PDA

View Full Version : Asfur Angel, Possible Problem

DGee
12/17/2008, 07:31 PM
So I've kept many different fish over the years but never any of the larger angels, a local reefer had this Asfur in his reef for a little over a year and was going to be switching up some fish and wanted to find her a new home. This was my Christmas present to myself, I couldn't pass it up.

Shes extremely shy except when its feeding time she spends most of the day darting around from cave to cave in my tank otherwise. When I got home from work today I noticed what looks like it could be some sort of fungus or possibly just a scrape on her side from darting in and out of the rock work. Anyways, I wanted to get some other peoples opinions if this is something I should be worried about or not.

Sorry about the picture, it's really hard to get a shot of her cause shes so fast.

Thanks in advance.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/7053/dsc6615eq5.jpg[/

ccampbell57
12/17/2008, 08:36 PM
DGee - is she in your 24" tank?

I think that the marks you are seeing are scrapes from the aquascape. If it is not affecting her eating habits or swimming habits I would leave it alone and keep a good eye on it.

If it spreads or gets worse, you need to get a QT running and put her in there with some bacterial meds and get her healthy.

DGee
12/17/2008, 09:33 PM
Haha... No, I need to update that since I sold that tank a while ago. She's hanging out in a 33 long (which was my QT tank till the upgrade) for the next two weeks with my maroon clown till they go into my new shallow tank that's 42x42x18 that's also a temporary stay, once the fiance and I sign for the new house she'll get her final home in LARGE Envision tank. But that project is at least 6 months out till completion.

I think it's just a scrape too, I'll just keep an eye on her. Shes by far one of my favorite fish I've owned. I think that's why I'm a little nervous about something happening to her.

I almost thought about throwing a little Melafix in there just in case cause I stumbled across a bottle cleaning out some old tank stuff.

agreeive?fish
12/17/2008, 09:45 PM
Iam not sure i would use melafix with angels.. i tried it once and my scribbled reacted very badly to it..

i dosed 1/2 the recomended dosage and with in 10 minutes she was swimming upside down and gasping for air.. moved her to a diffrent qt tank and with in a couple minutes she was fine..

DGee
12/17/2008, 09:49 PM
Ack! Ok NO Melafix!

rachenbrazil
12/17/2008, 10:46 PM
asfur are hardy ...just shy at start ... need calm tank for setting...
will start to eat flakes fast them becoming more used to you and surroundings...them becoming bold... mine with 2 1/2 inches are fine fish...
As now most small asfur are TR , more easy with this species than earlier 80's when they first show up more regularly (at that time very expensive fish...)

Good luck

agreeive?fish
12/18/2008, 08:28 AM
Oh i forgot to mention my asfur is the tank boss..even dethroned the resident bad boy lunnar wrasse... of course mine was in captivity for at least 4 months before i bought her , she was a little shy the first couple days but quickly became the boldest fish in the tank

scchase
12/18/2008, 08:54 AM
Looks like the typical scrapes and bumps by Asfur gets on a regular basis doing his bossy things around the tank i wouldn't worry about it for now.

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 11:09 AM
Agreed with above peoples....Looks like a scrape, also agree this is a bold Angel, mine certainly is and spends 95% of their time at the front of the tank, if not for my Sohal would be the tank boss.