PDA

View Full Version : BTA sucked in filter HELP ASAP!

ko0ki3z
12/15/2008, 02:20 PM
i woke up this morning and saw my BTA, which has been in the tank for about 12 days, in my filter tubing. i turned off my filter and pulled him out and saw lots of damage but i couldn't help it because i had to go to school. So i threw him in a cup and left. Came back and saw about 8 tentacles fully opened and unharmed and i saw not much cloudyness in the cup so i threw him back into the fish tank using a breeder tank.

Most the anemone is damaged but its opened.

So my question is should i leave him as is or frag the half that is still good?

HELP!!!!

garygb
12/15/2008, 02:40 PM
Generally they will recover on their own. Too late now, but better to let the anemone undo itself. Whether to frag or not, I couldn't tell you. Pics?

Canarygirl
12/15/2008, 02:44 PM
leave him as he is. Try to syphon out any bits of him that got splattered around the tank, then let the BTA recover in a safe/shaded spot like under a rock without too much flow (but enough), or too much light.

Feed him a slurry of finely minced food such as cyclopeeze or chopped mysis w/selcon, gently released onto the tentacles and avoiding damaged areas. He will need a lot of nutrition to recover.

This happened to one of mine and he did fully recover when giving TLC. If this ever happens again, its best not to pull the BTA out of the filter but allow the anenome to extricate itself (like from a powerhead)

ko0ki3z
12/15/2008, 02:48 PM
thanks for the suggestion

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww56/ko0ki3z/IMG_0163.jpg

Canarygirl
12/15/2008, 02:56 PM
mine looked worse than that and recovered

garygb
12/15/2008, 02:59 PM
Yikes. I would not frag that anemone. I would do as Canarygirl suggested and leave it alone. When it recovers a bit, feed it small pieces of food. I would opt for small pieces of silverside or fresh "human consumption type" shrimp or perhaps mysis (I've found cyclopeeze to be useless with my BTAs).

ko0ki3z
12/15/2008, 03:04 PM
i gave it some shade and put in on top of a plubbing tube i got him in to hide his foot

and all i have is Kent's Micro-Vert Food for my corals that i could feed it or i could still my little sister's "sea monkey" she grew which i believe are mysis or brine shrimp
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww56/ko0ki3z/IMG_0164.jpg

garygb
12/15/2008, 03:12 PM
Well, don't worry about feeding it yet. A piece of liverock would be a better thing for the anemone to attach to. Sea monkeys are brine shrimp, but i would'nt mess with those. Brine shrimp aren't very nutritious. Again, your anemone isn't ready to eat yet anyway. When it is, go get some silversides at a LFS or go to grocery store and get scallops or shrimp in the seafood dept--fresh that is.

ko0ki3z
12/15/2008, 04:31 PM
im kinda impatience but how long will it take for my anem to recover

Canarygirl
12/15/2008, 04:53 PM
impatience and reef-keeping are incompatible. ;)

It's going to take it a while but you should see slow and steady improvement. Within 4-5 weeks it will look way better.