PDA

View Full Version : potter's angel dead for no reason

foshizzle
12/11/2008, 11:04 PM
I bought a potter's angel ~ 1 month ago. She did great in QT, eating flake, mysis and nori within 48 hours, active, bold, no signs of disease. This morning shes dead???

She was housed with 2 clowns and a yellow tang that are all doing fine.
Any explanation for this? Seems collection methods can be ruled out since these are Hawaiian fish?

scuzy
12/11/2008, 11:35 PM
was she shaking her head? i heard flukes very common these days. Silent death.

swegyptian
12/12/2008, 01:38 AM
What did you do in the QT tank? Hypo? Any medications?

sabodish
12/12/2008, 07:15 AM
unfortunately, this is pretty common with these fish. i had one for 1.5 years, ate everything, perfect fish. one day, i wake up and its dead on the bottom..no idea what happened. i havent heard of many reefers being able to keep them past the 2 year mark, if at all.

foshizzle
12/17/2008, 11:14 AM
I treated with Prazipro so I doubt flukes were the problem. I've dealt with them before...

zemuron114
12/17/2008, 06:38 PM
how hot is your tank? higher than 80, they are guaranteed to die and not live long term...

I know people in Hawaii that have kept them for 10+ years. The waikiki aquarium has had the one for 18 years now... almost all blue too!

Toddrtrex
12/17/2008, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13965062#post13965062 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zemuron114
how hot is your tank? higher than 80, they are guaranteed to die and not live long term...

I know people in Hawaii that have kept them for 10+ years. The waikiki aquarium has had the one for 18 years now... almost all blue too!

How long are you defining long term? I have had one for about 11 months now in my 58, the temps are b/t 78 and 83, with the summer months being closer to 83 most of the time.

zemuron114
12/18/2008, 01:56 AM
11 months is impressive at those temps (78-79 is fine.. 83 is to high IMO) How long does it stay at the 80+ mark?

Toddrtrex
12/18/2008, 02:57 AM
During the summer months I would say that it is above 80 most of the day, and most of the night too.

Didn't notice any change in its behavior during that time -- compared to now when the tank doesn't get as warm.

zemuron114
12/18/2008, 03:11 AM
keep an eye on him. Think about a low grade chiller to help stabilize the temp. Swings are just as bad (for any fish). do you have a pic. I love potters :) (more than flames!)

Toddrtrex
12/18/2008, 09:59 AM
Personally, I like to have temp swings -- gives me more leeway if something goes wrong.

Pics? Plenty. ;)

This is a different one from another tank (( same temps ))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Potterpair17.jpg

This WAS two of them, the larger one really never was eating as much as I would have liked, and didn't make it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Potterpair15.jpg

Here is the one that I have had for 11 months now,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Potterangel.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/potter6.jpg

Kind of a weird picture but I like it (( the eye is fine, it was just looking at something off to the side ))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/goofypotter.jpg

Kieth71
12/18/2008, 12:12 PM
I dont want to derail this thread but i had a question..i have a potters in qt and is doing well..i have another on order prob gonna be here in a few weeks..i was wondering how hard it will be to pair these?I dont want to hurt either fish and will cancel order if this is a bad idea.I could also change it to a multicolor if this may work out better.

lgndrympterry
12/18/2008, 12:24 PM
though you like the temp swings can u only image the stress you put your reef and its inhabitants through? how well has your tank been doin gas far as growth. If ur temps ar right you should be able to see a real difference in the corals growth from one month to the next.

lgndrympterry
12/18/2008, 12:25 PM
Man go for the pair if it works than great if not i'll take the other one off your hands... I believe you could make it work just have to ensure youve got a pair and not two swinging for the same team.

Toddrtrex
12/18/2008, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13969897#post13969897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rockymtreefer
I dont want to derail this thread but i had a question..i have a potters in qt and is doing well..i have another on order prob gonna be here in a few weeks..i was wondering how hard it will be to pair these?I dont want to hurt either fish and will cancel order if this is a bad idea.I could also change it to a multicolor if this may work out better.

When I had my pair, they came that way, so I can't speak about how are they are to pair in a tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13969979#post13969979 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lgndrympterry
though you like the temp swings can u only image the stress you put your reef and its inhabitants through? how well has your tank been doin gas far as growth. If ur temps ar right you should be able to see a real difference in the corals growth from one month to the next.

Without derailing this thread too much. They are been a lot of posts on this subject, and "greenbean" has made some good posts about it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1525963

atlantisaquari
12/18/2008, 09:18 PM
i have found that potters does best in tanks with lots of live rock and surface area to hide. meaning in a tank with just a little rock, its like they know they are captive. but with enough hding spots and natural suroundings they are tricked into thinking they aare at home so to speak. dont know if this info helps anybody, its just that everytime i have put a potters in a holding tank ( 30 ish gallon with just a couple pieces of live rock ) it gets sick within a week and dies. so i began to throw them in a full on reef tank when this would begin to happen and sure enough the would shake the disease and behave normally.

be aware that the potters or any other dwarf angel can easily develop a taste for pretty much any kind of coral ( they like to taste)

wookie
12/19/2008, 12:19 AM
rockymtreefer, i did the same.
one was already established and then orderd one more. they are both doing great.
i did not have any issues, but this might be an exception. they are docile from what i have observed and i agree with atlantisaquari they need rock to graze.