PDA

View Full Version : Can't get True Perc to eat?

ReefKeeperRob
12/12/2008, 01:52 PM
I bought 2 of them 6 days ago and one of them hasn't eat eaten a thing (the slightly bigger one). It was supposed to be tank raised from the University of Maryland and I'm told these are very hardy fish.

The other one eats good.

They both look healthy and swim normally.

The only weird thing is that they pretty much stay right next to my overflow looking at the top of it like they're trying to figure out a way to get out. Long story but one of them actually went through the overflow. I originally had bought 2, neither one of them looked very healthy when I put them in the tank, they went straight to the bottom of the tank and were breathing hard. I bought them straight from the bag the LFS received them in (which I'll never do again). Anyway the next morning after I put the fish in the tank I wake up and only one of them is there. So I'm ****ed and I go to the LFS and they give me another one. Well a couple of days later while I was studying I saw a fish in my overflow, which really surprised me because I checked it several times. It actually looked really healthy so I netted it out and took it back to the LFS since I already had 2 in the tank.

So I don't know if the one that was still in the tank while the one clown went through the overflow keeps looking there for it or what.

It's driving me crazy:mad2:

ReefKeeperRob
12/12/2008, 01:54 PM
In addition - nobody is picking on them at all. My tank is next to my desk so I see what's going on there pretty much all day and never once have I seen anyone even think about bothering them.

Brandon M
12/12/2008, 02:51 PM
Try cyclopeeze, when I couldn't get my clowns to eat I tried this and it helped

MattL
12/12/2008, 03:03 PM
A month is a very short time to be adding fish to a new tank. Have you tested your water? What else do you have in the tank?

Clownfish are extremely hardy, and tank-raised clownfish should take to prepared food no problem.

Clownfish do have an affinity for overflows, so you will need to construct a barrier to prevent them from going down in the future. I have found eggcrate is often enough.

Matt:cool:

ReefKeeperRob
12/12/2008, 05:30 PM
What is Cyclopeeze? I'll try it if the LFS has it. I've tried live Brine, frozen Brine, flake, and pellet.

levels are all zero so no worries about the new tank ;)

MattL
12/12/2008, 10:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13930597#post13930597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefKeeperRob
...levels are all zero so no worries about the new tank ;) It doesn't matter if they are all zero. While necessary, that's ultimately insufficient evidence as to whether your tank was ready.

ReefKeeperRob
12/12/2008, 10:44 PM
Well it doesn't do much good to just say the tank wasn't ready now does it? What specifically are you talking about? Ammonia was zero Nitrites were zero and Nitrates were zero. Is there something mysterious I'm missing? I've been testing at least once if not twice daily and everything is zero except nitrates are now 0-5. All my other fish are eating like pigs except for this one individual.

I suppose the next thing will be all your other fish, how many fish do you have. I have the 2 Perc's 3 chromis and a black sailfin blenny. I'm sorry but I don't think it's necessary to have a tank setup for 6 months before adding an inch long fish.

I'm just a little annoyed because this seems to be the standard answer on the forum and it doesn't make sense in this case and you give no details and simply say it was just too soon. I think you're a little too quick to place the blame on me. :rolleyes:

Slakker
12/12/2008, 11:30 PM
Six fish in a month is too fast. All of your fish should be quarantined for a minimum of four weeks before going into your display tank.

You're not working with freshwater fish here, you can't just dump in a handful of fish in a short period of time and call it a day. These animals are sensitive, prone to disease, and heavily affected by stress from collection and shipping. Proper care must be taken to ensure they're healthy BEFORE they have to compete with other fish for food in your system.

So, while there may be nothing wrong with any of your fish, and the chemistry may or may not be stable, the blame lies squarely on your shoulders. There's a reason the top piece of advice you'll get from any experienced marine aquarist is "take it slow." There's a lot more than basic water tests to take into account.

MattL
12/13/2008, 12:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13932569#post13932569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefKeeperRob
...What specifically are you talking about? Ammonia was zero Nitrites were zero and Nitrates were zero. Is there something mysterious I'm missing?
New tank syndrome is responsible for many mysterious fish deaths early on. What I was getting at is that while home test kits can clearly tell you if there is a problem, they are not very good at telling you that everything is okay.

In short, new tanks simply cannot handle bioloads like established tanks; the microbial community just isn't sufficiently established. Spikes of ammonia and nitrite can come and go before you have a chance to test for them, thereby doing their damage while leaving no outward sign they were ever there.

Moreover, home test kits aren't sensitive to low concentrations that can irritate fish but not outright kill them.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13932569#post13932569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefKeeperRob
...I suppose the next thing will be all your other fish, how many fish do you have. I have the 2 Perc's 3 chromis and a black sailfin blenny.Yes, and the reason we ask is that, in reality, there are very few mysterious fish deaths. The vast majority of the time, a fish death can be traced to one of only a few common causes, many of which are the hobbyist's fault.

