PDA

View Full Version : HOB Refugium Users - Look Inside

FranktheTankTx
12/15/2008, 08:07 AM
Greetings fellow HOB Refugium Users -

I was curious as to how many of you have cyano in your refugium? I have always been a believer that stopping cyano from growing in a refugium is damn near impossible due to many factors such as light spectrum (6700k) & low flow.

My HOB refugium is going on about 11 weeks old. And cyano is growing quite rapidly. All necessary levels check at 0 (nitrates & phosphates) & I do use RO/DI water. The DT is beautiful and clean from any nusciance algae. This is purely a refugium limited issue.

I'm not too worried about it - but was curious how many other HOB refugium users have the same issue?

ashrem
12/15/2008, 10:15 AM
Never had an issue w/ cyano in my hob refugium. I have had cyano in the main and in my sump/refugium but never in the HOB. What is flow through yours? I got a Maxi 900 feeding the HOB i think.

FranktheTankTx
12/15/2008, 10:28 AM
Interesting. I have a Via Aqua 200gph powerhead. The AquaFuge2 was supplied with a ViaAqua 152gp however, I used that for a ATO pump & I upgraded to the 200gph.

I have the small version AquaFuge - 13" long.

Let me add that with the Via Aqua 200gph pump at full blast - I get air bubbles coming out the output of the Refugium into the DT. So it would see that a stronger pump could not be used - but perhaps I am wrong - and a stronger pump would raise the water level above the bulkhead and thus not allow air bubbles thru the bulkhead?

J. Montgomery
12/15/2008, 10:52 AM
I've been using a CPR AquaFuge II for over a year or more. Some cyano and other unwanted things do grow in it (like bryopsis), but its only a little bit.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t133/baronpsjosh/Refugium.jpg

ashrem
12/15/2008, 01:12 PM
I got a 12" HOB from Ebay. Real slow flow, no lights over it except from spill over from my display T5 fixture. A lot of life and I just increased the sand depth so I could get faster flow through it. I wanted to more replicate a remote DSB.

What is your sand depth on the HOB?