PDA

View Full Version : Easy to keep gorgonians

hmmbrrgrr
12/14/2008, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know where you can buy actually easy to keep gorgonians online, like in the Muricea genus?

jhildebrand
12/15/2008, 03:53 PM
check this out:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=07d5c4dbf3c3c56316d3d4faf3c8d692

This guy (Ken) is good. All of this stuff is Atlantic and the photosynthetic ones have done very well for me as long as you have good flow and bright light. If they're for your seahorse tank you'll have trouble though, as the horses won't like the required flow. They should wave back and forth to collect food and to keep algae/cyano from growing on them which will kill tissue in a hurry.

captstinky
12/25/2008, 05:34 AM
I have a predatory purple, and blast it with current. Been a couple months and it seems ok. However, I have lost them before due to lack of current/flow. They shed a layer of skin, similar to leather corals, if you have kept any of those, and it helps to blast that skin off with alternating current. I do target feed also, as I hope to see obtain growth and then frag it.

SDguy
12/25/2008, 08:58 AM
I've kept several of the photosynthetic species. IME even though photosynthetic, they require *some* feeding to thrive. The ones that have done best for me with little to no extra food at all except light and flow, were the purple ribbon type, and the true seafan you can get aquacultured from LiveAquaria.