PDA

View Full Version : Blue stripped angelfish

psilentchild
12/20/2008, 09:54 AM
Has anybody heard of this fish? Its not a blue ring angel I was in my LFS yesterday and was looking in this book called angel's and butterfly's. I wanted to buy it but didn't have any money on me. But anyway they had a fish in there called a blue stripped angefish.It was kinda of yellow with horizontal blue lines like the blue lined triggerish.Well the book said it use to be a popular fish but has disappeared from the trade market.But they were trying to make a come back.Do anybody know anything about this fish?

LisaD
12/20/2008, 10:12 AM
It's a species of Chaetodontoplus, really nice fish, a little pricey. I've seen them for sale occasionally.

http://marinefishmaster.com/marinegallery/thumbs/lrg-389-blue_stripe_angelfish.jpg

psilentchild
12/20/2008, 11:02 AM
Do you know what there temperment is like. The book I was looking at didn't have the temperment in it. How much did they cost the ones u seen. Also where did u seen them at?

psilentchild
12/20/2008, 11:10 AM
Where did you get that picture? I have been looking on the net and haven't ound anything on them

LisaD
12/20/2008, 11:50 AM
just do a google image search on "blue striped angelfish" or "Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis". Check marine angelfish articles on www.wetwebmedia.com, not a lot of info, but some. The Scott Michael angelfishes and butterflyfishes book is a great reference.

I haven't kept one, but the genus has a reputation for being less aggressive than the Pomacanthus angels. They also tend to be a little smaller. I think the blue stripe gets about 8". I think they are beautiful fish, but they can be delicate and difficult to acclimate to captivity.

Take a look at Kevin Kohen's post (DFS) in this thread about my blue spotted angelfish (related to blue striped angel):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1530074

virginiabreeze6
12/20/2008, 01:31 PM
The Blue line I had was an awesome angel. Very peaceful with the others, swam always in the open, and never ate corals(maybe I was just very lucky):)

They usually come into the sates around March from the Sea of Japan area.

As soon as my new tank is completed, it will be one of the 1st Angels in.

Good Luck

virginiabreeze6
12/20/2008, 01:47 PM
Here are 2 old pics of the one I enjoyed

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i195/virginiabreeze6/may070102.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i195/virginiabreeze6/may07028.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i195/virginiabreeze6/april07043.jpg
excuse me, 3 pics. I just learned to count

kistin
12/20/2008, 02:31 PM
blue line angel fish very nice, it that easy keep to or not,how long have you have that fish,,,,:eek2:

lesleybird
12/20/2008, 03:15 PM
Nice fish that gets to 10 inches so you need at least a 90 plus when they are less than 6 inches or so, and 180 plus when they are full grown. My book says they semi-aggressive but not as aggressive as most other large angels in general. Lesley

LisaD
12/20/2008, 03:26 PM
here's an article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/Fish.htm

according to fishbase, a reliable source on species, they get 22 cm. I've also read 25 cm from a reliable source.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/speciessummary.php?id=11124

as far as correct minimum tank size (in this case, for tangs) this thread is very interesting and informative. I think the discussion could apply to angels as well.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1534314

myerst2
12/20/2008, 04:19 PM
Very difficult fish to get healthy. Usually caught using harsh methods, i.e gill nets and etc. It's a long trip for them to the states. They are almost always infested with internal parasites. Worth every penny. An absolutely stunning fish. Some more pics for you!!! T

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/angels/akanekinncyakudai2-20041220.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/akanekinncyakudai3.jpg

LisaD
12/20/2008, 04:26 PM
virginiabreeze, what size was your tank? very nice!

Tim, are those images true blue lines, hybrids, or some kind of subspecies? from what I've read in Scott Michael's book, taxonomy in this genus is a little unclear.

myerst2
12/20/2008, 04:59 PM
It is still up for debate whether there are two species or one. IMO I think they are one. The fish I posted are the ones they consider the "new" species the Maze Angel Chaet. cephalareticulatus, whereas the Blue line is Chaet. chrysocephalus. T

psilentchild
12/20/2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks all the information is great. I was thinking about getting the blue ring angel but I think Im going to go with the blue striped angel instead if he is available at the time I get ready for one

flameangel88
12/20/2008, 06:08 PM
Hard to find them eating and no health issue. I'd two over the summer anf for the brief time I think there was potential of the two pairing off in the future. Unfortunately the smaller one died after about 12 days. The larger one took 7.5 weeks to eat and right after it started to eat frozen my tank came down with ich (and possibly velvet) and exploded rather quickly and the BL was still weak as it just started to eat. Try to feed it live clams on the half-shell to entice feeding.

