PDA

View Full Version : How to catch an Octopus?

SnapperSlapper
12/13/2008, 01:26 AM
I guess I should start by saying hello, and I greatly enjoy your forum. I have been using the site for quite some time now, and learned tons of info. I currently have a 24g Nano reef about 3 yrs old, with a some problems.

Because of my busy schedule, the small water volume, and lack of a sump I decided to start a slightly larger tank w/ sump. Hopefully utilizing what I have learned here to rid myself of the damn HA/cyano problem.

Setup I'm working on is a 54g AGA corner tank with 20g sump, 5g fuge w/ DSB macro algae, skimmer, BRS gfo/carbon reactor, and a few other things.

Anyway fast forward to current problem...

New tank is at the end of the cycle after adding about 30# of new rock from TBS basically as a few filler rocks to add with the old rock and start the cycle. I added a dozen blue leg hermit crabs to begin the CUC. Then all but 1 disappeared. Not so strange, as I had problems with a mantis in my last batch of TBS rock. Then a few days ago I turned the lights on early to check my fuge plumbing and there sits an Octopus on the front glass. He inked a little when I spooked him, but retreated slowly into a hole. I hadn't seen him again until tonight, but he is still alive and appears to be doing well, as now all of my hermits are gone, as well as most other moving hitchhikers in the tank.

He is fairly quick, and I have no idea how to remove him, but the coral shop said they will accept him if I can get him there.
Any help ????
Thanks Rob C.

Vapour1ze
12/13/2008, 04:25 AM
I would keep it, :D do you have pics?

snorvich
12/13/2008, 05:36 AM
What did this octopus look like?

vito is hooked
12/13/2008, 06:48 AM
Where are you in FL, I'll come and get him for ya. I'll leave NOW.

lurch
12/13/2008, 07:16 AM
He didn't have blue rings on him did he?:eek1:

SnapperSlapper
12/13/2008, 09:25 AM
I tried like hell to take pics last night, but it didn't work well through the glass at night. It's a maroon color (not a blue ring) and looks like the Dwarf Gulf Octopus. The rock is from the gulf of Mexico. At first I thought it was pretty cool, but goes against every stocking plan I have for the new tank.

So any ideas on removing it from the tank?

I will post my crappy pics after I get some breakfast, but it is very hard to see.

SnapperSlapper
12/13/2008, 10:45 AM
Okay, as I said though the pictures were not working out well, so I added a small description in the corner.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/510/208786Octo.jpg

Untamed12
12/13/2008, 11:06 AM
It is not uncommon to get these octopus in TBS rock. (have you posted in the TBS forum on this site?). They are short lived species (1 year). I think you should happily feed him as many hermit crabs as he'll take and enjoy his company while you have him.

SnapperSlapper
12/13/2008, 11:13 AM
I am aware of the short life span, as well as the secretive lifestyle of the octo. Both reasons that I would prefer not to have him. My fear is that after his short lifespan he would expire in the tank, causing who know what kind of toxins in the tank. Like I said, I have a good home for him once removed, I just don't know how to remove it. I thought there was some kind of trap or something that could be used.

REEF-n-Chicago
12/13/2008, 11:14 AM
times 2..... it is not something you see everyday!

KEEP HIM!

johnny313
12/13/2008, 12:32 PM
who knows how much chemical he will release when you try to cath him anyway! either way... he will release chemicals :(

trmiv
12/13/2008, 01:04 PM
Maybe some food source (snails, hermits) in a container? They can fit through tiny places, so you could make the opening smaller than the shells of the hermits/snails so it can't just reach in and pull them out. Then wait for him to go in for a snack and pull the entire container out. Just a theory, no idea if it will work or not.

SnapperSlapper
12/13/2008, 01:24 PM
The container is pretty much what I am thinking as well. I know that locally they have problems with these octos raiding the stone crab pots bait. I was thinking about using a similar bait like maybe a piece of grouper or amberjack to lure him out quickly. I have a small empty carbon container that may work. I would kind of like to leave him in the tank long enough to get all of the pistol shrimp out though, as I have been listening to then snap for over two years now in the small tank.

LobsterOfJustice
12/13/2008, 07:05 PM
I would spook/chase him into a rock and then just take the whole rock to your LFS.

Jim Morrison
12/13/2008, 07:35 PM
The only way youll get him is to take the whole rock out that it lives in. if you put him in another tank with less rock he will probably get used to you and be visible more