PDA

View Full Version : Newb question about research

Matt850
12/12/2008, 05:22 PM
I have read many of the posts in this forum about cameras and was looking for an unbiased site or source for information on the canon and Nikon models. Like it is said in one of the stickies, everyone seems to think the type camera that they have is better than the rest (rightfully so I suppose). That being said I am looking to spend between five and six hundred on one of these two brands so I want to be very educated when I make my choice (that is a lot for me, I know it isn't a ton for a camera). Also, any other general photography introduction sites would be amazingly helpful as I am just learning about this new hobby.

Matt

BlueCorn
12/12/2008, 05:32 PM
I honestly don't think that there is such a thing as an unbiased comparison.

Like I mentioned in the sticky, it's not currently possible to buy a "bad" DSLR. Everything on the market will take excellent pictures. Unless you get in to the higher end bodies, I doubt that you could tell their images apart.

What I recommend that you do is determine what your budget is. Go to the store and handle every camera in that price range. Most places will let you bring in a memory card if you want to compare images. While Canon and Nikon will give you the most choices as you start collecting lenses there isn't a bad camera in that space.

After you do your comparisons, buy the one that feels the most intuitive and fits your hand the best. Really.

IPT
12/12/2008, 05:43 PM
ditto - nothing better than hand on. Also, if you have not look at dpreview. It is good place to get the specs on cameras to look at if they have the featurs that are important to you. They often do comparisons too. This is the Ford vs Chevy argument. I happen to be a "C" guy (Chevy and Canon :)).

I will say that even within Canon I did not get the rebel version (I was going too) once I got it and the model above in my hands. There was ahuge difference (even though image quality was proabably identical). My 2cents.

Matt850
12/12/2008, 06:12 PM
Honestly I think that it was a hope for a place with unbiased views but realistically I knew it wouldn't be likely. Thanks so much for the quick responses and I will be sure to check out dpreview. Maybe one day I will have some pictures as nice as the ones on this site.

IPT
12/12/2008, 06:16 PM
I think they are relatively unbiased there. I'm sure someone will argue that, but maybe not.

Misled
12/12/2008, 07:28 PM
So as a Ford, (Nikon), person, I agree. Pick what feels good to you. All the dslr's out there will take quality pictures. Go out and put them in your hand. If it's not comfortable, you won't use it.

TitusvileSurfer
12/12/2008, 08:15 PM
Join a dedicated (biased) forum for each brand your interested in. You only seem to be looking at Canon and Nikon, so that should be pretty easy. Here is a Canon forum:
photography-on-the.net
Join it as well as a good Nikon forum and just soak up everything for a couple of months. I did this with Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, and Pentax before I finally chose Canon.

Misled
12/12/2008, 08:30 PM
As for Nikon, I belong to nikoncafe.com

Matt850
12/13/2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the tips, the only reason I am staying with these two brands is because I like the idea of having many lens choices to choose from. They also seem to be by far the most popular.

TitusvileSurfer
12/13/2008, 04:01 PM
My main reason for choosing Canon was their superior lens selection (IMO...but I'm pretty sure of it). Look at those two forums and decide for yourself. =)