PDA

View Full Version : Sohal Tang?

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 07:41 AM
I have a 388 gallon tank it is L shape its 10 feet long one way 5 feet long the bottom half of the L 2 1/2 long wide and tall.I want to get a sohal tang but been getting mixed opinion on them.So I decided to take a vote. So should I get him what's your vote yes or no?It will be a FOWLR.My fish that will be in the tank are 2 maroon clownfish,midas blenny,orange sleeper goby,kole tang,bicolor angel,orange spotted rabbitfish,male female pair blue throat trigger,blue ring angel,scribble angel,queen angel,blonde naso tang.Now if you vote no what would you replace the sohal with?

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 08:11 AM
As much as I like mine, I do have difficulty recommending this fish to anyone. I am comfortable that mine has established his outright dominance over the rest of my tank and they will all be fine.....Problem is, should I lose a fish down the road I would like to replace it, this will be difficult I'm afraid. Anytime I even try to use my long algae scrapper, he attacks it mercilessly, tough to imagine him 2 years down the road at 9 inches or more allowing me to add a 4 inch anything. I will likely have to add large fish capable of defending themselves immediately.

As I said in your other thread, there are a lot of beautiful, large, semi-rare Acanthurus Tangs to chose from in a similar price range that don't have the nasty reputation of the Sohal, might be better off with one of those....Although, all Acanthurus Tangs can be aggressive, just not quite as bad as Sohal.

Awesome sounding tank btw, love L-shape tanks, can't wait to see pics.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 08:21 AM
The sohal is meaner than the queen? So I your vote is no what would you replace it with. Also I would ran into that same problem with the queen. I ran into that problem when orange sleeper goby died I replace him with another sleeper goby and that would make me mad not being able to replace my fish

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 08:50 AM
My vote is no for the sohal and that tank you have is 607g.

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 08:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13968904#post13968904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
My vote is no for the sohal and that tank you have is 607g.

Yeah, your right...Those dimensions don't add up to 388 that's for sure.

And yes in most circumstances a Sohal will dominate any Angel. Tangs are much faster, and carry a "scalpel" in their tail, combine that with a bad attitude.

jmccown
12/18/2008, 09:00 AM
I vote yes. I have had a sohal for over a year. Does not grow as fast as everyone says and mine is not aggressive at all. Mine is about 7" right now. You have plenty of room as I do. I would say in a smaller tank you would see the aggression. I wouldn't worry about it. They are great fish.

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 09:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13968974#post13968974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmccown
I vote yes. I have had a sohal for over a year. Does not grow as fast as everyone says and mine is not aggressive at all. Mine is about 7" right now. You have plenty of room as I do. I would say in a smaller tank you would see the aggression. I wouldn't worry about it. They are great fish.

How big was yours when you got him? Mine is growing like a weed, he has put on (I would guess) 2 inches in 4 months, he is growing faster than any fish I have.

Have you added any new fish since you got him? If so, how did it go?

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 09:11 AM
I did the measurement and those are the dimension. So if it is 600 what you are saying is that the only tank big enough for a sohal tang is the ocean?

jmccown
12/18/2008, 09:11 AM
He has grown about an inch in a year. Was around 5.5-6" when I got it. However, I have a vlamingii that grew 12 inches in a year (now 14"), and a Palani (Blochii) that has grown at least 9 inches in a year (now 10"). But for some reason the Sohal and my queen angel are really slow growers. My water quality is pristine and feed a wide variety. I guess every fish is different. All of my fish eat extremely well. I have a lunare wrasse that is about 10" long and as thick as three fingers. I really need to post up some new pics.

I have added many fish after the Sohal with no problems. The last tang I added was a Tomini tang about 3 months ago. No problems.

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 09:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13969040#post13969040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmccown
He has grown about an inch in a year. Was around 5.5-6" when I got it. However, I have a vlamingii that grew 12 inches in a year (now 14"), and a Palani (Blochii) that has grown at least 9 inches in a year (now 10"). But for some reason the Sohal and my queen angel are really slow growers. My water quality is pristine and feed a wide variety. I guess every fish is different. All of my fish eat extremely well. I have a lunare wrasse that is about 10" long and as thick as three fingers. I really need to post up some new pics.

I have added many fish after the Sohal with no problems. The last tang I added was a Tomini tang about 3 months ago. No problems.

Thanks...and yes new pictures:D

When I got him from Bluezoo, they said they grow to 8 inches quickly then slow dramatically...Mine was about 3 1/2 when I got him he is pushing 5 1/2 inch now.

jmccown
12/18/2008, 09:27 AM
Don't get me wrong, these things get HUGE.

