PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Deal or a Rip-Off?

lzolnier
12/11/2008, 04:14 PM
From the following description, please evaluate this deal I found and reserved, for a complete aquarium system:

90 gallon non-drilled tank (48x18x24 tank) with cpr cs90 overflow.
30 gallon sump tank with Red Sea skimmer, return pump.
Fluval 204 filter (not using).
2 Koralia 3s and two maxijet 900s,
Heater.
Light timers. 4 - 54 watt T-5s on two ballasts with three reflectors. Medium oak canopy and stand.
200 lbs of liverock all with decent growth lots of life.
1 sailfin tang, 1 hippo tang, 1 maroon clown, 1 diamond goby, 2 pj cardinals, 1 firefish, bicolour angel, 1 large coral banded shrimp, several blue legged hermits, several snails various varieties.
One 18 head or so torch, 1 smaller 8 head or so torch, some ricordias, some xenias, mushrooms, toadstool leather, devils hand (large), colt coral, yellow polyps, green candy canes, large green favia, green zoos.

Price: $1050 CAD (or $850 USD)

Thanks all!

Montezuma
12/11/2008, 04:26 PM
In my honest opinion, thats quite a bit for that equipment. I think you could get better stuff on here for 1k... just my 2 cents.

lzolnier
12/11/2008, 04:31 PM
Hmm, I was under the impression that the liverock itself would be worth that price alone (there is 200 lbs of rock in this tank). :rollface:

Fish_wiz2
12/11/2008, 04:37 PM
if you are patient than you can do better. i've seen a 210 go around here once complete (i mean with some smokin' stuff) for $700 but i was too late (4th in line :mad: )

fender4string
12/11/2008, 04:42 PM
If it's all in good condition I'd say go for it. True you could find a better deal (my brother found a 90 gallon with 20 gallon sump, stand, 2x250w halides, 1 65w actinic, 150 pounds of LR, a homemade skimmer, 2 mag 18's, a few maxi-jets, a koralia 4, hang on fuge, extra 20 gallon, and assorted other goodies for $400) but that's still not bad.

Tswifty
12/11/2008, 04:42 PM
Usefull equipment I see:

90g tank (get it drilled)
30g Sump (get baffles cut & installed)
Stand & Canopy
What type of return pump?

220lbs of Live Rock - - - That may make the deal worthwhile in itself... although that is certainly WAY more than is necessary for a 90g tank.

What type of ballasts with the T5's? (you'll probably need new bulbs)

Livestock:

- Sailfin Tang (will get to big for a 90)
- Hippo Tang (will get to big for a 90)
- Maroon Clown (aggressive as heck)
- Diamond Goby
- Cardinals
- Firefish
- Coral Banded Shrimp (do yourself a favor, and don't add it)
- Crabs & Snails (crabs kill snails)
- Lots of softies

IMO I would replace:
- Powerheads
- Skimmer
- Possibly return pump
- Heaters
- T5 bulbs

Have you seen the tank in person? If so, how did it look? Was it well maintained? What condition is the tank in? The stand/canopy?

$1,000 is a lot of money... especially when you will need to replace a decent amount of stuff.

However, second hand Live Rock usually moves for $2-$3 per lb. So in fact the guy has 220lbs of "Live Rock" then that's probably around $600 in value right there, and you could always sell what you don't need. If it's base rock, then that only goes for about $1 per pound.

Anyway... just some random food for thought... I would label it as an "ok" deal IMO, and would be on the fence personally about it. Taking a look at it in person should tip you one way or the other though.

Good luck. :)

lzolnier
12/11/2008, 04:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13922987#post13922987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fish_wiz2
if you are patient than you can do better. i've seen a 210 go around here once complete (i mean with some smokin' stuff) for $700 but i was too late (4th in line :mad: )

Waiting has its price too. I figured it was a reasonably good deal since I would likely have to pay twice that much in retail for all the items, no?

