PDA

View Full Version : when to get a clean up crew for your tank

kurquhart1
12/18/2008, 10:37 AM
so as some of you know, ive been doing my tank for a week now and its in the cycle process , its my first time with saltwater. ive made alot of adjustments so far. its just a tank for my 2 toddlers in there room so it wont be extravagent (mone will eventually) but i was wondering, when is it time to purchase a clean up crew?

brdracing
12/18/2008, 10:56 AM
I started getting my CUC when I started seeing green growth on the glass and sand. So about 2 to 3 weeks after setting up the tank.

Michael
12/18/2008, 12:43 PM
my suggestion would be when ammonia and nitrite have been 0 for 2-3 days and you have done a 20% water change to dilute the nitrate formed from the cycle, start spending extra time testing, and when you are 100% sure the cycle is definately over then introduce some cuc, HTH:)

crvz
12/18/2008, 01:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13970094#post13970094 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
my suggestion would be when ammonia and nitrite have been 0 for 2-3 days and you have done a 20% water change to dilute the nitrate formed from the cycle, start spending extra time testing, and when you are 100% sure the cycle is definately over then introduce some cuc, HTH:)

And this may take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Usually testing the water is the best way to understand.

Michael
12/18/2008, 01:37 PM
hey crvz, (sorry to be off thread kurquhart) ive seen your fantastic tank pics, however have you got a very early pic you can stick on my thread, i need guys with experience and knowledge like you to show before and after pics, its good for the shy newbies

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1520211

tims28gnano
12/18/2008, 05:07 PM
hey kurqu:

i am at the same spot as you, i have the 28 g nano hqi. i am a week into the cycle. i am not using a mechanical filter, are you? i am not sure if i should have carbon in my tank for the cycle. i also set up the skimmer the other day and then read in the book to NOT use a skimmer until the cycle is done!

i am not sure if i am doing it right, but glad to know that we are at the same spot!

good luck to you and happy holidays!

crvz
12/18/2008, 08:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13970393#post13970393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
hey crvz, (sorry to be off thread kurquhart) ive seen your fantastic tank pics, however have you got a very early pic you can stick on my thread, i need guys with experience and knowledge like you to show before and after pics, its good for the shy newbies

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1520211

I'm on it!

WaterKeeper
12/18/2008, 08:27 PM
Yes, when ammonia stays at zero you can add them and always add them when you see the first signs of a diatom, brown algae, bloom. That usually precedes the green algae appearance.