here's some pics
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/Blue%20Line%20Angel/IMG_3355.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/Blue%20Line%20Angel/IMG_3332.jpg

When they come in they're usually pretty skinny and loaded with parasites so try to get one from a reputable dealer.

flameangel88
12/20/2008, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13984878#post13984878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild
Thanks all the information is great. I was thinking about getting the blue ring angel but I think Im going to go with the blue striped angel instead if he is available at the time I get ready for one

Check over at reefhotspot.com (RC sponsor) or email the owner Max to see if he can get one (special order from his suppliers) that's smaller in size then the 6-7"as they fare better and I heard someone here on RC mentioned theirs ate out of the bag from RHS.

psilentchild
12/20/2008, 06:15 PM
From what I have been reading is a lot of them are captive raise. If I decide to get him sounds like he would need a long time in the QT

virginiabreeze6
12/20/2008, 07:14 PM
LisaD, it was a 210. My fish annd set up was done by Marvin who now handles the Deltec USA line. I think I had seen you working with him in the past. ( great guy )
My new tank will have more depth and be in the 280 range when completed.

Psilentchild, if you find a reputable supplier, with this specimen they should be willing to hold for up to a month. It may cost you a 50% deposit, but well worth getting the angel to eat and be clean of parasites.

Mine was a dream, acclimated quickly, settled in well, and was one of the easiest I kept. But with all, it can be hit or miss, depend on the supplier, and most importantly the enviroment you put them into.

Good luck with your decision.

LisaD
12/20/2008, 08:29 PM
liveaquaria diver's den has several in QT, not offered for sale yet. they have the best fish health management of any seller I know of. contact Kevin Kohen (screen name DFS), the liveaquaria Director of Aquatics on availability, size, health.

psilentchild
12/20/2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks Lisa you have been very helpful. You have gave me some good advice on other threads. So in ur opinioni you had to choice the blue ring or the blue striped? Everyone else fell free to answer to

jnc914
12/20/2008, 09:43 PM
I have 2 Blueline coming from my supplier next week, they are coming out of Taiwan. I am going to try to pair a 3" with a 5" specimen. Collection of these specimens used to be seasonal, however they are now being collected several times throughout the year. My last Blueline was caught in March of this year in Vietnam, I paid $149. It was healthy and eating right out of the bag. I treated with Prazi for parasites and he was good to go. Unfortunatley, a Regal with velvet wiped out my tank and my Blueline was the first fatality.

BTW, If you search in the Reef Fish Forum for Blueline Angel there are several informative threads, some of which I have posted pics of the one I used to have.

flameangel88
12/20/2008, 09:51 PM
I've been watching the 12" Blue Ring at my lfs this past year originally in a 600 reef and now in a 700 L shape reef. Looks happy with lots of large rocks and tankmates in there. According to the owner it nips corals occasionally but not enough to wipe out the colonies. The max size of this fish is 18" but will mostly nowhere near the max in captivity. The max of Blue Line is about 9" and depending how small you get the specimen I doubt it will reach max in the tank.

It comes down to how big you will house the angel in now and how big will you plan to upgrade down the road will determine which fish is best for you.

Which ever you decide both are beautiful.

LisaD
12/20/2008, 10:03 PM
thank you for the kind words, psilentchild.

assuming you have a tank big enough for either, I'd recommend the blue ring (annularis) because it is a hardier angel. you're pretty new to the hobby, right? angels aren't beginner fish, but the Pomacanthus (which are BIG, blue ring belongs to this group) and the Centropyge (the dwarf angels, which are smaller) are really the hardiest, IMO. if you want to research angels, get Scott Michael's book Angelfishes and Butterflies and get on the angel-specific threads started by the most experienced angel keepers, where other experienced keepers post. some are in this forum, but many are in reef fishes, too. I don't consider myself an experienced angel keeper, even though I've kept saltwater tanks a long time, and have kept dwarf angels and emperors for several years. I have only recently tried keeping multiple angels.

if you think you might like to have more than one angel, do even more research, and plan your stock, the order and the size you add it.

this thread is all over the place, but if you read it through, you'll learn some really valuable information about angels and see some beautiful tank pictures.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1514248

psilentchild
12/20/2008, 11:02 PM
I will be keeping it in 388 gallon tank. I have been FW since I was a child a SW for about a year now. I like to pick all my fish out before I even set my tank up. I research all my fish and based on what disease they are prone to and the size that get will determine weather or not they make the list or not.Then base on their temperment and if they will get along with the main fish I want will determine if they will remain on the list and what order I get them in. Like with the 388 gallon the sohal tang and queen angel will be the last fish I put in there. Also I get on here and ask what people think of the list I have picked out.

