PDA

View Full Version : Upper River Rocks / Fish?

ssublime1
12/12/2008, 01:56 AM
Has anyone gotten fish or live rock from the place on 23 by Gate 5 Kadena? They had some decent looking rock in there last week but I don't want to introduce any crypto or whatnot into my system.

Oki Aquaculture was out of rock last weekend and closed today or I would probably use their stuff. I have one rock, a clown and some grape caulerpa from them which are all doing great.

Also does anyone have extra chaeto clogging up their refugium they're wanting to get rid of? :)

tylersdad
12/12/2008, 03:03 AM
I do, call me tomorrow and I can give you some. 090-2850-6025. Wes.

ssublime1
12/12/2008, 03:19 AM
Excellent and thank you, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

2t2_crash
12/12/2008, 04:12 AM
I haven't bought anything from them yet but I swing by quite a bit. I need a light for my fuge and also some chaeto.

what sort of filter and water care equipment are you running?

ssublime1
12/12/2008, 05:23 AM
Well I picked up a few rocks from them tonight. They're pretty clean with no extra crap hanging onto them, decent coverage with coralline. I didn't see any crypto on their fish so I'm hoping I'm good to go.

For my filter and lighting, right now it's basic and still in the cycling stage. I'm using a 10 gal tank for the fuge, some grape caulerpa and a clip on flouro twist bulb for lighting. On the tank I have a little 13W 50/50 bulb until my 150 HQI gets here sometime next week. I made a little filter box to route my sump feed into which slows down the flow and filters through some ceramic media. I'm waiting to buy either a Tunze nano or a Sapphire Aquatics skimmer, depends on which one I see at a better deal.

I have a clown and a blenny which are both doing fine as of now. No algae blooms in the past 2 1/2 weeks I've had it up and running, keeping my fingers crossed nothing nasty pops up. There might be a little something in a few days since this rock had a bit of detritus in it, but not too much. Hoping the fuge will clean it up before the diatoms get a chance to go crazy. Ton o pods in that little thing as well.

ssublime1
12/24/2008, 08:25 PM
Well I'm not very happy with the rock from this place. I picked up 3 nice looking pieces for a good price, relatively clean looking with some coralline, yadda yadda. I noticed there was a bit of detritus falling out when they were removed from the tank. I tried shaking it of as much as I could but there was still enough in there to cause a nice hair algae film all over two of them and starting to grow on the sides of the tank too. Small amounts of red film also, mainly in the sump. Not cool.

Really thinking about taking them out and using the OAC rocks for the rest of the tank. The first rock I got from them is still mostly clean with a few feather dusters hanging out. I have 2 small colonies of zoas and 2 small clams as well, we'll see how the clams fare since they're really small yet, but cool blues and purples! The zoas seem to be doing ok. One green colony and one awesome orange one.

The grape caulerpa in the fuge is going crazy along with a good amount of pods and misc little shrimp like things in there. Dripping caulk and dosing small amounts of vit C as suggested in the zoa section of the forum. So far so good apart from the annoying algae. Waiting on a real overflow box to get here so I can get rid of the ghetto fabulous 100 yen store rig. RO/DI filter and refractometer supposedly both still on the way after a month. :rolleye1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ssublime1/20-12-08_1430.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ssublime1/20-12-08_1428.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ssublime1/25-12-08_1136.jpg

tylersdad
12/24/2008, 10:55 PM
where did you order your RO/DI filter from? I just ordered one as well and I cant wait for it to get here! How many GPD did you get ?

magrath
12/24/2008, 11:12 PM
Sublime it looks like you have a good start, the tank looks great.

ssublime1
12/25/2008, 05:14 AM
tylersdad - I got it second hand from a guy in the classifieds here. Here's a link to it. Being as my system is a total of 30 gal max it will be more than enough for now and leave a little room to grow in the future.
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1COMPACTTIII/Compact_III_75GPD_with_DI_Bypass_Assembly_and_TDS_Meter.html

magrath- Thanks for the compliments. This is the first SW tank I've made a point to do the right way, although using the cheapest methods. I've put together several here using ocean water and rocks from snorkeling, etc. All of them ended in frustration with algae or something else that made it not fun to deal with. You can kind of make out the hair algae on the big rock in the last pic. Been ****ing me the hell off since I got back from Hiroshima last week, haha.

Using OAC for most of my stuff from now on. The owner down there cracks me up every time I see him, really great people to deal with.

magrath
12/26/2008, 07:40 AM
I have a ton of softies in my tank I can frag if you want some. Just give me a call 090 1947 9875

OAC is by far the best store here, I usually do all my shopping there as well.

tylersdad
12/26/2008, 05:28 PM
magrath-I have some softies too if you wanna trade PM me with your email address and I will send you some pics, and I can give you some too ssublime1. I still have a lot of chaeto too if anyone needs it.

ssublime1
12/27/2008, 02:07 AM
Oh yeah?? That's awesome! I could use some more corals here in a little bit. I'll probably wait another week or two to make sure it's completely cycled and ready to go.

bethnjeremy
12/27/2008, 11:44 PM
you talked about having issues with algae with the introduction of the LR from ACO? Well It is probably leached with a ton of PO4. Have you done test of your tank to see where your imbalance is at? I bet PO4 is high. That or Nitrates are the food for hair algae and red slime did you say? Well just test your water and you will know the culprit.

ssublime1
12/28/2008, 03:05 AM
No, the OAC rock has been perfect since I got it. The rock that has the algae is from Da Vivid Upper River on 23. It's starting to die off now though, probably a temporary spike because of the gunk in the rocks.

Lionel
12/28/2008, 04:49 PM
most of the manmade rock you buy here on the island is made at ACO.