PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

kymsflower
12/12/2008, 11:11 AM
I got an anemone in my tank and yesterday he was looking great. Full, moving well, he at last night....well the power went out for 6 hours and this morning I wake up to this. He discharged some brown stuff too. Tested the water and all is well, everyone else was doing good, however now my Fox Face is going back and forth in the back of the tank? What is the deal? Should I remove him?
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/kymsflower/New%20fish%20tank/PC113355.jpgYesterday....http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/kymsflower/New%20fish%20tank/PC123391.jpgToday......

Toddrtrex
12/12/2008, 11:35 AM
It is normal in the sense that they will do that when they are stressed and/or acclimating to a new tank (( can also happen when they are expelling waste )).

So, for right now I wouldn't be too concerned, but keep an eye on it.

However, I would be more concerned about how bleached it is. In that first picture you can see some brown in some of the tentacles -- that is how the whole thing should looked.

Did you purchase it that way?

kymsflower
12/12/2008, 11:57 AM
Yes, I did.....ya know I think you got it, he pooped, shriveled up when he did this and is now starting to "come back to life" i will continue to watch him though... This is why I hate staying home....I stare into this tank for hours and every little thing I see I think there is something wrong....I need to relax and enjoy ;)

Toddrtrex
12/12/2008, 11:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13928376#post13928376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kymsflower
Yes, I did.....ya know I think you got it, he pooped, shriveled up when he did this and is now starting to "come back to life" i will continue to watch him though... This is why I hate staying home....I stare into this tank for hours and every little thing I see I think there is something wrong....I need to relax and enjoy ;)

Glad that it is starting to look better. And hopefully with enough care and the right amount of light it will color up.

Oh, after 15+ years I still think I see stuff wrong when I look too long at the tank, so it doesn't get any better. ;)

kymsflower
12/12/2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks again TODDRTREX.... Do these type of anemones accept a clown fish?

Toddrtrex
12/12/2008, 12:01 PM
Sure thing.

They aren't a natural host for clowns. But, some (( myself included )) have had clowns hosted by them. However, others have also had their clowns eaten by them.

kymsflower
12/12/2008, 12:15 PM
Toddrtrex, which one do you recommend? I am new to the reef type aquarium, really only delt with fish only.

Toddrtrex
12/12/2008, 12:17 PM
What type of lighting do you have?

But, for a first anemone, I would suggest trying a BTA. While they are still a bit difficult, they are one of the easiest hosting anemones to keep. Plus, should be able to find a cloned one from a fellow reefer.

kymsflower
12/12/2008, 12:35 PM
A Reef Odyssea 48" Quad Compact (fluorescent fixtures) with
65 Watt bulbs - (2) 12,000K daylight and (2) 03 true actinic, with moon lights, the bulbs are about 8-9 months old.

Toddrtrex
12/12/2008, 12:46 PM
About to have our work Xmas party....

Short answer, for over a 90, that is on the low side, it might work, but I would prefer more lights.