AuroraDrvr
12/20/2008, 11:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13984551#post13984551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by myerst2
It is still up for debate whether there are two species or one. IMO I think they are one. The fish I posted are the ones they consider the "new" species the Maze Angel Chaet. cephalareticulatus, whereas the Blue line is Chaet. chrysocephalus. T
Blue Line is C. septentrionalis. C. chrysocephalus is the current species name for Mazes, C. cephalareticulatus is an outdated species name not usually recognized anymore, except by EZ Marine for whatever reason. :)

LargeAngels
12/21/2008, 09:39 AM
Blueline has come to be one of my favorites. Like stated above they can be hard to feed, especially the larger ones. I got one this past July and when I saw it was 8" I didn't think it would make it. It took 7 weeks for it to eat. Luckily it was so fat it looked like it just came out of the ocean. Now it eats like crazy, but only mysis. Pretty melow fish, except don't mess with it at feeding time until it has had it's fill.

psilentchild
12/21/2008, 01:04 PM
I think Im going to get him instead of the blue ring. Hopefully by the time I get ready or him LA DD will have one. In the mean time I will study up on them. How long should I keep this fish in my QT?

jnc914
12/21/2008, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13988925#post13988925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild
I think Im going to get him instead of the blue ring. Hopefully by the time I get ready or him LA DD will have one. In the mean time I will study up on them. How long should I keep this fish in my QT?

Don't get me wrong, LA Diver's Den has quality fish, but everyone knows they are a bit overpriced. Expect to pay $350-$400 easily for a Blueline from them. The mark up on a Blueline is ridiculous considering the wholesale on them is like $30. When I was looking for one last year, LA had one late in the "season"- around October or November that went for $375. If you definitely want one, shop around, ask people on ReefCentral about there contacts and resources, do some research. I would rather pay to get one direct from the source for a third of the price and QT and medicate as necessary. If you can Qt and medicate the fish yourself, why pay more for someone else to do it for you? As for getting Chaetodontoplus to eat, you have the same chance as LA does in getting the fish to eat. You are basically paying additional for the 14 day guarantee. IME, unless a fish is severely ill upon arrival, most will last longer than the 14 days they are guaranteed anyway.

****I just noticed you have 1 year of experience. Not to be sound rude or condescending, but maybe this is a fish that you should refrain from obtaining until you have some additional experience as they do need above average to moderate levels of care. Blue Rings are hardier and a bit easier to keep IMO.

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 07:22 AM
Well in the salt water world experience is not base on years.Here is what I'm talking about.If you have been in SW for 10 years and have never had any problem with your fish.All your fish have been very hardy and eating well from day one.Now I have been in SW for a year and none of my fish were hardy and a bunch have died and none of them were eating in the beginning.But I got all of them healthy and eating well.Now who has more experience me with a year worth of experience with not healthy fish or you with 10 years worth experience with all healthy fish.Now I'm just talking in general my fish has not been unhealthy I have had one fish die since I have been in SW.I'm just saying you get experience by doing and failing not by years.Now the blue striped angal may be a expensive lesson.What about the regal angel my LFS has had a bunch of regal angel and all of them were eating?

LisaD
12/22/2008, 07:58 AM
If you want a blue striped angel, then go for it. All I meant was that you might have a greater chance of success to start out with a hardier angel. Don't take what Jason and I said as being meant to be insulting.

Anyone who has kept marine fish 10 years with no problems with their fish is either incredibly lucky, or a liar. You do learn from years of experience, trust me. It helps a lot to be able to post on the forums and get feedback from people who have been there with a particular fish. That can help shorten the learning curve if you can benefit from other people's mistakes and experience.

One thing I would strongly suggest to you is that you decide on your stock list before you get many more fish. You have a large tank, and have been asking about some very different fish (sohal tang, vlamingi, angels, etc.) Besides disease, compatibility is one of the major issues in FOWLR.

What fish do you have, and what fish will you get?

