PDA

View Full Version : First clown for RBTA

sundancer
12/17/2008, 12:39 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum. I've had my RBTA for 14 months now. I just introduced a bonded pair of true percs (3/4")to the tank. They held behind a rock for a few hours but eventually came out and found the nem right before lights out. I checked on them shortly afterwards to see how they are hosting but found them drifting about the tank seemingly asleep. They particularly like to hang out by the overflows allowing their tails to be sucked by the water. I keep thinking that they will get sucked in but they seem to know to avoid that. These are my first clowns.
So a couple of questions in my head right now:

1)Do they like to play near the overflow?
2)Do they wander from their nem at night?

BTW,when the clowns first starting hosting, the nem retracted with a start. This was right before lights out.

Hope they work it out tomorrow.

Thanks.

Ninong
12/17/2008, 01:39 AM
If they are Percula clowns and they accept the RBTA as a surrogate host, you will be lucky. It's not one of their natural hosts and they rarely accept it in captivity.

The following anemones are natural hosts for Percula clownfish: Heteractis crispa; H. magnifica; Stichodactyla gigantea.

Lmecher
12/17/2008, 09:10 AM
Sorry but I disagree. I have an onyx hosting in a rbta and my brother has a perc hosting his rbta. Not their natural host but definately not rare for them to acccept one in captivity. Their natural hoat anemones are very difficult to keep and some will get prohibitively large. As you can see by your pair accepting the bta so readily. Eventually the fish will form a strong attachment to the bta and will spend more/most of their time day/night close to it. It is normal for the anemone to close a bit at first as it gets accustomed to the fish.
My juvinelle onyx rests at the surface near the overflow also. If you think your fish would fit through the slits in the overflow you should put screening over it. Mine got sucked in. Thankfully I must have found it shortly afterwards laying in it's side on my filter pad. The pad was kind of dirty so had enough standing water to keep it alive. Whoosh, that was close. : )

sundancer
12/17/2008, 10:19 PM
Well my clowns made it through the night without getting sucked in. I woke up this moring and there they were wallowing in the RBTA's tentacles. Anemone is expanded as well as usual. Everyone seems happy.
I am a happy camper,too.

Lmecher
12/18/2008, 09:32 AM
Thats great to hear. Would love to see a photo of the rare hosting lol. My black and white ocellaris kicked the prec out of the bta, little stinker. I have to move the b/w into another tank, I will after the holidays. Well you got a very nice holiday gift form your clowns, congrats!

livingcorals
12/18/2008, 02:26 PM
Whats the size of the BTA?

sundancer
12/19/2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks but unfortunately one of the clowns move to the branching frogspawn today. The other is holding tight to the nem.

The rose maxes out at about 12" across. It's about 30" under 4x250 14k halides.