PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock?

lpkenneys
12/19/2008, 11:00 AM
Hi all, any suggestions on where to get some nice live rock from? I know locally is out of the question.. :-(

Elysia
12/19/2008, 04:56 PM
What do you mean by "nice"? I don't mean to be obtuse, but people have different ideas of what they would like on their rock.

I've bought rock from TFP/TPP and I have kept my tanks free of aiptasia. At the same time, when I see photographs of "nice" live rock in books, it doesn't look like mine.

There is some branchy rock at Treasures from the Sea that could be useful if you want to build something w/ zip ties. They also have some pieces w/ nice coraline growth on them; I don't know if they cost anything extra and they may all be large pieces. I happened to go in there right after they received a new shipment of rock -- it was probably a month ago. It was interesting to see the difference between live rock that has sit/cured and stuff a bit more "fresh."

I've also gone to a place down in MD that brings in farmed rock from Florida. It usually has macroalgae on it. Sea Save was the name of the place. That rock was more costly per pound than most of the stuff you see.

The only other store I have ever been to was also in MD (in Baltimore) and I honestly don't remember what their live rock was like.

If you get a good lead, let us know. I'd be interested in any local/semi-local salt stores.

Joe
12/19/2008, 05:28 PM
The rock from Treasures From The Sea was full of Aiptasia anemones when I was there a month ago. Yikes!

Joe

lpkenneys
12/19/2008, 10:25 PM
Thank you Joe!...

aushepherd
12/31/2008, 06:43 AM
Franklin Feed in Chambersburg has an assortment of things. The only problem: aptasia, and a lot of it. I quarintined all of my stuff to get rid of them, and the corals are doing good. It's been about two months now

Jandree22
12/31/2008, 12:09 PM
Just in my experience, hot kalk slurry shot into their mouths has been effective at taking care of most of an infestation, and pepermint shrimp have done good at keeping them from coming back. actually my pep shrimp is very nocturnal and I barely ever see him except under the moonlights, so you don't even have to like looking at 'em to have one!

that being said, i'm not exactly advising anyone to knowingly purchase aptasia infested rock, either... just sayin' :rollface:

Elysia
12/31/2008, 04:48 PM
Joel -- sorry to take this thread off topic, but love your black cap photo! I have considered getting one lately. I thought I would get an orchid dottyback, but I haven't seen a decent looking one for months, while I have seen some really healthy looking black caps. Did you like yours?

Jandree22
01/01/2009, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14051869#post14051869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elysia
Joel -- sorry to take this thread off topic, but love your black cap photo! I have considered getting one lately. I thought I would get an orchid dottyback, but I haven't seen a decent looking one for months, while I have seen some really healthy looking black caps. Did you like yours? thanks. Yeah I did like him a lot... in fact, I still do :p

I got mine from SaltwaterFish.com. Of the fish I got in that order, he was the weakest looking one when I opened the box... the classic look like he was DOA. But through the acclimation process he woke up from his hibernation and has been doing wonderful... model citizen in the tank. At first he was VERY shy, never came out during the day (they're caught deep @ ~160ft down), but after a few weeks he came around and now he's an open swimmer with a really cool personality... we always have staring competitions and you can tell the wheels are turning up there trying to figure me out. The 10k halides kind of wash his color out a bit (more pinkish), but he is absolutlely stunning under actinic (different shades of fluorescent purple). Definately one of my favorite fish, ever. Prices seem to be lower lately too, used to be you couldn't find one south of $50 - $70... SWF.com had him for $35, but now I see they're $25.

I would've gotten a Royal Gramma, but I already got a splash of yellow from my tang, so I decided to go all purple. :D

here's a better side pic...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/jandree22/75g%20Reef/DSC_0417.jpg

ranger07
01/05/2009, 08:17 AM
Where is franklin feed at in chambersburg ?