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 08:43 AM
I was hoping I wasnt coming off that way.I'm sorry if I did. I come on here for help and if everyone say dont then I dont.I work for the fire dept and I was thinking about when I got certified to drive the fire truck the instructor said that if you go to court saying I got 10 years drivng the fire truck emergency status.The lawyer would break it down like this .You averge 4 calls a day it takes 5 minutes to get there.Thats 20 min a day times 9 days a month which thats how many days we work a month is 180 minutes which is 3 hrs.Then 3 time 12(how many months in a year) is 36 which is a day and a half.Then 36 time 10 cause thats how long you have been driving is 360 which is only 15 days worth of experience that you have of driving a fire truck emergency status.Everyone in the class was like wow man if you look at it that way its true.So I was sitting here think and I was like hey its the same thing in SW if you have had nothing go wrong can you really count that as experience.Again I am sorry if I came across as if yall were insulting me.I was just sharing a thought

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 09:01 AM
I just wanted to say I am sorry again for coming off that way.Lisa I posted I fish list in another thread and was looking for your imput on that thread since you have giving me good information before but you never did post anything.I know you gave some good info on the 300 gallon list so I thought you could gave some insight on the 388 gallon list.I have been on here everyday waiting on you to post something.So I guess next time the thread should read hey lisaD read this.So here it goes the first 6 I already have so there is nothing I could do about that.In the fish list for 388gallon thread everyone said I should be ok but if you think not then tell me what should go what should stay and what should be replace with what.I liked the way you broke the last list down with the * for good ** caution ***stay away
1. 2 maroon clown
2. orange sleeper goby
3. midas blenny
4. orange spotted rabbit fish
5. bicolor angel
6. kole tang
The next is fish that going to be add
7. trio anthias dont know what kind yet
8. male female blue throat trigger
9. scibbled angel
10. blue ring angel
11. blonde naso
12. queen angel
13.sohal tang
Also that is the order I was going to put the fish in the 388 gallon tank to.I would like your imput on that to

LisaD
12/22/2008, 09:19 AM
hey, no problem. that's the problem with typing, hard to tell where people are coming from sometimes. rereading my post, I see it sounds kind of snappish, not meant that way by me at all.

people ask for advice, and they are under no obligation to follow the advice they get (which is what I meant when I said get the blue stripe if you want it). when it comes down to it, it's totally your choice, and no one should be insulted if you weigh in on the different opinions and information you get and make what you feel is the best decision for yourself.

I see where you're coming from on the experience thing, but really, in SW, something will always go wrong, and years do end up counting. :) though, I'll say I learned the most from about 2003 to 2006 when I was seriously into seahorses. those animals get the weirdest diseases. I was also trying to raise fry, and that's a whole other level of stuff to work through.

sounds like you have an awesome tank.

I have one other comment on liveaquaria. several people have commented that they are high priced. to me, they are a great value, especially Diver's Den for rare/delicate fish. they are so
worth it because I'm confident the fish I get are much less stressed than they would be coming from just about anyone else. I feel like I'm paying for much more than the 14 day guarantee. I am getting a fish that left the facility packed right (which doesn't happen enough), eating, healthy, and less stressed than just about any place else. for what you can expect from other vendors, just read some of the posts about the condition some recent fish purchases arrived in (e.g., recent purchases of goldenheart triggers).

within the last couple months, I bought a puffer and a tang from another site that has a two week guarantee. the puffer was what I really wanted. I figured, what's the risk, puffers are bulletproof. both of the fish came very sick. the company did the right thing and refunded my money, all of it, including shipping. even with that, I spent more than what the fish cost in meds and water changes, and after a whole lot of time and effort, lost them anyway.

fish from liveaquaria still need to be QT'd, but I'd rather pay
extra for a fish I really want, and have some peace of mind, than go through what I did with the puffer and tang I got from the other company. not trying to run them down, their service was fine. but I'm probably not going to buy fish from them again unless I see a whole lot of glowing reviews in the vendor feedback forum.

flameangel88
12/22/2008, 09:24 AM
psilentchild--

We are all here to share our experiences and helping each other out. With that said, I think you're missing an important point. When you see fish eating it may not neccessarily mean the fish is healthy and will not give you problem. This year I'd a Bandit and Griffis that came in eating and died within 12-14 days. Unfortunately I didn't recognize the magnitude of the pink spots they had when I received them. There wasn't much I could have done since these were online purchases but now if I see fish with pink spots at the lfs I wouldn't go near it. I was just thinking over the weekend after my recent loss I would need to be an biologist or vet in understanding and dealing with some of the more complicated diseases and even then it may still be too late by the time we see the signs.

Heck, I got my Red Cross CPR and Std First Aid certification 1.5 yr ago but never had a chance to use it yet. Is that a good thing when the next person comes along needing my help? I'm sure I'd be more confident if I'd previous live experiences.

