PDA

View Full Version : Help: how much Rowaphos in media reactor? I think I clogged it.

Whyireef
12/19/2008, 04:37 PM
I think I clogged my media reactor (from Marine Depot - the $44.95 all in one) with too much Rowaphos.

How much are you supposed to put in the reactor? Spoon fulls, or perhaps a cup or two full?

I started with about 1 1/2 cups, rinsed of course, then moved to a stronger pump (to a maxi-1200) and then took half out.....still jammed up to only allow a trickle.

I ask, because I believe a couple of spoon fulls would make everything flow, but that seems to be too little to be effective....??

Many thanks,

R-

schneijt
12/20/2008, 10:52 AM
How is the flow through the reactor? You don't want the media flying all over the place or trying to leave the reactor through the exit. I'll assume your unit is like most others and has the water flow from the bottom of the chamber up through the media and then out the top. You want the media at the bottom of the chamber with the top of the media gently "bubbling" or moving because of the flow. Since you're only getting a trickle out of the output, thoroughly clean the unit and check to see what might be clogged. I'd definitely save the ROWAphos in a bowl of RO/DI water so you can put it back in, since that stuff is a bit pricey. Remember that a phosphate reactor is not about flow. It's about giving water proper contact with the media. Trying to up the flow will only cause your media to fly around and grind itself into a fine powder that will end up in your tank. Just use enough flow to make the ROWAphos bubble on top, and you should be fine. Sounds like you just need to give the reactor a good cleaning, remove any clog (s) and then start over and go from there.

-Joe

Harry_Fish
12/20/2008, 01:03 PM
I use about one third of a cup in my tank (72 gal).

I put it in a media chamber in my skimmer but put a little
filter floss above it so it cant blow out into the tank.

Was there a sheet in it that told you how much to use?

Michael
12/20/2008, 01:30 PM
firstly a maxi-jet 1200 is way too powerful for a reactor, i use 1 quarter of the reactor filled with rowaphos and 3 quarters water, its controlled by a maxi-jet 400, i suggest you replace your pump, just too much power,

AZDesertRat
12/21/2008, 12:16 PM
Phosban recommends 150 grams maximum and start out with half the recommended amount to begin with to reduce the effects it will have on the inhabitants.

VaderWS6
12/21/2008, 01:22 PM
Be very careful how much you add, I used too much once and killed my pink birdsnest. Start out with just a little, and work your way up. Keep a close eye on everything the first week or so.

Whyireef
12/21/2008, 03:41 PM
Many thanks - I used about 300 grams with the original aquavia pump, then switched to the maxi1200....I took half out w/1200 pump, still didn't work. I switched to a maxi400 and still nothing but a VERY slight trickle.

So, with the maxi400 I took out nearly all of the Rowaphos (left two-spoon fulls) and still a trickle. I'm baffled.

MD offered to take back the unit and the Rowaphos.

I will likely use my maxi-400 with another media reactor MD sells, and a larger grain phos-ban.

Any favorite reactors (less than $100) and media (up to $65)?

AZDesertRat
12/21/2008, 05:18 PM
All you want for flow is about 60 gallons per hour maximum in a Phosban Reactor so it will not be much more than a trickle. The surface of the media should just be boiling a little bit so it will not pack down.
You do have the flow hooked up in reverse don't you so it goes down the center tube the under the media and out the side tube?

Whyireef
12/21/2008, 05:22 PM
I believe I have it hooked up properly. I took the top off with the pumps working and the flow was fantastic.

When the cap was screwed on properly, the output was just a trickle; certainly not 60 gph, more like 1 gph. I haven't the first clue why - I'm baffled and confused. I was down to two tablespoons, so Rowaphos compacting too tight wasn't the issue.

I was looking to purchase another brand and put my maxi-400 to it, along with phosban media that is larger in granule size.

Anyone know a reliable setup for under $200 retail for reactor and media?

AZDesertRat
12/21/2008, 05:27 PM
Just for giggles try reversing the pump from one line to the other. The media should rise and boil even with a MJ400 or minijet 404.

floridacatfish
12/22/2008, 05:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13989019#post13989019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VaderWS6
Be very careful how much you add, I used too much once and killed my pink birdsnest. Start out with just a little, and work your way up. Keep a close eye on everything the first week or so.

Been thinking of getting one too. What's happens as a result of adding one (besides reducing phos) that it would kill stuff? I just need to know what to look out for. Thanks.

AZDesertRat
12/22/2008, 07:48 AM
Too much too fast and it bleaches SPS.

floridacatfish
12/22/2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks. :-)