PDA

View Full Version : Filter Problem

jimash97
12/13/2008, 08:49 PM
I was recently rushed in to setting up a 43g reef tank from scratch with only a couple of days to getting the system up and running. My dad need to tear down his 55g reef and I didn't want to lose the oppertunity of having his live stock so I haven't had time to set up a sump. My problem I am having is I have one of those magnum hang on the tank filter that I have carbon in that I change every 3-5 days. I keep getting these constant burst of micro bubbles every few minutes and it is driving me nuts. I have checked and changed gaskets and everything I can think of but nothing helps. I have never had this problem with freshwater using these filters. So I don't know if it has something to do with the salter water of what. I will be building an acrylic sump as soon as my knee heels a little bit but what can I do in the mean time. Thanks for any thoughts.

jimash97
12/13/2008, 10:20 PM
bump

Mikeeal
12/13/2008, 10:35 PM
I run one of them on my FOWLR for carbon/phosban as well, it does the same thing. Pretty annoying, honestly my only solution is get rid of it and run something else, just haven't done it yet.

MMOORE0324
12/13/2008, 10:50 PM
Not familiar with these but how far down in the tank is the water inlet? If you have power heads in the tank for flow, which I hope that you do, when the flow hits the inlet it will probably create micro bubbles. If you're getting bubbles then you know if you air entering the filter from somewhere. You said you changed all the gaskets so that's about all I can think of. Maybe post some pics.

Mikeeal
12/13/2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah and I really dont like to be negative and say to toss something. It gets old when I hear this, but in my opinion with this particular peice of equipment, I feel it's the easiest solution. Thing was only $50 brand new.