Moving too quickly in a new tank is one of them.

How do I know? Because I've made the same mistake in the past, and more than once.
...I'm sorry but I don't think it's necessary to have a tank setup for 6 months before adding an inch long fish.Six months is a long time to wait, but one month is too short. I think you definitely moved too fast and will have new tank problems. My advice is to watch your algae. When your algae plagues end, the tank is becoming established, and you can generally start adding small fish one or two at a time every month. Plus, as others have said, quarantine is important.
...I'm just a little annoyed because this seems to be the standard answer on the forum and it doesn't make sense in this case and you give no details and simply say it was just too soon. I think you're a little too quick to place the blame on me. :rolleyes: As i said above, the vast majority of fish deaths are the hobbyist's fault. And I know, because I have made the same mistakes and killed fish.

My advice from here is to hold at your current fish population until your tank catches up at 6 months time.

And for the record, the symptoms here don't necessarily sound like new tank syndrome, but that can manifest itself in many ways. It could be an injured or sick clown, or one that is beyond your help. Keep trying with frozen or live foods.

In the future, I advise against buying out of the bag as such. It is always wise to observe a fish feeding in the store, not just to make sure you're not buying a doomed fish, but because you can see what they are eating, and you don't have to reinvent the wheel in trying to figure out what the fish is taking.

Just take it slow in the future,

ReefKeeperRob
12/13/2008, 11:12 AM
Yes I'm going to set up the quarantine in the future. I've read enough that I'm a believer in them as well. I was taking things slow and I think the LFS was getting frustrated with me and they talked me into something I knew I shouldn't do. Having said that I don't feel that new tank syndrome is the culprit in this case due to the health of the other fish.

But at any rate what should I do to get this guy eating. Should I set up a QT or would that just it out even more.

MattL
12/13/2008, 11:44 AM
Remember, your q-tank wouldn't be cycled, so the odds are it would probably stress him out more.

I also think you need to find yourself a new LFS. Any reputable LFS would never pressure you into buying anything, and certainly try to strongly disuade you from buying something that has just come in.

While I do hope you go much more slowly in the future, and I do believe adding so many fish so soon could be the culprit, I agree that the odds that the reason is something else. You can't force a fish to eat.

Have you tried live brine?
Do you feed Mysis or have you tried the cyclopeeze?

ReefKeeperRob
12/13/2008, 11:55 PM
I changed out 15 gallons today and did some clean up. This freaked my clown out and he actually ended up hiding in some rocks in the opposite side of the tank treading water for a few hours. He didn't look too good actually. Next thing I know I look over and he's checking out the tank. Possibly me freaking him out to exploring the tank and some fresh water seemed to have perked him up a bit. I put a little bit of frozen brine in but he still won't eat.

Maybe there is something to this theory that there's something in (or not in) the water that I'm not picking up in the tests. Sorry for my irritated reply, it was finals week and I literally hadn't slept in 3 days. How sick is that... Haven't slept for days and I still find a few minutes to come to RC!

ReefKeeperRob
12/13/2008, 11:59 PM
Oh and another thing! haha I was at the LFS again. Well - check out the thread...

Does your LFS operate like this? (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1526701)

ReefKeeperRob
12/17/2008, 02:44 PM
Ok so the clown hasn't eaten in two weeks. Last night it didn't look like it had enough strength to make it through the night. Today it looks slightly better and seemed excited again around feeding time but just doesn't eat.

Any last ideas on how to get this fish to eat? I've tried brine, frozen and live, flake and pellet. He's looking pretty weak and I don't really know what else to do.

MattL
12/17/2008, 03:47 PM
At this point, I don't see much chance for survival at all. I feel you've tried everything you could. Whatever damage was done by you, or before he was in your system, does not appear to be fixable:( I'm very sorry.

REEF-n-Chicago
12/17/2008, 05:17 PM
Go buy a few various frozen foods, de- thaw them first, and drain the water. (phosphates in the water) Try feeding a mix of these. This worked for my true perc when he would not eat. I fed 4 times a day; quite heavy handed...... and did a water change every day.

Good Luck :)

ReefKeeperRob
12/19/2008, 06:14 PM
I bought a 20 gallon tank filter heater etc..., used 50% of my tank water and 50% new water in it, ripped some of my wet/dry filter apart and put it in the filter for the 20 gal tank.

Well I'm very excited today, the true perc ate, they both ate! They only ate a few live brine each but they're not big and that's a lot better than before. The one that wasn't eating before is still a little hesitant but it seems like he's getting the hang of it. There's less flow and no other fish in there which I think is helping.

Just have to keep a close eye on the parameters. I think as long as I can keep the chemistry good this is going to be a success.

I never thought I'd feel so satisfied watching a fish eat :rollface:

MattL
12/19/2008, 08:48 PM
If you're not going to medicate, then you can certainly transfer over some live rock to help keep water parameters in line. I am very happy for you. It's rare that we hear good stories.