PDA

View Full Version : Should I paint the inside of my stand?

Miasma_F
12/16/2008, 09:24 AM
Simply put, should I paint the inside of the stand for my 90 gallon?

When my tank was previously set up, the sump was all they way against the side and I got a little bit of mold. I moved the sump away from the side wall, cleaned the mold off and didn't have any more issues.

I'm getting ready to set my tank back up and the new sump is much larger and will consume almost the entire area under my stand.

If I do need to paint, what paint should I use?

-Matt

loosecannon
12/16/2008, 09:34 AM
No.

Blazer88
12/16/2008, 09:37 AM
I would paint the inside of the stand if you have the chance. I used some white appliance spray paint from Home Depot and it worked out well. It gave a really nice hard and durable layer of paint, spills wipe right up and won't soak into the wood.

mille239
12/16/2008, 09:39 AM
Killz sealant works great. will seal the wood, and prevent mildew from forming. If possible I recommend it.

sabodish
12/16/2008, 10:52 AM
agreed..i killzed (is that a word?) the inside and outside of my hood and stand prior to the final paint coat..two years now, not a bit of mold.

runningstix
12/16/2008, 10:57 AM
I say Yes, I used exterior grade porch paint.

Miasma_F
12/16/2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll pick up some paint tomorrow. I've heard good things about Killz so I'll go with that. I need to re-paint the wall behind the tank so I'll probably put a layer of Killz down as a primer there also.

-Matt