PDA

View Full Version : anemone wont plant

RDENNI15
12/14/2008, 12:21 PM
A friend of mine has a 75g set up that has been set up for about a month. He has 12 fish in it already and bought a long tenticle anemony about 2 weeks ago and it wont plant itself in the tank. Any reason why it wouldnt do it.
The tank has 2 powerheads that are moving the water around and has a clown fish hosting it.
He takes his water sample to the LFS and is told his parameters are ok.
For lighting he has pc lighting, daylight and actinic that he runs on timers.
He has about 65 pounds of live rock and aboout a 2 inch sand bed.
I think he is going way to fast but he wont listen to me...

Again this is NOT my tank I dont even have one set up yet, I am still in research stage and not planning to jump in very fast...I am going at it the smart way..

Pllease help if you can. I can try and get more information if needed

weaver5
12/14/2008, 12:37 PM
First off even though he has pc lighting how many watts? I would say it is not planting because it is not happy anyplace yet. You already know that he is moving too fast. A month in and he already has 12 fish wow. I would tell him to slow down on buying any more livestock and invest in his own test kit......
scott

Toddrtrex
12/14/2008, 12:41 PM
Not enough light, sandbed not deep enough to keep an LTA happy.

And then....12 fish in a month old 75 gallon? Somehow I don't believe that his water parameters are "ok" --- which is pretty meaningless without numbers.

With the info given, the only thing I can suggest is to tell him to give the anemone to someone that take care of it.

RDENNI15
12/14/2008, 12:44 PM
He has his own test kit ,its a Instant Ocean master kit but didnt come with an ammonia test. I myself dont like the kit beacause it uses small powder packets for the test reagent. But thats just me...
I believe his lighting system is the Coralife Dual PC retrofit kit with 2 96 watt bulbs, again 1 is actinic and 1 is daylite

NirvanaFan
12/14/2008, 02:54 PM
I doubt the anemone will ever stop moving. Like previously said, the sand bed isn't deep enough, and the lighting isn't sufficient. You say two powerheads, but what kind of powerheads? There could be too much, or too little flow for it.

Also, 12 fish in a 75 seems like a lot. I've got 6 and don't plan on adding anymore.

RDENNI15
12/14/2008, 03:22 PM
Yep 2 Korila 2's, and 5 clown fish, 3 blennies, 2 dwarf angels, 2 gobby's and 1 manderin. I know its to many but you cant tell him anything.

Toddrtrex
12/14/2008, 04:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13941787#post13941787 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RDENNI15
Yep 2 Korila 2's, and 5 clown fish, 3 blennies, 2 dwarf angels, 2 gobby's and 1 manderin. I know its to many but you cant tell him anything.

I encourage you to keep trying to let him know that he is going to have lots of issues, and IMO, lots of fish/invert losses.

tufacody
12/14/2008, 04:22 PM
Your friend is clueless. I don't mean offense, but so many things wrong here, it almost makes me mad. He needs to get knowledgeable and fast.