PDA

View Full Version : Where to order a new tank online?

JohnLe712
12/18/2008, 04:15 PM
Hi all,

I need a new reef tank. where would you recommend for best price and best product? All inputs are appreciated. thx.

John Le

marks4470
12/18/2008, 06:27 PM
I ordered my tank on-line. The first time they shipped it, the shipment got lost in new mexico. I fially received my tank almost a month later. Do yourself a favor and look locally. That way you can see exactly what your getting, measure it for lights and stuff and you dont have to pay the shipping and hope it does not get lost or broken.

jrod11
12/18/2008, 06:36 PM
I would follow marks4470's suggestion about hooking up locally. Search on google for a local reefing forum in OK. Hop on the forum closest to you and post a thread asking where to get one made in your area. This will definitely save you lots of money and effort. Good luck!

noboddi
12/18/2008, 07:16 PM
What kind of tank are you looking for? If you want something custom, mail order can work. Why do you want to mail order?

tropicalfishstore.com has the best prices I have seen for *******. Good service too. Tru Vu Aquariums have good prices. Glass Cages - you either love them or hate them.

If you want a glass system, the LFS can custom order from AGA/Aqueon you know.

Agu
12/18/2008, 07:26 PM
Typically any standard tank will be cheaper buying it from your LFS. They're already paying for shipping so an extra tank or two isn't going to be a huge increase. In addition most stores realize you won't have a use for any of their other aquarium products if you don't have a tank.

But still shop around, prices can vary a lot.

Nagle
12/19/2008, 08:32 AM
I would say buy local. I wanted a bigger tank for awhile and the lfs got in a 220gal perfecto. I wanted it bad but couldnt afford $893+tax. Then I went in one day and he told they was having a pre-order sale on aga tanks and the aga 210gal tank was going to be $637+tax. So I ordered the tank and it didn't come in when it was suppost to. Since it didnt come in they offered me the 220 perfecto. I told them I would wait for the 210 because this was the best fish store with in 50 miles of me and I didnt want hard feeling. I told him his knowledge was worth the wait. Well he thanked me for not taking advantage of the situation and jumping on the 220. He then insisted I take the 220 I was going to agrue then. Heck that ended up being 30% off on the 220 and the overflows flow more and it came with the corner plumbing witch would have cost another $100 for the aga tank. Then when I went to pick up the tank I got 180lbs of sand at 25% off and enought tropic marin salt to do 300gal of water for $90. I bet if I would have ordered my tank online I wouldnt have got them kind of deals on the sand and salt

crvz
12/19/2008, 09:32 AM
I agree with the other recommendations, if it's a standard size tank you're looking for look around town. If you're looking for something unique, there are a number of good places. I've heard good things of miracles in glass.

JohnLe712
12/23/2008, 12:17 AM
thank you all for your advice. I have been looking at LFS and they wanted an arms and legs for it. So i thought i might check online. Again, thanks.

heyfredyourhat
12/23/2008, 09:36 AM
I would buy locally unless it is a custom you want.
Check out aquarium obsessed. Very nice stuff. They quoted me about 5K for my "dream tank"