera as well. here is bit more info and additionnal setting my camera features:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/01/panasonic_lumix_tz5_is_10x_zoom_camera_and_hd_camcorder_rolled_into_one-2.html

Just to give a better idea of what is capable of doing (if you didn't already know).

Thanks again

yannicksjh
12/11/2008, 05:34 PM
Oh sorry, one more thing, i'm not partial to Panasonic camera's, it just happens to be what we bought and seemed and is a good camera for everday use as well as a pocket (taking pics of the kids etc). I'm open to any kind. My budget would be in the $250 range (used). Seems like these days everything looses their value real quick with technologie moving forward very fast (seems like any phone, mp3 player, CAMERA get out dated real quick) so i'm hoping to be able to get something that will be good as close ups for that much (maybe ebay). thanks

TitusvileSurfer
12/11/2008, 07:17 PM
Are you sure you can select the shutter speed and aperture? ISO doesn't matter as much as you should always use 100. I can't imagine wanting to go over 400 on that camera. Cameras don't go obsolete like say...a computer which can no longer support a game you want to play with you buddies. I would think the Canon G1 released in 2000 would be better than what you have.