I love this hobby and the very reason I come back everyday to learn from others. Blue Line is beautiful fish and wish you much enjoyment! :)

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 09:32 AM
Now if I get the blue striped or the regal they would go in first atfter my old fish

LisaD
12/22/2008, 09:36 AM
what are your old fish?

the challenge with stocking delicate angels like that is that they should go into a very well established tank. but you can run into problems if you add more aggressive fish before the angels.

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 10:04 AM
I'm CPR certified too and it was years before I had to use it.The first time I done CPR I broke the person ribs and I was like ohh I done messed up.I came to find out if you break a rib that means you are doing it right.Now I break a rib I keeping on going.My fish list now which they are in a 72 gallon are 2 maroon clown,orange sleeper goby,midas blenny,orange spotted rabbitfish,bicolor angel, and a kole tang.I have a 30 gallon QT now but once I get all my fish out of my 72 gallon I would turn my 72 gallon into a QT.So what do you think about my fish list?MY tank is L shape 10 feet long one way 5 feet long on the bottom half of the L and 2 1/2 feet tall and wide.I was told that my tank is bigger than 388

flameangel88
12/22/2008, 10:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13994386#post13994386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild
I'm CPR certified too and it was years before I had to use it.The first time I done CPR I broke the person ribs and I was like ohh I done messed up.I came to find out if you break a rib that means you are doing it right.Now I break a rib I keeping on going.

That's good to know--my Red cross trainer didn't tell us that. Due to a recent court ruling (I can't remember which state) a victim can sue a good samaritan one has to be carefull.

The BL should do well in the 10" tank. Offer it live calm on the half-shell in the beginning if it doesn't eat prepared food.

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 10:26 AM
There are good Samaritan laws in the United States laws or acts protecting from liability those who choose to aid others who are injured or ill. They are intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death. Good Samaritan laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.What some people dont know is that if you are of sound mind we can not make you go to the hospital I dont care if you have been shot in the head if you say no we cant make you go.Even if your love ones say yes you are going.You have to tell us that you want to go if not we could be charged with kidnapping.Now we are going to do what ever we can do to make you go but when it comes down to it its your choice.Is my fish list cool?

LisaD
12/22/2008, 11:37 AM
I don't know how I missed your list - both times! Just Monday, I guess... I haven't kept a tank as big as yours, and don't have first hand experience with all of these fish, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

1. 2 maroon clown - should be able to hold their own, but I would not add first to a smaller tank. in yours, this may be okay. these are some of the most aggressive clownfish. if they cause trouble to a new fish, you might want to catch/isolate for a while. of course, in a tank the size of yours, there is lots of room for territory.

2. orange sleeper goby - may not be safe with the tankmates you plan. it will be at risk, but could be okay.

3. midas blenny - same as above, #2.

4. orange spotted rabbit fish - all the rabbitfish are great fish, you might even want to get a second one to keep a pair if you like this one and have enough room; they get 16".

5. bicolor angel - a beautiful dwarf angel, with a reputation of not having good survival in captivity. you are lfortunate if yours is doing well.

6. kole tang - great fish, should get along with everything.

are these fish in the big tank right now? BTW, with the exception of the bicolor angel, I'd consider all these to be good, hardy "beginner" fish.

The next is fish that going to be add

7. trio anthias dont know what kind yet (caution) can you feed several times a day? anthias can be kind of tricky. if it were me, I'd avoid them, and substitute something else. but anthias don't really do it for me anyway. my mom kept several successfully in a 210, but she was feeding something like 4-6 times a day. the tank was a lightly stocked reef, and water was perfect. even then, she lost a few until she got a trio that survived.

8. male female blue throat trigger (good) - these are beautiful fish, and a good trigger for a community tank. they may get picked on by more aggressive fish.

9. scibbled angel (good, with caution) - a little cheaper than the blue line (or did you mean blue line?) and IMO, a prettier fish. I've never kept it, but there are several on this and the reef fishes forum with a lot of experience. I'd make sure to get from a reputable supplier, get a healthy specimen, QT for a long time, at least 4 weeks, keep water pristine, and feed a variety of food several times a day, until you are sure it is eating well.

10. blue ring angel (good) really nice fish, and pretty hardy.

11. blonde naso (good) naso tangs are gorgeous fish, and pretty hardy. I'd stay at one, and get it medium sized, not full adult size. possible it will outgrow tank, though in the 90s I had a pair of 10" Nasos in a 125 for three years and they did really well. they were doing fine when I sold them, had to take down the tank due to a cross-country move.

