PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top Off Question

Kdocimo90
12/15/2008, 10:46 PM
Instead of hooking up a float valve, could I do this:

Figure out how many gallons of water is evaporated per hr. Then hook up a pump rated equivalent to the amount of water evaporated per hour, to a water storage container (that I would put next to the sump inside the stand).

OR

Figure out amount of water evaporated per day. Then get a pump hooked up to the water storage container, and put that on a timer. Then have the timer turn the pump on for however long it will take to fill the sump with how much water is evaporated per day, which is dependant on the rating of the pump (or I could set it up in intervals).

What do you think?

Toddrtrex
12/15/2008, 11:06 PM
I think there will be a few variables that might cause issues. I know that my rate varies week by week.

If you do go that route, I would err on the side of putting too little in there, can always add extra yourself.

Kdocimo90
12/15/2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah I was actually just thinking about the variety of evaporated water...

I think im just gonna go with the timer idea.
I have a maxi-jet 606 rated at 84gph (when set to low). I dump ~2 gallons of water per day (If not more). So I'll have to set it to turn on for about 2 or 3 mins, but first I have to find a more precise amount of evaporated water per day.

integra
12/15/2008, 11:25 PM
for me, it's too simple to use the floating valve instead of spending time to do the calculation. water vaporation can be depended on too many facts ie. temperatures, salinity density....

good luck,
integra

Playa-1
12/16/2008, 12:09 AM
It's doable but not practical unless your setting up a Kalk dosing program or something to that effect. I actually do something similar with a dosing pump. My tank also has a float valve but the dosing pump on a timer is the primary ATO and the float-valve acts as a back up on my tank.

I Just have my dosing pump dose a guestimated amount of Kalk each night to account for evaporation. The pump kicks in every hour and delivers 16oz of Kalk. I also have a float switch in the tank that will topoff with Kalk if the water level drops during the day for some reason. A controller monitors the PH and water levels during this process and will override the dosing pump if their is a problem.

Overall I would say a dosing pump on a timer could effectively be used for an ATO, but unless you already own the equipment or have a specific reason to do it that way, You would probably be better off with a simple ATO system.

808lazyd
12/16/2008, 12:33 AM
sounds like more work than just the normal ATO

Flipper62
12/16/2008, 12:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13952171#post13952171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
Yeah I was actually just thinking about the variety of evaporated water...

I think im just gonna go with the timer idea.
I have a maxi-jet 606 rated at 84gph (when set to low). I dump ~2 gallons of water per day (If not more). So I'll have to set it to turn on for about 2 or 3 mins, but first I have to find a more precise amount of evaporated water per day.

I have a question for you.....Have you ever Thought about a Power Outage..???

If the power goes out.....SO does the Timer

Michael
12/16/2008, 01:44 AM
yep as flipper its a risky situation, it is possible and on paper makes sence but there are flaws, one of which is already mentioned, also evaporation rates, that was mentioned, and i just think an auto top off is easier, less risky and i wouldnt be happy with the timer sticking on which it could do then you would have gallons of fresh water pumped in to the sump, disaster

Flipper62
12/16/2008, 01:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13952749#post13952749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
yep as flipper its a risky situation, it is possible and on paper makes sence but there are flaws, one of which is already mentioned, also evaporation rates, that was mentioned, and i just think an auto top off is easier, less risky and i wouldnt be happy with the timer sticking on which it could do then you would have gallons of fresh water pumped in to the sump, disaster

YEP...............AAAAaaaaa........STOP The madness........ Power black outs always kill things......LOL....LOL

Thinslis
12/16/2008, 02:02 AM
Tunze osmosliator or how ever that is spelled never did me wrong...

Playa-1
12/16/2008, 04:26 AM
MY BAD !!!

I didn't read your second post before I encouraged you the first time. Actually, I thought you were talking about a dosing pump. I don't think I would attempt what you contemplating with that style of pump. I would not trust that style of pump to consistently deliver a measured amount of liquid in a specific time frame, especially starting and stopping unattended. You could be in for a very rude awakening if you proceed with that style of pump.

