PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto in DT

ferockfish
12/13/2008, 10:28 AM
I am thinking about getting some Chaeto to help with a hair algae problem. I don't have a sump so my options are getting a HOB fuge or putting it in my display tank.

I am interested in experience others have had with putting Chaeto in their display tank and how they do it. I was thinking about tucking it away behind my live rock. Is this a viable option? Any photos would be great.

TIA

MF15
12/13/2008, 10:52 AM
I just started doing this last week. Read this thread.
There is a picture on page 2.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1506957

Old Mike

EllieSuz
12/13/2008, 10:57 AM
Chaeto needs light and flow to grow. I doubt whether a small amount of it in a Display Tank would produce enough to offer nutrient exchange. I'm of the opinion that it takes a pretty good sized piece to be effective. However, if you want to give it a try, it certainly won't hurt. I'd think about putting it in some kind of mesh bag (like the kind onions come in) to keep it self contained and prevent it from getting clogged up in your powerheads. It doesn't stick to anything, but it can snag on rock and get into pumps. Be sure to let us know what you decide.

fishfanashley
12/13/2008, 07:46 PM
putting it n a bag is a great idea, mine gets all over the place

blakeorme
12/13/2008, 07:53 PM
I had a serious hair algae problem in my old 75 and thin out my Chaeto in fuge and put it in the DT. It went crazy. I just stuck it through some Tonga branch LR to keep it put. After the HR went away I left the chaeto in the diplay because I thought it was cool looking.

Its in the back right corner.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/blakeorme/P7051386.jpg

ferockfish
12/14/2008, 07:31 AM
The mesh bag is a good idead to keep the Chaeto away from the powerheads, but I am afraid it won't look natural. I want a natural look like Blakeorme, but then I have to worry about it being hard to maintain. I think I try first without the bag, but add if necessary.

rdelong
12/14/2008, 03:51 PM
I keep it in my overflow box

Aquabucket
12/14/2008, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13934673#post13934673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EllieSuz
Chaeto needs light and flow to grow. I doubt whether a small amount of it in a Display Tank would produce enough to offer nutrient exchange. I'm of the opinion that it takes a pretty good sized piece to be effective. However, if you want to give it a try, it certainly won't hurt. I'd think about putting it in some kind of mesh bag (like the kind onions come in) to keep it self contained and prevent it from getting clogged up in your powerheads. It doesn't stick to anything, but it can snag on rock and get into pumps. Be sure to let us know what you decide.

I have a fair amount of chaeto in my display and rarely do I ever have to pick pieces out of my powerheads. Healthy growing chaeto does not break apart very easily from my experience. What's great about having it in my display is that it gets strong lighting. I need to remove a softball size of it every 2 weeks. It is a main factor for nutrient export in my tank and I would encourage anyone else to give it a try.