PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Aggression

Stuart60611
12/17/2008, 01:54 PM
Well, I recently (several days ago) added a pinktail trigger and flame hawk to my display (after quarantine). Unfortuantely, due to my prior disease deaths, I realize that these additions were not in the best order in light of my below stock list. The existing picasso trigger initially lunged at the pinktail trigger after introduction but has since completely left the pinktail alone without any signs of aggression. However, the picasso trigger is hearding the flame hawk and engaging in periodic chasing of the hawk. The vigor of the picasso trigger's chasing of the flame hawk has substantially reduced. The trigger now in a very half hearted way kind of goes up to the hawk and nudges his nose at the hawk until the hawk swims to a new location. No biting or aggessive chasing is occuring between the two of them. Interestingly, I know that the picasso trigger and the flame hawk can peacefully co-exist b/c I had a flame hawk in with the trigger b/4 my disease problem. The problem I am now having seems to be caused by adding a replacement flame hawk (after the inital one died) to the display after the trigger was fully established. I have two more fish (listed in my signature) that I will be adding after quarantine of them is done. In a perfect world, I would love to catch the picasso, add the two fish in quarantine to the display, and then house the picasso in quarantine for 1 week or so and then re-add the picasso to the display. However, catching the picasso has turned out be more difficult than I anticipated.

Do you think that in time the picasso trigger's aggression toward the hawk should subside on its own? The trigger is about 3.5 inches. Should I only add the two remaining fish in quarantine after I catch the picasso and put him in quarantine? I was also thinking of getting a mirror to attach to the front of the display to distract the trigger. How effective do you think the mirror trick would be in dealing with my situation?

danorth
12/17/2008, 02:04 PM
I don't have a picasso due to their good/bad temperment. I think a new fish would certainly get chased, especially a stationary fish like a hawk. Triggers don't like fish that don't move it seems. I would pull the trigger if possible.

Stuart60611
12/17/2008, 02:06 PM
Moving him to quarantine would certainly be the best option. However, I have had difficulty catching him without breaking down my rockwork which is something I definitely do not want to do. Plus, at this point, I cannot move the trigger into quarantine b/c my quarantine is full. The hawk is still eating and both the hawk and all other tankmates in the display seem healthy and eating well.

Recty
12/17/2008, 02:56 PM
To be honest, I dont see the problem. If all the picasso is doing is making the flame hawk move from time to time, but isnt biting him, then I wouldnt be worried about it.

If everyone seems healthy, and no one is stressed, then you've got a working tank ;)

kirkaz
12/17/2008, 03:33 PM
I tend to respectfully disagree, a stationary fish like a Hawkfish is just too enticing for a curious Trigger to leave alone, there is a reason people typically don't considere Lionfish and Triggers good tankmates.....Triggers like to bite stuff that isn't moving and could be food.....I would leave the Huma and pull the Hawkfish.....Just my opinion.

Stuart60611
12/17/2008, 03:43 PM
I agree at this point it is not a dire problem. However, I am concerned it could later become one. I certainly do not want the hawk to become extremely stressed, get sick with ich or something else, and then get all my remaining inhabitants sick. I do not think the fact that the hawk remains largely stationary is the problem b/c the prior hawk I had in the display with the trigger acted the same way (largely remaining stationary), but the trigger did not bother the prior hawk at all. I think the trigger is harassing the hawk for no other reason then the hawk is a new addition. I should add and perhaps emphasize that although there is no biting (at least none I have observed), there has been occassional chasing which has died down considerably and only now seems to happen when the hawk wanders into the trigger's rock where the trigger sleeps every night.

Another thought I had was to perhaps pull the hawk from the display, add him to quarantine with the other two fish (may be a crowded b/c quarantine is a 20 long with a 4 inch wrasse and 1 and 1/2 inch clown), and then re-add the hawk to the display along with the two current fish in quarantine once quarantine is over for the other two fish currently in quarantine. This way, perhaps, any aggression from the trigger would be spread between the three then new additions to the display.

Recty
12/17/2008, 04:35 PM
Or try just rearranging your rock work in the main tank.

If I had to choose a fish to get rid of, I'd get rid of the hawk before the picasso as I like triggers much better ;)

Stuart60611
12/17/2008, 04:37 PM
Ya, the hawk would go b/4 the trigger for sure. As far as re-arranging the rock, not an option I would do b/c I absolutely love my current aquascaping.

LisaD
12/17/2008, 10:37 PM
I consider flame hawks more of a reef fish, they stay small and aren't too pugnacious. I think you'd be much better off with a larger hawk that can defend itself, like an arc-eye.

JLF
12/17/2008, 10:42 PM
Not to hijack or anything but I am having a similiar addition with my picasso. I added an emperor angel about a week and a half ago and everything was fine. However out of the blue tonight my picasso started chasing and snapping at my niger. It started right after I fed them tonight and has happened several times since though he is mostly just chasing the niger as soon as the niger comes out of the rocks. Tell me if this is wrong but I was thinking to give it another day and observe them both closely and if it does not get better I will have to move one to my 30g temporarily until I can get back to the lfs. Any suggestions?

LisaD
12/17/2008, 11:23 PM
IME, sometimes adding another fish can start an aggressive dynamic where there wasn't one before. You may just have one more fish than your tank can support, as far as the interactions go.

what fish do you have in the 150, and how big are they?

JLF
12/18/2008, 06:32 AM
I only have 5. A coral beauty, niger trig, picasso trig all around 3in. Then I also have a dogface puffer and the emperor angel which are both around 4-4.5.

LisaD
12/18/2008, 07:26 AM
that's not overstocked, since the fish are all small. have you considered either rearranging the aquascape or adding more cover so they can establish some territories out of direct sight of the other?

sometimes catching the bully and putting it in a bucket, then rearranging before it is put back can help break up the conflict.

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 09:17 AM
JLF, Triggers will be Triggers, my 2 get along great.....for the most part..... About a week ago, I thought WWIII had broken out in my tank when the 2 of them went at it for about half an hour, neither would back down. They settled down and are back to normal again. It was troubling, but I suppose you have to expect it once in while with Triggers.

Hopefully yours are just establishing whom is in charge.

JLF
12/18/2008, 09:37 AM
Lisa, thanks for the idea about the rocks. I have thought about changing the aquascape I just have not been able to picture a better setup then the one I have now. Kirk, I am hoping it was just a flareup for some reason. They have been together for at least a month and have not had any issues until last night. Hopefully when I get home they will be back to normal if not I will have to go from there. Thanks everyone.