PDA

View Full Version : Hammer, Torch, Frogs.. what's wrong?

Rodrigo_BG
12/19/2008, 05:33 PM
Hello there, I have a problem. All my corals are looking very nice (zoas, ricordeas, mushs, yellow polips, gsp and so on...) Excepet for those EUPHYLLIA species (Torch, grape, hammer, frogspawn..) those corals, NO WAY, they all come to my tank in good shape, big, all open, and here they become very shy, they all retracts there arms (tentacles) and they look very small, whit the arms very narrow. What should be happening? ALL corals flourish very well here, expect for those euphyllia family. There are no deseas in those corals, they just don't pop up (inflate).

Circulation? No way, very light.
Lightning? 8 T5 39W for 45g.
Ca: 400
RA: 7.5
Ph: 8.1

:confused:

kpendarvis
12/19/2008, 06:33 PM
What is the temperature of your tank? It appears to me that the Euphyllia might be suffering from high temperature. I has the same problem when the temperature was above 80F or 26.7C. I lowered the temp to 75F or 23.8C and the Euphyllia all recovered within two weeks.

Rodrigo_BG
12/19/2008, 06:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13979274#post13979274 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kpendarvis
What is the temperature of your tank? It appears to me that the Euphyllia might be suffering from high temperature. I has the same problem when the temperature was above 80F or 26.7C. I lowered the temp to 75F or 23.8C and the Euphyllia all recovered within two weeks.

Thanks.. My tank runs at 28ÂșC. I will try to lower some degrees.

kpendarvis
12/19/2008, 07:32 PM
28C is quite high. Most likely the colors of your other corals will become even brighter with lower temperature. I would try and reach 24C.

Rodrigo_BG
12/20/2008, 10:24 AM
maybe is to much light, I have notice that when my lights turns off my torch opens much more that when lights are on. I think 8 T5 bulbs with icecaps ballast spoted 2 inches above surface could be to much for these type of coral. Tank is 20" deep. Corals are placed in midle watter.

kpendarvis
12/20/2008, 12:43 PM
I have an 18 inch tank and I am only using two t5 60 watt UV Lighting Co. bulbs. These two alone are blinding. I personally think your Euphyllias would be happier if you use only 4 of the bulbs. That would also cut down on the heat.

macchicks
12/20/2008, 02:26 PM

I am very new at this but my frogspawn gets bigger and happier when I have more flow in its direction. Its in the path of my skimmer flow. When the skimmer is running fast it is happy. If I turn it down to slow it shrinks up to an ok size.

My reason for turning skimmer flow down is its a seaclone occasionally I like to look at the tank without all the micro bubbles. New skimmer after xmas.

E.intheC
12/21/2008, 09:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13983751#post13983751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by macchicks

I am very new at this but my frogspawn gets bigger and happier when I have more flow in its direction. Its in the path of my skimmer flow. When the skimmer is running fast it is happy. If I turn it down to slow it shrinks up to an ok size.

My reason for turning skimmer flow down is its a seaclone occasionally I like to look at the tank without all the micro bubbles. New skimmer after xmas.

You just don't want to have too much flow. They like moderate flow and moderate light. You might want to try and move the corals down toward the bottom a bit.

Also watch your salinity.. Mine crept up very quickly to 1.030 (I know..) and it essentially killed my beloved frogspawn...