PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on buying fish online

DamnPepShrimp
12/18/2008, 10:46 PM
Ok, well I am giving my passer back to my brother because that fish is just too mean. I am upgrading to a 180g temporarily until I can get my plywood tank going this spring when it gets warmer and I can build. I want to have multiple angels again, and I just don't see it with that bully. I used to have a juvi emperor and queen that never left each others sides, like they were a mated pair (obviously not). So I found a queen angel for a good price online, I have the retailer looking into other angels and fish as well, so I can save on shipping. Just wondering what you all think? Any ideas, opinions or experience? Everywhere else seems way to expensive and I want to get a queen, french and emperor. I'd love a blueface, but that would be pushing it until I get my 600g :) I never see queens or frenchs for sale anymore so I gotta go online. Emperors are a dime a dozen. So anything on this would be great, thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Queen-Angel-Juv-to-Medium_W0QQitemZ180313296618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180313296618&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Bruder
12/18/2008, 10:51 PM
I know a lot of people do it through various websites, many times everything working out great. Personally, I want to see the fish eat. I want to see it swim around for a bit. That is just my general feeling. I think that a LFS will be able to get you almost any fish you want.

Snausy
12/18/2008, 11:59 PM
I love liveaquaria.com(even diver's den although it's expensive) because they are ALWAYS on the phone when you need them and they will refund your money right away if anything goes wrong.

I've had some very good experiences with them. Lost a couple fish and they credited my card back without any questions. Lost a beautiful puffer because he got stuck in the Denver airport for two days during a blizzard but he didn't die until about a week after getting to me. They still honored it without question and were very apologetic understanding my frustration/emotion about it all while they credited my visa back immediately.

They are good people ime and I'll always use them if the LFS doesn't cut it...

DamnPepShrimp
12/19/2008, 03:57 PM
That guys store said he'd beat any price online. Sounds pretty good, I think they have a guarantee as well. Hmm... decisions.

LisaD
12/19/2008, 05:20 PM
Personally, I'd rather pay more upfront to a store I know has healthy fish than look for the best price. I've done this before and been burned almost every time. A guarantee doesn't do much good if you are out the shipping cost, and have spent $$$ trying to save a sick fish. JMO.

If you are looking for queen and French angels, why not try some of the Florida collectors? If you get it pretty much straight from the ocean, from a reputable source, you'll have a good chance of having it live.

Try www.divertom.com. He is Tom's Caribbean Tropicals, good guy.

Check the availability list. Right now, he has french, queen, blue and gray angels listed. :)

http://tomscaribbean.com/list.html

Not the cheapest, but I think he has good pricing, and the fish are pretty freshly collected. He knows how to maintain, pack and ship - I've visited his place a couple times. Shipping will be high, so fill up the box.

Or go diving with him and catch your own (see his vacation rental offer).

StayPuft
12/19/2008, 05:26 PM
I personally wouldn't buy anything from that EBay store. First of all they don't have enough feedback to trust them. Second, their fish prices are too good to be true. I'd rather pay more and buy from Liveaquaria and know that I am getting a healthy fish.

LisaD
12/19/2008, 05:30 PM
+1 on the ebay store comments - I had the same thoughts.

billsreef
12/19/2008, 07:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13978850#post13978850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StayPuft
Second, their fish prices are too good to be true.

That is saying a lot right there. The old adage "you get what you pay for" especially holds true with livestock. Cheap comes at the expense of the fishes health.

flameangel88
12/19/2008, 11:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13979497#post13979497 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
That is saying a lot right there. The old adage "you get what you pay for" especially holds true with livestock. Cheap comes at the expense of the fishes health.

Very true--just see my thread on 'One more fish--between Griffis Angel & Tinkers Butterfly' and look what I've been going thru with the Griffis. Tinker was from LA DD and Griffis was at a deep discount and I wanted bad as no one else had it at the time. Don't go by price and definitely don't rush like I did.

DamnPepShrimp
12/19/2008, 11:48 PM
I agree, thats why I always post here. I think I am going to look into a LFS getting them, I really don't trust shipping fish. I'd much rather see the fish in person, I can wait until they get them in. Thanks for all the replies everyone.