PDA

View Full Version : nano tank selection

RandomTabby
12/14/2008, 12:51 AM
Hi all, this is my first post yay!
I want to start a nano reef about 10-12gal for soft corals and maybe a pair of gobies and some sexy shrimp. Trying to find a tank kit under or around $200 usd... (I will be in California over xmas and could get something and bring it up with me to Canada for only the price of an extra bag)
I have been reading on the internet for over a week and am feeling dizzy with all the different nano tank kits out there and the pros and cons of each, ooh there are so many I don't know which to choose so I'll just start with my questions... Any help is greatly appreciated!

are moonlights required for corals or are they just to stimulate fish/shrimp spawning? Will critters be ok without them?

Do t5s /really/ provide more output than their wattage suggests? I have heard this but I don't want to choose something with t5s but too few watts and regret it later. Approximately how much more light to they produce compared to similar wattage t5s?

Is a "surface skimmer" at all comparable to a protein skimmer? It seems all these nanos come with only "surface skimmers".

The Cadlights 12g - does it come with moon lights? If no, could some be retrofit on? What would be best for this?

How important is a wave maker for the inhabitants I've chosen?

I've heard the systems with closed tops run hot, about 81F. Would you say this is too hot for inhabitants?

I've also heard the Aquapods have issues with leaking and flimsy plastic hinges that threaten to break... has anyone bought one recently and had issues?

phew... that's all for now... thank you thank you for any help!

asmujica
12/16/2008, 11:44 AM
are moonlights required for corals or are they just to stimulate fish/shrimp spawning? Will critters be ok without them? Stimulates fish/shrimp/coral spawning. Ok without them

Do t5s /really/ provide more output than their wattage suggests? I have heard this but I don't want to choose something with t5s but too few watts and regret it later. Approximately how much more light to they produce compared to similar wattage t5s? Yes, specially if they have individual reflectors. You can pretty much keep anything with t5s down the road.

Is a "surface skimmer" at all comparable to a protein skimmer? It seems all these nanos come with only "surface skimmers". Surface skimmers try to remove the gunk from the surface (the oily film that impedes oxygen transfer. Not comparable to a protein skimmer. Some protein skimmers have surface skimmers though.

The Cadlights 12g - does it come with moon lights? If no, could some be retrofit on? What would be best for this? Here you will need to do some research. I think everything can be retrofited, here are some great starter sites for nanos

http://www.nanocustoms.com/
http://www.nanotuners.com/

How important is a wave maker for the inhabitants I've chosen? Not important considering the size.

I've heard the systems with closed tops run hot, about 81F. Would you say this is too hot for inhabitants? Should be fine, but not ideal.

I've also heard the Aquapods have issues with leaking and flimsy plastic hinges that threaten to break... has anyone bought one recently and had issues?

phew... that's all for now... thank you thank you for any help!