Here is mine

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/jmccown1/100_3454.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/jmccown1/100_3456.jpg

just kidding, this was at a public aquarium. These fish were around 18-20", there were some bigger than that.

Here is a pic of my tank about a year ago.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/jmccown1/May2008Fishandmisc026.jpg

And a video from March this year
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/jmccown1/th_March08Fishvideo.jpg (http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/jmccown1/?action=view&current=March08Fishvideo.flv)

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13969035#post13969035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild
I did the measurement and those are the dimension. So if it is 600 what you are saying is that the only tank big enough for a sohal tang is the ocean?

If you want a Sohal, by all means get one....As I said I love mine, but he is a little nasty.....All fish are different, but Sohal's didn't get their rep on accident...I said I find it "difficult" to recommend this fish, but I sure do like it.

cool video here of one to see how fast they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUtfMGWS9E0

jmccown
12/18/2008, 09:29 AM
I'll get some new pics of my tank up in the next few days. I now have halide lighting, in the pics and video it was only VHO. Pretty much the same fish, just bigger now. Tank is 8' long.

ron69
12/18/2008, 09:33 AM
My Sohal is king of the tank for sure. But after letting everyone know he was the boss he has been a model citizen.

I would defintely add him last though.

jmccown
12/18/2008, 09:36 AM
Can't beat their coloration for sure. One of the most beautiful fish in the sea.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/jmccown1/img_0100.jpg

Here is a closeup of mine when I first got it.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/jmccown1/December07Fishpics019.jpg

Recty
12/18/2008, 09:40 AM
Very pretty fish, I love mine, and it sounds like you know what you're getting into.

I dont not recommend one, just realize there may be problems down the road. Having a large tank like you do helps a lot with potential aggression problems.

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 10:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13969035#post13969035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild

If those dimensions are right, you definitely have a big enough tank for one! I am not worried about that though. Its your tankmate selection which makes me say no. If you had aggressive triggers, puffers, tangs angels then I'd say go for it. But I am worried about some of your tankmates. I am considering a sohal tang for my tank but I have a very aggressive passer angel, niger trigger, purple tang, huge klunzinger wrasse and a large brazillian dragon moray.

Hongt713
12/18/2008, 10:07 AM
my sohal was about 6inches.. it was soo nasty it killed my passer angel, harrased all my naso which were about 8-9inches each and harassed every new introduction in the tank. so i had to get rid of it

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 10:08 AM
How are you coming up with 600 gallons? I know how to come up with the gallons on a rectangle shape LxWxH divided by 231 but how do you do an L shape? The sohal tang will be the last fish since its going to be a year before I put him in there I have plenty of time to think. I like the valmingi tang also. Now if can I get him instead of the sohal? Or will he get to big for my tankand would him and the naso get along cause if Im not mistaken they are from the same fam

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13969437#post13969437 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild
How are you coming up with 600 gallons? I know how to come up with the gallons on a rectangle shape LxWxH divided by 231 but how do you do an L shape? The sohal tang will be the last fish since its going to be a year before I put him in there I have plenty of time to think. I like the valmingi tang also. Now if can I get him instead of the sohal? Or will he get to big for my tankand would him and the naso get along cause if Im not mistaken they are from the same fam

do the math thinking of it as 2 separate rectangle tanks and add the 2 together.

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 10:18 AM
Exactly, its essentially two rectangles. One 120x30x30 and the other 36x30x30. If you add the two together and your 5' length is added in from the 10' length, then its a tad over 600g. You could do a vlamingi tang, much better choice in that sized tank. I was thinking of a nice powder blue tang, they can be aggressive but not sohal aggressive, just be sure to QT.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 10:28 AM
I did and its not 36x30x30 its 30x30x30 36 inchs is 3 feet.So valmingi tang would be better? He wouldn't get to big or my tank? I sure do like the sohal though.

jmccown
12/18/2008, 10:33 AM
Vlamingii's are awesome fish too. I have two of them. Their growth slows down after they reach 12"

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't mind getting a powder blue tang but heard they very prone to ich

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 10:41 AM
Was your valmingi very expensive ?

jmccown
12/18/2008, 10:59 AM
When they are small they are inexpensive. I recommend getting them small and watching them grow.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 11:09 AM
Now the question is would the vlamingi get along with the blonde naso

jmccown
12/18/2008, 11:32 AM
I'll be honest with you, when my vlamingii was in the 5-6" range it terrorized all new additions. It actually killed a Hawaiian Naso of equal size. When the vlam got bigger it mellowed out and is harmless now. It actually has an 8" blonde naso as a tankmate. If you plan on getting both I recommend adding at the same time.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 12:12 PM
Who was first the naso or the vlamingi? The sohal sure is a beautiful fish. He probably would pick on my blenny and goby

jmccown
12/18/2008, 12:22 PM
vlamingii was one of my first inhabitants when I set my tank up November 2006. Was way before that particular Naso. It has been with the blonde naso for well over a year now.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 12:43 PM
I don't know if I want the vlamingi or sohal