12. queen angel (caution) queens are gorgeous, but they get huge and can be very aggressive. I'd wait and see a while how your other additions go, and then revisit the idea of adding the queen.

13.sohal tang (avoid) I have never kept one, but would be afraid it would harass my other fish from what I've read.

Also that is the order I was going to put the fish in the 388 gallon tank to.I would like your imput on that to

I think your order is basically okay, just be sure that if there is a lot of aggression with a new addition, that you can either divide the tank or put the aggressor in another (time out) tank for a while. mixing angels is a risk and an art. the experienced multiple angel keepers will have a lot of good advice on doing that. you might even want to put up a divider to start with, and after a new fish comes out of QT, put it in the divided area for a while.

If it were me, this is how I'd stock (keeping your six original fish):

1. 2 maroon clown
2. orange sleeper goby
3. midas blenny
4. orange spotted rabbit fish - maybe a pair
5. bicolor angel
6. kole tang

7. trio of flame angels (get advice from flameangels about how to do it)
8. male female blue throat trigger
9. blue hepatus tang or mimic tang
10. blonde naso tang
11. Australian harlequin tuskfish or hogfish
12. dogface puffer color morph - black or dalmation
13. emperor or blue face angel

Post some pictures of your tank when you can!

relative to your last post, thought I just saw a headline about a court decision allowing a paralyzed woman to sue the good samaritan who saved her life?

EDIT - here it is, California:
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6498405&page=1

and some discussion in the responder community:
http://www.centralpafire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29630

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 12:31 PM
That may be true on the sue cause the Good Samaritan laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.It has also been awhile since I took EMT so things could have change and I could have forgotten some laws.I meant the scibbled angel not blue line.The old fish are still in the 72 gallon.I'm picking up the 388 gallon sat.So I wont be putting the first old fish in the new tank till march or april.I myself think the sohal is a beautiful fish but I'm worry about him to.Also with my fish list or yours would add the blue striped or the regal instead of the blue ring?I heard that the emperor angel color fade as they get older is that true.The anthias I was looking at were the blotched or the bartlett anthias but nothing is in stone

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 12:34 PM
I was also told on here that I would be good with that many angel in one tank.But I'm not say thats true I dont know I just saying what I was told.I like the dogface puffer also

flameangel88
12/22/2008, 01:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13995378#post13995378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psilentchild
The anthias I was looking at were the blotched or the bartlett anthias but nothing is in stone

Depending on where you live and how you plan to maintain lower temperature for the tank as the blotched anthias are deeperwater fish. I'm doing okay with the 2 I got back in March and I feed twice a day and one snack before I go to bed.

As with multiple angels try to add the same time and more importantly have enough rocks with various cave sizes for the smaller fish to dot-in-and-out for shelter. I added 6 FAs in Oct 2007 along with a juv Emp and juv Blueface and the FAs know the Emp is the big boss and BF is second.

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 02:09 PM
Are they in the same tank with your angels?So would you recommend the blotched anthias or another kind?Also so since the blue striped is kinda ify what about the regal instead of the blue ring if I can get one that is healthy and add him first?

flameangel88
12/22/2008, 02:28 PM
They were in the same tank with all the angels till last month when it was getting crowded and I think the temp was too low for some of my other fish. At the beginning of summer the temp was 79-81 and since I got a chiller because I wanted a deep water fish tank and got the temp down to currently 72-73 over the past 3 months.

I've also had to sorted out the BF, Emp, PBT, GSM, and Squirrelfish where they are in a tank with the temp set at 76.

The only other anthias experience I've is a female Yellow anthias, grows fast and sggressive toward the Borbonis. The multiple feeding requirement has kept me away from anthias and I've started looking into wrasses. Many of them are beautiful and many can tolerate other species. I recently got a pair of small Flame Wrasses (see my pattern with Flame) and enjoying it very much.

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 02:41 PM
The reason I picked the anthias was cause I wanted a schooling fish so I dont have to have them

skiprr
12/22/2008, 03:11 PM
(Now if I get the blue striped or the regal they would go in first atfter my old fish)

I have had a Blueline angel since early this year.
I have the following in my 300 FOWLR:

Pair of False Personfer angels
Regal Angel
Pair of Flame angels
Emperor Angel
trio of Semilarvartus butterflies
pair of Mystery Wrasse's
Cleaner wrasse
Pair of Flame Hawks
Twin Spot Hogfish
GoldFlake Angel

The Blueline angel I have is the Maze variety which looks the same as a regular Blueline except the face is almost solid blue. Some online vendors charge more for this for some reason.

