PDA

View Full Version : Some fish death

jimskoi
12/18/2008, 07:35 AM
I have a quick question on fish dying.
I have had a few fish in my system that seem to die for no reason.ust wondering if I might have some sort of disease that I cannot see.

They seem to eat fine for a week and then they lose their colour.start breathing fast and then.Gone!.
Yet none of my inverts die.Some fish seem to be okay though.
I run a skimmer,UV light lots of flow and tons of oxygen(sump)
Parameters are fine. Nitrate around 25 but my PH is up around 8.5.

Thanks all!

Hattie B
12/18/2008, 03:54 PM
Hi,

Where are you getting the fish and what kind are they?

Are they going directly into a display tank? (just ruling out any sort of ammonia or other problem that can happen in a QT).

Nitrate around 25 will not cause your fish to be fine for a week then die. I suspect your fish had something that took them out in the week you had them but might not have necessary caught something in your tank to sart out with.

Also how long between the fish that passed? Maybe your tank was fine when you added them but it now has a disease that is affecting new additions but the older fish are coping fine; ie the new fish have more stress=more opportunity for illness.

Is your pH always around 8.5? what about the bags the fish come in? Did you test that or slowly acclimate them?

If you got them from the same place then I would suspect some disease from that place.

Check; vibrio, brooke or flukes to start with.

cerianthus
12/18/2008, 04:13 PM
Q/T new arrival is always good and safe . Also If do not see any external symptoms, check for aggressivenes of your fish towards new arrivals. May want to add new fishes in its own clear Plastic container w/ lots of holes for cirrculation in the tank after acclimating from Q/T to Main Tank. Let them see each other for few days and release new arrivals in the middle of the night when others are at sleep. Be gentle not to spook the fishes. The container should be large so fish can swim and turn, very important.