PDA

View Full Version : Purple Up vs. B-Ionic

sharky71
12/17/2008, 03:23 PM
How could Purple Up raise both CA and Alkalinity in one bottle when B-Ionic does it with two. Is one better than the other? I have both but I'm not sure if I should just choose one over the other.

miwoodar
12/17/2008, 03:24 PM
Because Purple Up is a well marketed product. B-Ionic is a well designed product. The latter option is much better.

David Grigor
12/17/2008, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13963794#post13963794 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sharky71
How could Purple Up raise both CA and Alkalinity in one bottle when B-Ionic does it with two.

Because it can't. It's all marketing.

It containes 10 micron sized aragonite that is insoluable at our tank PH levels. It give false positives on tests and people think theyre levels are higher than the really are. This is because any aragonite suspended in the water column will get dissolved in the test and read as usable CA when in reality it isn't.

Stick with a 2 part solution, CA reactor, and/or Kalkwasser to maintain your levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/17/2008, 03:55 PM
FWIW, I reviewed such product concepts here:

Calcium Carbonate as a Supplement
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/chem.htm

sharky71
12/17/2008, 05:39 PM
Based on that article, I'd see better results and lesser pH swings by adding the Purple Up to my top off water rather than adding it directly to the tank. Is that correct?

ADA33
12/17/2008, 07:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13964665#post13964665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sharky71
Based on that article, I'd see better results and lesser pH swings by adding the Purple Up to my top off water rather than adding it directly to the tank. Is that correct?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13963890#post13963890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by David Grigor
Because it can't. It's all marketing.

It containes 10 micron sized aragonite that is insoluable at our tank PH levels. It give false positives on tests and people think theyre levels are higher than the really are. This is because any aragonite suspended in the water column will get dissolved in the test and read as usable CA when in reality it isn't.

Stick with a 2 part solution, CA reactor, and/or Kalkwasser to maintain your levels.

I think that the purple up would be better for you tank if it was in the trash. I would use the two-part, calcium reactor or kalk. :D

Billybeau1
12/17/2008, 07:30 PM
sharky, I'm afraid I agree.

The ingredients in PurpleUp, at least what we know of, has little to no long term affect on pH.

It is a waist of money IMO. :)

B-Ionic is a much better addition given proper dosing.

Mike O'Brien
12/17/2008, 08:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13964665#post13964665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sharky71

Actually yes regarding the aragonite because more will dissolve in the fresh water. Not that it's much, but more than you'll get by trying to dissolve aragonite in salt water.

If you wanted to do something like that, I'd think pure aragonite would be the choice, not Purple Up.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/18/2008, 05:29 AM
I agree with Mike's assessment. :)