Kdocimo90
12/16/2008, 12:27 PM
What do you guys think about the DIY auto top off from BulkReefSupply?

seapug
12/16/2008, 12:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13952555#post13952555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 808lazyd
sounds like more work than just the normal ATO

+1.
I use a the JBJ ATO on my tanks. It's small, easy to set up, very reliable and much cheaper than the dosing pumps/systems.

Gtstricky
12/16/2008, 01:02 PM
Here is all you need: http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html

(plus it is fun to build)

Kdocimo90
12/16/2008, 01:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13955285#post13955285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gtstricky
Here is all you need: http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html

(plus it is fun to build)

Yeah, thats the one i was referring to on bulkreefsupply.com
But, what it is i'd like to know is if I could use the ATO to dose Kalk in replacement of evaporated water?

Kdocimo90
12/16/2008, 01:15 PM
Or what do you guys think of this system?
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~RC1311~tab~0.html

Gtstricky
12/16/2008, 01:42 PM
I use kalk to top off (and a lot of people do). Save your money for fish and get the cheaper one. They work great.

Kdocimo90
12/16/2008, 01:49 PM
Well the thing is that my sump is kind of weird... the water line is pretty deep, so the DIY braket thing wont rach. and I find buying one like such is more reliable than me building one lol

Playa-1
12/16/2008, 01:56 PM
You could use something like the litermeter to dose Kalk and It could also act as your ATO. If you don't want to spend the money on that type of equipment then I think a standard ATO and/or a gravity fed drip system to deliver the Kalk is an inexpensive and reliable way to go.

Michael
12/16/2008, 02:00 PM
i have a sump and auto top off yet dont dose kalk that way, i have a 1 gallon plastic container with a air line siloconed to the lid and have a small plastic clamp on the air line, i sit the kalk container on the sump and allow it to drip slowly, if i want more drips then i just adjust the clamp, its basic easy, cheap and works

Kdocimo90
12/16/2008, 02:20 PM
So you use an ATO for just topping off RO water, and then for dosing kalk you use something like this:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Two-Part-Kits/c52/p576/Aqua-Breed-200-(can-also-be-used-for-two-part)/product_info.html

Michael
12/16/2008, 02:24 PM
not like that, but im sure it would do, its a 1 gallon square container with a screwed lid, i drilled the lid and pushed a airline into it, a little bit of sealant and thats it, the top off machine is for general water evaporation, when i feel i need to dose kalk, i switch off the top off for a day or so whilst the kalk is dripping, when the parameters are whaer i want them to be i turn the top off back on

Kdocimo90
12/16/2008, 03:03 PM
ok cool...thats probably what i'll do.. now to find an ATO... I was planning on getting the DIY but the brackets that you make are only 9" long and i need ones longer than that.. hmm
I had the impression that Kalk reactors/dosers were run all day

nmbeg
12/16/2008, 03:14 PM
i use a JBJ auto top-off that works great....

but i know what you are thinking. I actually once contemplated setting up a timed pump-type system for auto water changes..... like have a pump that pumps out tank water for one minute, and then another pump pumps from a saltwater reservoir back in for the same time/volume... automatic water changes one gallon-per day.

but then i realized that that would be a recipe for disaster, so i abandoned the idea.

what i really need is this... for only $3000, you get auto top-off of fresh water and auto perpetual water changes....

http://www.seavisions.com/prod02.htm

my friend had this hooked up to his tank, and he even gave it to me when he broke his tank down.... but it's just sitting in my basement, haven't hooked it up yet. I am afraid it will spoil me and then one day he will ask for it back ha ha.

seapug
12/16/2008, 05:05 PM
That's cool, but $3000? Good lord. I'll stick with my weekly routine that takes me all of 15 minutes to do.

jmjohnson
12/16/2008, 06:00 PM
Did you ever think about using silicone to attach the float switch inside your sump?

nmbeg
12/17/2008, 03:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13956981#post13956981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
That's cool, but $3000? Good lord. I'll stick with my weekly routine that takes me all of 15 minutes to do. this month's TOTM has one installed.

Whys
12/17/2008, 06:38 AM
I genuinely want an auto-topoff for my system, but with everything aquariums require these days, my electrical-outlets situation is approaching madness. If I'm not mistaken, an auto-topoff will require at least to plugs. One for the controller and one for the pump, no?

nmbeg
12/17/2008, 10:43 AM
correct.

power strip management is part of the art of reefkeeping.