Please note, I'm in Canada where there isn't too much competition and the leading fish store sells at exorbitant prices. Liverock is like $10/lb. and a 90 gallon tank with stand is $500.

stanlalee
12/11/2008, 04:47 PM
the price is fair but I'd pass. when buying used aquarium gear I dont want fair, I expect a steal.

lzolnier
12/11/2008, 04:49 PM
Wonderful input. I plan to look at it tomorrow. I think the sump has at least one baffle. Is the light underpowered and if so, is it just a matter of changing bulbs? Here are some pics of it:

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/pp-classifieds/showfull.php?product=15630&bigimage=Imported_Photos_00344.JPG

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/pp-classifieds/showfull.php?product=15630&bigimage=Imported_Photos_00340.JPG

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/pp-classifieds/showfull.php?product=15630&bigimage=Imported_Photos_00341.JPG

lzolnier
12/11/2008, 05:00 PM
Oh one thing worth mentioning is that this is in Canadian dollars, which today works itself out to be $850 USD.

lzolnier
12/11/2008, 05:47 PM
Bump, more votes and input please.

stricknine
12/11/2008, 06:19 PM
I'd jump on it. Have a chat with your LFS, bring in the fish and corals, even a bit of rock for store credit. You may be able to get a couple hun credit for what you need. Rock is expensive, corals/fish is expensive, stands can be pricey.

If its all in good condition Haggle a bit and buy it. I would.

Fish_wiz2
12/11/2008, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13923010#post13923010 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lzolnier
Waiting has its price too. I figured it was a reasonably good deal since I would likely have to pay twice that much in retail for all the items, no?

Please note, I'm in Canada where there isn't too much competition and the leading fish store sells at exorbitant prices. Liverock is like $10/lb. and a 90 gallon tank with stand is $500.

I see where your getting at but $1000 CN even for used is still alot especially in this economy. see if you can negotiate to try to know off 100 or more then i would say it is a pretty sweet steal

Ahhh, that something to mention here but remember all LFS are like this, they need to make a living. believe it or not but one of my LFS charges $20/lbs for figi! not to mention tonga :eek1: :p and people still buy it (though very slow)

Keep us posted

stricknine
12/11/2008, 06:59 PM
Depending on where he's from, the economy is still goin strong here!

It is hard up here for us Canadians to start reef aquariums in our igloos, shipping and customs fees from american civilization to our little ghost towns, no salt water stores to be found, etc.

Kidding aside, it is a bit harder. Im in a capital city with near a milion population, and four tiny LFS, and I dont even know how two of them pay their power bill with the lack of everything in that store. It is expensive, and thats new and used. I always keep an eye out for a deal and they are slim to none.

Buy the tank, part out a bunch of it, make it your own, and enjoy. I bet I have near 2K in my 24 gallon nano already! The thousand bucks you are spending is well spent (up here in the north)

Fish_wiz2
12/11/2008, 07:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13923855#post13923855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stricknine
Depending on where he's from, the economy is still goin strong here!

It is hard up here for us Canadians to start reef aquariums in our igloos, shipping and customs fees from american civilization to our little ghost towns, no salt water stores to be found, etc.

Kidding aside, it is a bit harder. Im in a capital city with near a milion population, and four tiny LFS, and I dont even know how two of them pay their power bill with the lack of everything in that store. It is expensive, and thats new and used. I always keep an eye out for a deal and they are slim to none.

Buy the tank, part out a bunch of it, make it your own, and enjoy. I bet I have near 2K in my 24 gallon nano already! The thousand bucks you are spending is well spent (up here in the north)

Since ya put it that way :) go for it. ya never know the gold that might come out of it. also is there a craigslist on canada?

stricknine
12/11/2008, 07:16 PM
Nope, no craigslist. We have kijiji, buysell.com, and ebay.CA. On an average look at those sites, there is nothing local worth looking at other than an old FW tank for a qt or fuge. If there is saltwater, a lot of people think they are going to get what was put into it. "5000.00 invested in the past 5 years for your price 4500.00" Brutal.

