PDA

View Full Version : Mixing 2 part

emoore
12/13/2008, 07:23 PM
I bought bulk 2 part from Bulk Reef Supply and I have a question about the amount to use when making a new batch. I am using recipe 1 and on the Bulk Reef Supply website the instructions say to use 2 cups for the calcium part and 2 cups for the alk part for one gallon. But when reading Randy's article he uses 2.5 cups for calcium and 2.25 cups for alk for one gallon. Which amount should I use?

kgross
12/13/2008, 08:47 PM
Good question. I would suggest using the bulk reef supply directions, Hopefully they are geared to the exact chemicals that BRS is providing, only it might not have the same concentration as Randys formula so the reef chemistry calculator will be off some.

Kim

bertoni
12/14/2008, 12:45 AM
Well, I would ask the BRS people. Randy's measurements are for the products mentioned in his article. Perhaps the BRS supplies are different in density.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/14/2008, 08:34 AM
I would follow their instructions. They are using sodium carbonate (already baked baking soda) and anhydrous calcium chloride, so both amounts are lower than my instructions. :)

emoore
12/14/2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I have been using their instructions (but adding a bit more of each into the solution) but wanted to make sure that would be correct.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/14/2008, 08:51 AM
If you scale them up equally, it is fine as long as it all dissolves, but one minor drawback is you cannot use the online calculator for exact dosing amounts unless you make an adjustment. :)

emoore
12/14/2008, 10:51 AM
I scaled it up by 1.5 times. It seems to work better for me since I have to add so much. With it scaled up I am using 125 ml of both parts per day for a 90 gallon tank. I am saving up for a calc reactor because as my corals grow the demands will grow and I don't feel like dosing 300 ml per day.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/14/2008, 11:23 AM
OK, sounds good.

Happy reefing. :)