Anyhow, my blueline was harrased by my large personifer for a few weeks after I added him. He eats everything I feed them from flakes to pellets to Frozen food. I had a slight ich outbreak, dosed the tank with cupramine and all my fish made it through.

They have always been one of my favorite angels. If you can find one eating, I say go for it. I picked mine up from my LFS here in SD. It was eating a little when i bought it.

BTW, I have had my Regal Angel (indo) for almost 2 years and I find this fish to be the most agressive of all the fishes I have for some reason.

Good luck.

flameangel88
12/22/2008, 03:56 PM
skiprr--
How big is your pair of false personifer? Did you purchased them male and female or just that one turned into a male? I've 2 and the first one came in at 3.25" and another one at 3". The first one is now about 4-4.5" and the smaller one is only 3.5". I only see males for sale in the 6-7".
Thanks.

btw--love your fish selection.

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 04:01 PM
Man angels are some pretty fish.I wish I could take out the sohal and do the bicolor,scribbled,blue ring,queen,blue striped, and the regal angel in that tank.But I think thats one too many angels.I can only wish.Well looking at skiprr he has 5 in his tank and my tank is bigger.I still think I would be asking for trouble especially with the queen

LisaD
12/22/2008, 06:11 PM
skiprr has an awesome stock list, those are all great fish. BTW, I count eight angels. :) But I think they are from five genera - Chaetodontoplus, Apolemichthys, Pygolites, Pomacanthus and Centropyge.

I think you'd be asking for trouble with the queen. note that most of skiprr's angels stay on the small to medium side, well under 12". the only large angel, and the only Pomacanthus, is the emperor.

I am not an experienced multiple angel keeper, just starting, so I don't feel comfortable giving you a strong opinion on the stocking. do read up on the regal, they are pretty challenging.

skiprr
12/22/2008, 07:06 PM
flameangel88
My large false personifer I have had for over two years. It's about 7-8 inches long. Same size as my Blueline angel. The smaller personifer is about 3-4 inches long. The smaller one I have had over a year. Never had problems with the two since the start..
The mose dominant fish in my tank is the emperor which I may take out of the tank..

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 09:02 PM
I'm going to go buy that angels and butterfly book and get to reading

skiprr
12/22/2008, 09:04 PM
LisaD thank you for the complement.

I forgot, I have a pair of Onyx percula clowns also. No wonder it seemed like i was missing a couple of fishes from my list..

LisaD
12/22/2008, 09:11 PM
I'm going to go buy that angels and butterfly book and get to reading

just about anything by Scott Michael is good. the only thing I disagree with him about is I think he underestimates minimum tank size.

LisaD thank you for the complement.

your welcome, thank you for that inspired stock list. do you happen to have any pictures of your tank?

BTW, I really do have a life, sometimes, outside of RC. I have been at work by myself most of the day, with some nasty deadlines. I think messing around on RC is my way of saying I've had enough, even though I can't leave till I'm done. (well, I can leave, but I can't leave town until I finish the work!) :(

skiprr
12/22/2008, 09:14 PM
I don't know how to post pictures in this site.

I will try and take pictures this week and see if I can figure out..

LisaD
12/22/2008, 09:17 PM
I can't do it either. I even had to have help with my avatar.

flameangel88
12/22/2008, 09:35 PM
Posting pictures here seem challenging in the beginning but once you get the hang of it you'll post pictures non-stop (like I do).

Sign up for an acc't like photobucket.com (or any other free hosting site) and upload your pictures there (I upload all family functions and give out passwords for their viewing) and copy the 'direct link' address there and come back to RC to post reply. Up at the top where you the line http:?? @ IMG # go click on IMG and a dialog box pops up there you paste the 'direct link' address and you are set.

If you have any problem doing it PM me and I'll be more than happy to walk you through or I can post them for you. Couple of members in the Photography forum helped me out couple of years ago and I've been posting pix since.

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 09:52 PM
So what is the rule on angels? I here some say you would be ok just as long as there are from different familes if you have a big enough tank?

psilentchild
12/22/2008, 10:44 PM
Off the fish list that I gave which fish would you get rid of to get the regal and blue striped angel?

