PDA

View Full Version : Amazing acrobatic lionfish

jhildebrand
12/18/2008, 04:07 PM
Still can't get over this. I stumbled upon this pic from right before the incident this summer and thought I'd share. Had him in a 100 gallon stock tank while re-doing the rockscape in the 260. I found him, still wet, in my slop sink next to the stock tank - The sink rim is 5 INCHES above and 3 INCHES away from the tank he was in. He was 12 inches and a pound and a half. Who knew a lion could jump like that? This guy was with me for just over 10 years. R.I.P., old buddy...

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/jhildebrand13210/Picture710.jpg[/IMG]

mborn
12/18/2008, 05:36 PM
Wow, beautiful fish. I wouldn’t have thought a lion would jump like that either. That’s very sad. Sorry for the loss.

jhildebrand
12/18/2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, caught me off guard. Even though he caused me compatibility grief over the years, still one of my favorites. It was like losing a dog. My other lion was almost 15 and passed on two weeks before he jumped. Loneliness he couldn't handle?

phish guy
12/18/2008, 06:29 PM
when i had my Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, he jumped out once too. it was like eight in the morning and i woke up to what i thought was a power head making a knocking noise. turns out its my lion flopping around on a piece of glass leaning behind the tank. snagged him in a net.

never thought lions would jump. they ussually swim so slow and graceful.

jhildebrand
12/19/2008, 09:05 AM
Who'd have thought? They never seem to do anything to expend extra energy. I thought my jumper was a fluke.

hoosierpat
12/19/2008, 11:56 AM
My dwarf lion jumped out quite a few times during feeding. It's possible that he thought that he saw food on the surface and just took a run at it and ran out of water to land in.

brutuscz
12/19/2008, 01:32 PM
I lost my lion after 1.5yrs to jumping out. e went over the overflow filter box and hit the floor...twice!! The first time I found him, threw him back in..and he lived. But, he looked terrible..and was never the same. 2-3 months later..same thing happened. That was all she wrote. I am done with venomous species though...my daughter is 14months, and I don't need any accidents!!! It never even occured to me that this could happen when I bought the lionfish. Found out the hard way.

motrbotr
12/19/2008, 08:35 PM
sorry about your loss! :(

jhildebrand
12/20/2008, 09:17 AM
Wow, LOL. I thought this would have been a rarity. My guy spent his days gliding across the tank and gently taking food from my hand. Can't figure out why he'd launch out like that. It will remain a mystery.

I wish I were in the Keys too...

CeeGee
12/20/2008, 09:47 AM
IME all fish jump. Sorry to hear about yours.

Has anyone ever has flame angel jerky? I found mine under the couch 10 feet away from the tank years ago.

jhildebrand
12/20/2008, 10:31 AM
Most mini marts have it right next to the Slim Jims!

I hate losing perfectly healthy fish. I would have taken any bet against him being able to do that.