PDA

View Full Version : Is your sump full of poo to? How to keep it clean?

DOTZ
12/16/2008, 11:22 PM
My sump keeps filling up with ditrius and it's on the groung so I can't vacumm it out. I have a carbon bag (no carbon in it just the netted bag) on the overflow but the sump still gets nasty. How do you keep it really clean like in the pic of everyone elses tanks.

TIA, Bobby

erics3000
12/16/2008, 11:46 PM
You still have to vacum it out now and than. What do you have in your sump? ANy cheato or snails? A little extra flow might help also it will keep the poo in the water colum so your skimmer can pick it up. If you want to still reduce waist in your fuge you can put some filter pads or socks for the water entering your fuge. You will just need to remember to change them out frequently. Sometimes I put one on mine when I clean my rocks in the display. After that I usually pull it off. If I leave town I always remove them.

SeanT
12/17/2008, 12:00 AM
Drain sump, wet vac. :)

trmiv
12/17/2008, 12:16 AM
Get a canister filter with a micron insert and just use it to vacuum your sump.

DOTZ
12/17/2008, 10:06 AM
What do you do if you want to put sand in the sump? I'm wanting to go BB in the display but a DSB in the sump, however, I can't get the sump to stop getting dirty soo fast. Funny thing is there is only two firefish in the tank and it still gets pretty dirty.

DOTZ
12/17/2008, 10:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13960058#post13960058 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by erics3000
You still have to vacum it out now and than. What do you have in your sump? ANy cheato or snails? A little extra flow might help also it will keep the poo in the water colum so your skimmer can pick it up. If you want to still reduce waist in your fuge you can put some filter pads or socks for the water entering your fuge. You will just need to remember to change them out frequently. Sometimes I put one on mine when I clean my rocks in the display. After that I usually pull it off. If I leave town I always remove them.

It's a 10 gal and the only flow right now is the overflow and then the retun no pumps in it. SHould there be?

jmjohnson
12/17/2008, 10:17 AM
Buy a really small powerhead and put a filter sock in front of it and move it around your sump manually.

GSMguy
12/17/2008, 10:58 AM
I have powerheads in the sump the tunze nanostream keeps the sump clean and the skimmer catches all the particles and it keeps the sump PH up.