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 01:20 PM
I'd be more worried about your angels, mainly the scribbled, your triggers (bluethroats) the foxface, basically anything that is too big to hide in the smallest of crevices. The sohal will go after them all. Vlamingi's are much more calm, especially if you get a small one and add it more towards the end. If you want the sohal, change up your whole stock list. Otherwise the vlamingi will fit just fine. Powder blue tangs definitely get ich pretty easy, but I think most people try cramming them into to small of a tank. If you QT properly, you'll be fine.

jmccown
12/18/2008, 01:37 PM
I highly advise against any power fish- powder blue, powder brown, powder whatever. They're ich magnets. Great looking fish, but not for everyone.

I have a large Annularis with my sohal and there have never been any quarrels.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 01:48 PM
I asked for a vote and I only got one vote for yes. Man. Are the sohal that mean. I guess I got to go with either the vlamingi or the powder blue and pray the powder blue don't get ich. I probaly will keep the powder blue in the QT extra long. Hey how did the juvenile vlamingi look cause I heard they don't look good when their young and don't come into their full coloration intll they are adults

jmccown
12/18/2008, 01:51 PM
I don't think QT matters with PBT. I kept one 3 months and thought I was home-free. Then all of a sudden it was eat up with ich. Caused me to lose several of my really nice fish. I hate powders. Later I tried powder brown with same result.

Vlamingii's are cute when little. But not near as attractive as when they get around 10" mark. Really dull in color.

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 02:03 PM
Well if you QT a fish then put it into a tank that hasn't had all QT fish or the tank fallow for 2 months, then yeah, your going to get ich. Can't halfass it, its either all or nothing with powder tangs. IMO I don't think vlamingi's look that great when young, but as adults they are gorgeous! There are many other tangs besides the powders, vlamingi and sohal, with your tank, you have many options.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 02:20 PM
So what fish or tang would you recommend? I also thought about the tinker butterfly or maybe 3 anthias just to have a schooling fish. Or would the queen pick on them But I would like to hear some opinions on what fish to replace the sohal with

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 03:17 PM
If your tank is really that big, I'm voting for the Dussumier Tang, and the Vlamingi Tang together....But from what it sounds like, you have many many months to decide.......Hell I had a Barriene Tang on order and changed my mind to the Sohal the day before he was to ship....Enjoy the the ride.:lol:

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 03:25 PM
I LOVE the duss tang, my favorite when adults but I've heard that they get extremely aggressive when older. If you get a small queen and add her last, you'll be fine. My queen was not a bully at all. Tinker wouldnt be bad, neither would anthias. I like the chocolate mimic tang, orange shoulder, both gorgeous as adults.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 03:55 PM
I have tank now but since the sohal was going to be last that's why I say he was going in in a year

wanabebell
12/18/2008, 03:57 PM
the sohol wont be bad as long as its not challeged for "alpha fish" when the fish makes the mistake of challenging it watch out the challenger is in for a royal beating...

weluvfish54
12/18/2008, 03:59 PM
i only found one fish more agressive then my sohal...a passer angel. tore him up at first! MUST add sohals last for sure. LAST period.

wanabebell
12/18/2008, 04:04 PM
I added my lunar wrasse after the sohol but the sohol got "sumped" for a week and a half while the wrasse got used to the tank, eating

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 04:17 PM
Can u post a pic of the duss? What about the mata tang has anybody heard of the mata tang

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 04:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13971868#post13971868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild
Can u post a pic of the duss? What about the mata tang has anybody heard of the mata tang

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBS&resnum=1&q=acanthurus%20dussumieri&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Mata's are neat as well, if asked to rate my favorite big Tangs, I would go Horse-shoe (Also called Fowleri, very expensive and rare), then Sohal, then Duss, then Bariene.

Achilles is still my favorite though.