LisaD
12/23/2008, 12:16 AM
psilent, I don't know the rules, just what I've learned from the reading and talking to multiple angel keepers. I'd look at what the long term successful keepers are doing, and what they did to get there. I'd ask someone who had a stock list similar to what you want in a similar sized (or at least not larger) tank how they do it. I'd look for someone who had angels they'd kept together at least a few years. there are quite a few folks like that on the boards. when it comes to keeping several angels in a tank, I'm still learning.

psilentchild
12/23/2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks for all the information

LargeAngels
12/23/2008, 08:05 AM
Sometimes it is more of an art form than rules for angels. Different sizes, color and families. Generally aggressive angels are macs, queens and passers. Behind that is emperor and blueface, but there are some emperors and bluefaces that are not aggressive.

The other thing to watch out for is that the dynamics can change very quickly. Calm for months, years and then all of the sudden there is severe aggression. Keep them all well fed. If they don't need to compete for food there is less aggression.

psilentchild
12/23/2008, 09:28 AM
Ok since the blue striped and the scribbled angel are apart of the same family. I like the scribbled angel more so the blue striped is gone.So what if I take the queen angel. trio anthias and sohal tang off the list and add the regal angel and a pair o racoon butterly

LisaD
12/23/2008, 09:36 AM
Ok since the blue striped and the scribbled angel are apart of the same family. I like the scribbled angel more so the blue striped is gone.So what if I take the queen angel. trio anthias and sohal tang off the list and add the regal angel and a pair o racoon butterly

psilentchild, FWIW, my emperor is pretty assertive. The blueface is showing that some, too. Just something to consider when you are talking about adding a queen with some smaller and less aggressive angels...

LargeAngels, great point about feeding to reduce aggression. I feed my tank twice a day, but all fish seem to want to eat, all the time. They are all fat and thick, but have different ability to compete for food. I also do the seaweed clip, alternating red and green.

What are your thoughts on automatic feeders? I work all day, so can't feed mid-day. Two of the three angels in my 210 will eat flake, as will the rabbitfish and puffer (and sometimes even the Brazilian dragon moray!) I will be out of town almost a week, starting tomorrow. Pet sitter is good, and will feed twice a day, but it's not the same as me being there, watching the tank...

I've seen a number of posts lately from people using automatic feeders, thinking of picking one up today.

BTW, could you list your stock in the angel tank, and how long you've had each? :)

psilentchild
12/23/2008, 09:50 AM
What about the new list where I take the queen,sohal, trio anthias, and add the regal angel and a pair off racoon butterly

LargeAngels
12/24/2008, 08:56 AM
I think automatic feeders are great.

jnc914
12/24/2008, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14008136#post14008136 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels
I think automatic feeders are great.

LargeAngels---have you ever attempted to pair Bluelines? My supplier got in 7 of them, I had already reserved a 4-5" but he got in a couple of 3". I was thinking of attempting a pair, but other than Kevin (Flameangel88), I have not seen too many attempt to keep a pair. Any input would be awesome.

skiprr
12/24/2008, 01:12 PM
I would be interested to see if this could be done

psilentchild
12/24/2008, 02:08 PM
See if what would work?

skiprr
12/24/2008, 02:10 PM
pairing off the Bluestripe angel..

LargeAngels
12/26/2008, 09:01 AM
jnc914: Just get two that have a size difference. The sizes he got in should work well.

jnc914
12/26/2008, 07:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14017228#post14017228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels
jnc914: Just get two that have a size difference. The sizes he got in should work well.

I got a 2" & 3" Blueline today from my supplier. The next size up was a 5.5", which is considered a medium. I opted to take the two smaller. I put up some pics in the Reef Fish forum. Hopefully they will be civil to each other.

LisaD
12/31/2008, 09:05 AM
how are they doing?

jnc914
12/31/2008, 06:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14048807#post14048807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
how are they doing?

They are actually doing pretty well. I got them to eat within a 2 day period. I gave them daily FW and Formalin dips for 4 days and than put them in the display as there was no fluke or velvet seen after the dips. The only issue I had was with my Male Meridithi, who took an immediate disliking to both Bluelines. It got bad enough that I yanked him from the display on put him in a mature 40 gallon breeder tank. BTW, how long should I keep the Meridithi out of the display?

flameangel88
12/31/2008, 07:28 PM
I'd do 3-5 days only as you don't want to put too much stress on the f Pers.

skiprr
12/31/2008, 08:08 PM
I had the same issue with my BLueline and Meridith angel. I cornered the blueline for a week or so with egg crates to let them get used to seeing each other. After ai let the BL go, there was some chasiong for another few weeks or so. They know pretty much ignore each other..