...Hence the kudos post I did for riverwonders live rock.

lzolnier
12/11/2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah, the online adverts in Canada are brutal for aquariums. Everyone seems to think that a used system should be worth more than a brand new one because its already started, put together and mature. There are maybe a handful of Canadian LFS that sell online equipment for a little less than retail (but no tanks). If you get any equipment from the States, you will be charged with a hefty brokerage fee almost every time. Because delivery systems in Canada are primitive you can forget about buying any kind of lifestock online (not even rock or corals).

P.S. There is actually a craiglist in Canada (including one for Alberta and Toronto) but not much there in terms of choice for aquariums.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

Everyones Hero
12/11/2008, 07:55 PM
$850US to setup a 90gal isn't bad at all. I've probably got twice that invested in my 55gal with half new/half used equip.

Again, 220lbs of live rock is worth more than what you're paying anyway, assuming none of it is base rock.

Fish_wiz2
12/11/2008, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13924178#post13924178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lzolnier
Yeah, the online adverts in Canada are brutal for aquariums. Everyone seems to think that a used system should be worth more than a brand new one because its already started, put together and mature. There are maybe a handful of Canadian LFS that sell online equipment for a little less than retail (but no tanks). If you get any equipment from the States, you will be charged with a hefty brokerage fee almost every time. Because delivery systems in Canada are primitive you can forget about buying any kind of lifestock online (not even rock or corals).

P.S. There is actually a craiglist in Canada (including one for Alberta and Toronto) but not much there in terms of choice for aquariums.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

Wow and i actually liked one of the new LFS near toronto on my visit. looks like this tank is turning out not bad

Ritten
12/11/2008, 08:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13923041#post13923041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stanlalee
the price is fair but I'd pass. when buying used aquarium gear I dont want fair, I expect a steal.

I agree!

lzolnier
12/12/2008, 01:52 PM
:bounce2: :bounce1: :bounce3:

plateboy3293
12/12/2008, 04:09 PM
Its way to much of a hassle to move all of that livestock and pay 850 for it. Maybe you could sell all of the livestock to the lfs then it might be worth buying excludes the lr and ls.

weaver5
12/12/2008, 04:17 PM
I would think it is a good deal. I would save as much of the water that is in the tank now and transfer it back to the tank and it will pretty much not need to recycle.

Tswifty
12/19/2008, 01:58 AM
I'm curious to see how this turned out, and if the OP ended up making the purchase?

Patrick12
12/19/2008, 02:06 AM
For $850 US that is a very good deal. Granted, it is not the way I would arrange the tank and the equipment is middle of the road at best.....low end at worst....but at that price and that much LR, it ends up being a good deal. I personally would drill the tank so as to have an overflow, check the age of the bulbs, and make sure you have a decent skimmer....Red Sea is a nice name, but it all ends there. Manybe you can sell some of the LR to pay for upgrades. I seriously doubt that there is 220 pounds though. In a 90 gallon it would be all rock with that much LR in there.....but if there truly is that much, you made out.

Give us some pics too. They say a thousand words.

Vin7250
12/19/2008, 08:32 AM
i have almost the same setup. 90gal non-reefready 30 gal sump. 850 us is a really good price. Like these other guys said try to negotiate. Go with 600$ in one pocket a hundred in another and a 150 in your back pocket. If you pull out 600 in cash I doubt the seller will be able to resist. If he does pull out the 100$. If all else fails and you still want it pull out the remaining 150 and give him what he wants. But to be honest if you waive 600$ in his face and he wants to get rid of the set up (obviously he does or he wouldnt be selling it) he will take it.

jamzdean1
12/26/2008, 05:44 PM
I would NEVER buy another non-drilled tank again. If your going to spend the money, do the base items right the first time. You can always replace the small items, but your tank is your foundation. I would spend the money on a new drilled, non-scratched tank and stand, then buy the other stuff used.