Agree with DPS about Chocolate/Mimic...One of the most underrated tangs there are, very pretty as adults.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 04:58 PM
Are all of there tails blue? What does the horseshoe tang look like? I like the duss with the blue tail. How big do they get

WuHT
12/18/2008, 05:24 PM
the big ones in the oceans have yellow tails ..not sure why i havne't seen any captive ones with yellow tails .. only black ones.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 05:37 PM
Maybe I will just go with the tinker butterfly or trio bartlett anthais.Anybody know anything about the tinker butterfly or any good schooling anthais

BigTuna321
12/18/2008, 07:11 PM
pretty fish for sure

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 08:01 PM
I was looking at the duss tang and Im starting to like him. Can you tell me more about them? The book I have has over 500 species of fish in and no duss tang.liveaquaria doesn't have it either.Marinecenter has it but doesn't offer anything on it

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 08:05 PM
They get HUGE! Can get aggressive from what I've heard. The are ugly until they hit about a foot or so. Once fully grown, gorgeous fish.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 08:24 PM
So what's your vote vlamingi,tinker butterfly, trio anyhias or duss tang ?

kirkaz
12/18/2008, 08:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13973345#post13973345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
They get HUGE! Can get aggressive from what I've heard. The are ugly until they hit about a foot or so. Once fully grown, gorgeous fish.

They do get big 22+ inch in the wild....Haven't owned one, but from what I have been told they are aggressive like any Acanthurus Tang, but nowhere near what the Sohal is.....BlueZooAquatics has them regularly for around $150 or less, they are closed until after Christmas though....And yes, gorgeous as adults, more dull as juvi, kind of like Blochi in that regard.

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 08:37 PM
In your tank, I'd go with the tinker and the anthias.

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 08:39 PM
So vlamingi,tinker butterfly,trio anthais, or duss?

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13973635#post13973635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild
So vlamingi,tinker butterfly,trio anthais, or duss?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13973609#post13973609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
In your tank, I'd go with the tinker and the anthias.

weluvfish54
12/18/2008, 09:11 PM
achilles is def very nice! i have a very nice one

psilentchild
12/18/2008, 09:59 PM
So I can add 4 more fish to that list? One large and three small anthais.I thought my tank would be over stocked.What are some cool anthais I was looking at the bartlett or botched which are very expensive for 3 around the same price as one tinker butterfly

jmccown
12/19/2008, 05:40 AM
Don't worry about overstocking :) just look at this guys tank.

I think all this guys fish are really healthy looking. There's even a PBT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7CAuweshQ

psilentchild
12/19/2008, 10:03 AM
Im having mixed emotion about not being able to get the sohal.Part of me say get him and part of me says don't cause I would be highly upspet if he killed one of my fish or a fish dies for other reason and I can't replace them

Recty
12/19/2008, 11:29 AM
To be honest, if you really want a Sohal, I'd go for it with your current setup. The biggest thing is you need to be aware of the potential of them, which you sound like you are.

If you only watch the tank once a week, it's probably a bad move. If you watch it daily, you'll be able to notice if a fish starts getting beat up or if the Sohal is really aggressive, and take steps to get rid of it. I wouldnt worry that you'll just all the sudden have dead fish everywhere, you have a large tank with lots of LR for them to hide in.

My sohal chases some fish, but he doesnt chase them around nonstop even into the rock and just pound them to death. He just chases them away from what he currently thinks is his spot and then lets them swim to wherever they want. He doesnt just chase and chase and chase and kill them.

It's a risk getting a sohal, but usually the best things in life come with some risk involved :) Just be ready with a removal plan if needed.

Recty
12/19/2008, 11:32 AM
I'd just get a small one, dont buy a 12" bruiser to start with... let it grow up in your tank and be used to your current fish and I dont think you'd have problems, but each fish is different.

Here is my little 3" dude.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/Recty/sohal012.jpg

DamnPepShrimp
12/19/2008, 03:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13975174#post13975174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmccown
Don't worry about overstocking :) just look at this guys tank.

I think all this guys fish are really healthy looking. There's even a PBT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7CAuweshQ

I love a lot of fish and probably run my tanks slightly over stocked as some would say but that tank is just DISGUSTING! Wow, that is so horrible and sad. Usually I love fully stocked fish, but man, that is ridiculous!

psilentchild
12/19/2008, 03:22 PM
Im on here on my phone and can't watch videos.Is the video overstocked bad?

jmccown
12/19/2008, 04:25 PM
You'll just have to see it psilent. Overstocked it is an understatement.

joeyt66
12/20/2008, 07:03 AM
i would definatly get a sohal. I keep mine with a blue ring and a townsend angel along with purple naso yellow tangs. hes about 6+ inches. The only problem i had was when i tried to introduce a Powder blue, he just didnt like him and beat him up pretty bad. other then that i have added the townsend and a few others with no problems. Plus he is the charector of the tank. Darts back and forth to know end. My favorite fish !!!!